Common Game Scenarios

1982Alum

Poor passing, poor shooting, poor defense, general lack of effort overall.

When will it change?

When we get better players. Oh, and the last part is garbage. This team hasn't had a lack of effort. They are just bad.

You keep saying this. You are going to hurt their feelings. :cray:

That's why I would advise all high school, college, and professional athletes to never read message boards.

It's just a fact. They aren't good.

They aren't. This team just simply aint good. I was proud of Golden last night though. You could tell he was trying really hard. Even after Maymon had that weak dunk, he came back down the court and drove hard as soon as he got the ball. I like the effort.

Anything, but, put the blame on the person responsible.
You keep saying that.
What should he do differently?
Oh, yes zone defense.
He's told you. they practice that.
Evidently they're worse at it than they are at man.
So now what?

it-wont-work-out.png

Common Game Scenarios...Ls
But, I do think we have ourselves a good coach. Give him time.

When we get better players. Oh, and the last part is garbage. This team hasn't had a lack of effort. They are just bad.

I love how everybody on this board went from this team could be a contender, while at maui, to this team is just bad.

I also believe 90% of the people in the basketball forum say "Golden is a terrible point guard", but were on his nuts after the game against memphis.

It looks like to me you can not make up your mind about any of our players.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-basketball/150392-etsu-postgame-report.html

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-basketball/151442-we-have-2-5-decent-sec.html

So is Golden a good basketball player or not?

Does Tatum have a basketball IQ? He can find his strenth on offense, but doesn't have a good basketball IQ?

Just be consistent is all I am saying. Do not change your oppinion after one game.

Last edited:
I love how everybody on this board went from this team could be a contender, while at maui, to this team is just bad.

I also believe 90% of the people in the basketball forum say "Golden is a terrible point guard", but were on his nuts after the game against memphis.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-basketball/150392-etsu-postgame-report.html

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-basketball/151442-we-have-2-5-decent-sec.html

When he takes the ball to the hole and doesn't turn it over he is. Are you trying to tell that Golden played well for a month?

I also think it's pretty obvious this team overachieved at Maui.

I mean, you remember everyone after the Cincy game in football? That's what fans do. Overreact to good things and bad things.

I also think it's pretty obvious this team overachieved at Maui.

I mean, you remember everyone after the Cincy game in football? That's what fans do. Overreact to good things and bad things.

This is exactly what I am saying you do everytime there is a game. Go back and read

When he takes the ball to the hole and doesn't turn it over he is. Are you trying to tell that Golden played well for a month?

What I am saying is you change your mind like a 19 yr old girl does about which shoe she wants.

What I am saying is you change your mind like a 19 yr old girl does about which shoe she wants.

Golden played horrible for a month. For the last three games he has played well. I don't get your point.

Maybe I should make something clear:

A game report is not prediction based. It's based on what I see from that game. When I say Cam Tatum found his strength on offense, I'm saying he's done in that particular game, or maybe the last couple games. Not that he's going to do that all year. Or when I say Trae Golden has played bad, that doesn't mean he's a bad player, or I think he's going to continue to play bad. It means, hey this game (or previous games) he has played bad.

In the ETSU game, when I said the point guard play was going to cost this team a tourney bid, I meant that because we had a lot of winnable OOC games that cost us because of shoddy PG play. Now, I don't know how Golden is going to play the rest of the year. I'm not a pyschic. I never said Golden was a good player or a bad player. I said he was a decent player. I've meant that for most of the year, because while he has struggle, he still has lots of talent.

Maybe I should make something clear:

A game report is not prediction based. It's based on what I see from that game. When I say Cam Tatum found his strength on offense, I'm saying he's done in that particular game, or maybe the last couple games. Not that he's going to do that all year. Or when I say Trae Golden has played bad, that doesn't mean he's a bad player, or I think he's going to continue to play bad. It means, hey this game (or previous games) he has played bad.

In the ETSU game, when I said the point guard play was going to cost this team a tourney bid, I meant that because we had a lot of winnable OOC games that cost us because of shoddy PG play. Now, I don't know how Golden is going to play the rest of the year. I'm not a pyschic. I never said Golden was a good player or a bad player. I said he was a decent player. I've meant that for most of the year, because while he has struggle, he still has lots of talent.

But, he is one of our 2.5 decent sec players. So is it him or is it the team around him?

But, he is one of our 2.5 decent sec players. So is it him or is it the team around him?

I think Trae is a decent player. After him and Maymon, those are the only consistent SEC players. And McRae at the beginning of the season, but not now. Not sure I've said different.

We haven't had talent depth in 40 years (some could argue Jerry Green inherited a very talented squad but even those guys flopped at the next level). We landed a good coach that could out scheme most and play to his strengths. We as fans raised our expectations as we should have.

We fired a good coach - as we should have. But I'll continue to maintain we have a crappy coach now. I'll admit I knew nothing about this guy going into the season so I gave him half a year to make my judgements. I've seen enough. He's been sorely unimpressive to down right disappointing.

Some can continue to blame the players and call them the problem, but with a little coaching these guys could look and play a ton better. Their record may be only two or three games better but they would at least look like they know what's going on. Right now we're good at substituting out hot players, not calling timeouts when our defense breaksdown two trips in a row, jacking up 24 foot clankers with 30 seconds on the shot clock, o-laying on dunks, and staying back on the offensive end in case the other team misses a shot and we can throw it the length of the court for an easy layup.

I gave him half a year to make my judgements. I've seen enough. He's been sorely unimpressive to down right disappointing.

Some can continue to blame the players and call them the problem, but with a little coaching these guys could look and play a ton better. Their record may be only two or three games better but they would at least look like they know what's going on. Right now we're good at substituting out hot players, not calling timeouts when our defense breaksdown two trips in a row, jacking up 24 foot clankers with 30 seconds on the shot clock, o-laying on dunks, and staying back on the offensive end in case the other team misses a shot and we can throw it the length of the court for an easy layup.
If that's what you see, it puzzles me that you're still watching.
Why not, become a KY fan until we get back.
You obviously have no faith in this staff after giving them all of 14 games.

VN Store

Back