Jordan McRae

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Some people are frustrated with him right now. And I get that.

But McRae is going to be a big time player for us in the future.

He's young. He's immature in terms of basketball and last year was immature off the court. He's improved the latter. He's getting there with the former.

Jordan has a good, positive attitude. He's always one of the first off the bench to jump and down, encouraging the guys. Even when he is struggling, he still is right there with the guys, not sulking on the bench. For a young kid struggling, that's a really good sign.

He has a natural ability to score, just needs more experience. You can't teach his ability to score, his length, his athleticism or his ability to get to the hole. He needs to improve his handle. Despite his struggles, he's shooting 40% from 3, and 86% from the line. He has shown his ability to defend, but needs to understand that needs to be shown 100% of the time.

He needs to get stronger and he will. McRae is going to be a star in 2012 and one of the best scorers in the South. I'm really excited about his future.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope he gives us dunk this year vs. Memphis like he did last year

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn9JUInrYgY[/youtube]

He just concerns me with his inability at times to put the ball down and go left or pass out of a bad shot

I think he will end up an average player

IMO it all depends on his maturity. McRae has shown us flashes of what he can do but has the potential to be a really solid player for us. When he gets his emotions in check, he'll be special. He has a natural ability to create his own shot, has a strong work ethic, and seems to be a really good team player (encouragement etc) but still plays young. I really hope this kid adds about 20 more lbs in the offseason.

IMO it all depends on his maturity. McRae has shown us flashes of what he can do but has the potential to be a really solid player for us. When he gets his emotions in check, he'll be special. He has a natural ability to create his own shot, has a strong work ethic, and seems to be a really good team player (encouragement etc) but still plays young. I really hope this kid adds about 20 more lbs in the offseason.

My thoughts exactly.

McRae playing at 225 lbs would be a scary thought for opponents. Wish he could bulk up to that size.

I see McRae as another Scotty Hopson. Lots of potential, but.......
I think it's possible, but still too early to tell. I think McRae is a much more aggressive and tougher player than Scotty (especially on defense), but ultimately he seems too in love with the 3 point shot and is incredibly inconsistent in the same way Hopson was.

Again, I think Scotty was a very soft player and McRae isn't at all, which could be the difference. McRae plays with a chip on his shoulder and plays tough. Hopson was the opposite.

Hopson had much more natural ability than McRae, but wasn't mentally prepared to be the superstar he was groomed to be by his handlers and fans.

Give him til the end of this season to see how Martin works with him.. Lots of potential, but it ultimately ends up in his hands. Just pray he doesn't have Hopson Syndrome..

First symptom is getting the flat top...

Hopson had much more natural ability than McRae, but wasn't mentally prepared to be the superstar he was groomed to be by his handlers and fans.

I don't think Hopson had any more natural ability at all. McRae is longer, probably more athletic, more explosive, and is every bit as good of a shooter. Hopson was just overrated coming out of high school.

I don't think Hopson had any more natural ability at all. McRae is longer, probably more athletic, more explosive, and is every bit as good of a shooter. Hopson was just overrated coming out of high school.

Agree to disagree. The difference in athleticism in two athletes like Hopson and McRae is minute. Suffice to say, they are both freak athletes.

Hopson was also 2 inches taller and 25-30 pounds heavier, so I question whether McRae was longer at all, if any. Both are streaky shooters. Neither is a good ball-handler.

My comment was not to be taken as Hopson was heads and tails better than McRae, and the talent differential may be inconsequential at that, but I do think Hopson has a bit more God-given ability, though maybe not much more. Just my opinion. I do agree he was overrated coming out of high school. Time will tell I guess. They are on similar paces from a numbers standpoint. Scotty averaged 12 ppg as a soph. McRae is around 11 ppg.

Chris, I tend to agree with you. I feel like Hopson had much more natural ability and seemed very fluid in his skill. Jordy seems a little out of control at times, but that comes with inexperience. He's basically playing his freshman year over right now since he rode the pine all last season. The knock on Hopson was that he was considered "soft" and lacked that killer instinct that separate good and very good players. I think both have NBA athleticism, but putting it all together was a problem for Hopson. Jordy has some time to develop and he isn't relied upon as much as we relied on Hopson. The pressure is what seemed to get to Scotty and I don't think Jordy has the same pressure at this point in time with the balanced scoring we have.

Agree to disagree. The difference in athleticism in two athletes like Hopson and McRae is minute. Suffice to say, they are both freak athletes.

Hopson was also 2 inches taller and 25-30 pounds heavier, so I question whether McRae was longer at all, if any. Both are streaky shooters. Neither is a good ball-handler.

My comment was not to be taken as Hopson was heads and tails better than McRae, and the talent differential may be inconsequential at that, but I do think Hopson has a bit more God-given ability, though maybe not much more. Just my opinion. I do agree he was overrated coming out of high school. Time will tell I guess. They are on similar paces from a numbers standpoint. Scotty averaged 12 ppg as a soph. McRae is around 11 ppg.

Chris, I tend to agree with you. I feel like Hopson had much more natural ability and seemed very fluid in his skill. Jordy seems a little out of control at times, but that comes with inexperience. He's basically playing his freshman year over right now since he rode the pine all last season. The knock on Hopson was that he was considered "soft" and lacked that killer instinct that separate good and very good players. I think both have NBA athleticism, but putting it all together was a problem for Hopson. Jordy has some time to develop and he isn't relied upon as much as we relied on Hopson. The pressure is what seemed to get to Scotty and I don't think Jordy has the same pressure at this point in time with the balanced scoring we have.

I agree about the pressure aspect. I had typed out something similar, but deleted it because my post was getting lengthy. I was going to say that the expectations placed upon Scotty were miles beyond what expectations were for McRae, and that seems to effect some people's view of both. I think we all agree that Scotty was overrated coming out and scouts and coaches alike were more in love with his athleticism than his actual skill-level. I think Hopson and McRae mirror each other in many ways, but I feel Scotty had a touch more ability (not a ton) and McRae has more mental toughness.

I agree about the pressure aspect. I had typed out something similar, but deleted it because my post was getting lengthy. I was going to say that the expectations placed upon Scotty were miles beyond what expectations were for McRae, and that seems to effect some people's view of both. I think we all agree that Scotty was overrated coming out and scouts and coaches alike were more in love with his athleticism than his actual skill-level. I think Hopson and McRae mirror each other in many ways, but I feel Scotty had a touch more ability (not a ton) and McRae has more mental toughness.

Agree. Chris, you need to come around more often. :hi:

Fair enough.

And I'm not sure McRae is more mentally tough, just more tough in general. More of an alpha dog, aggressive type player. Scotty didn't have that.

Time will tell! There's a lot to like about McRae though.

Edit: Just realized in my original comment that I said "much more talent", which was unintentional. I must have gotten carried away typing on my phone. Apologies for any confusion. To be clear, I feel Scotty has more natural ability, not a great deal more.

Agree. Chris, you need to come around more often. :hi:

I try to get in here when I can.

This forum has become much more tolerable in the last few months..wink wink. I think that statement is transparent enough for most to understand, while also veiled just enough to not be removed by mods.

You and I have had disagreements, which will happen, but I do enjoy your passion, as I share it myself.

Hopson had the most explosive first step for someone of his stature that I have ever seen. Few may have been equal, but I've never seen better. McRae is already a better ball handler than Hopson ever was, he just gets out of control more. I've never seen a guard get the ball raked more than Hopson on a per touch basis. Hopson was an athletic savant. Reminds me of the book Of Mice and Men with the ball being Hopson's rabbits

This forum has become much more tolerable in the last few months..wink wink. I think that statement is transparent enough for most to understand, while also veiled just enough to not be removed by mods.

You and I have had disagreements, which will happen, but I do enjoy your passion, as I share it myself.

Agreed!!!

McRae settles for the 3 too often. He does not seem to have confidence to take it to the goal. I hope he develops that part of his game.If he does, he can be a special player.

It's a lot better than the football or recruiting forum right now.

I think everyone has calmed down, especially with the winning streak. Also, a couple people have not shown their faces and that has helped. Also people realize Pearl is gone, and Martin is here.

The basketball forum has lost a good amount of people, and while that makes me sad, it also makes it much more tolerable.

It's a lot better than the football or recruiting forum right now.

I think everyone has calmed down, especially with the winning streak. Also, a couple people have not shown their faces and that has helped. Also people realize Pearl is gone, and Martin is here.

The basketball forum has lost a good amount of people, and while that makes me sad, it also makes it much more tolerable.

That's the ticket he was trying to get punched

VN Store

Back