ETSU Postgame Report

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Renaldo Woolridge, just keep doing what you're doing. That's exactly what we need from you.

2. Cam Tatum, thank you for figuring out your strength on offense. Also, pretty good defense.

3. The defense rebounding was atrocious tonight. That was inexcusable.

4. The point guard play on this team is going to cost them a tourney bid.

5. I don't get Kenny Hall. Get that man a sports psychologist. But man did he change the game tonight.

6. I thought our defense was good tonight. We just didn't rebound.

7. This is the worst passing team I've seen. Maymon was open 15 times tonight and they continually didn't look at him. Hell, he stomped his foot at one point.

8. Skylar McBee really helped bring out the zone. He's becoming a threat.

9. This team needs to learn to penetrate a zone. Seriously. Nobody took the ball to the hole.

10. Two game winning streak. With this team, you take any win. You win Wednesday, you're back at .500...this is why you don't panic in basketball.

Points 4, 7 and 9 are all inter-related. If we could fix 4, 7 and 9 wouldn't be an issue.

Edit: saying that, I don't know what the fix for PG problem is. Golden is a Soph with almost no experience, and Washpun is a Freshman. Unless we can put them in time machines, the only fix is to let them take their lumps and hopefully be better come February and March.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Points 4, 7 and 9 are all inter-related. If we could fix 4, 7 and 9 wouldn't be an issue.

Edit: saying that, I don't know what the fix for PG problem is. Golden is a Soph with almost no experience, and Washpun is a Freshman. Unless we can put them in time machines, the only fix is to let them take their lumps and hopefully be better come February and March.

You can't fix it. It's just a mess right now sadly.

Defense was better for the most part. Rebounding was atrocious, especially defensively. We still don't cause enough TO's and continue to turn it over too often ourselves. Kenny Hall has played well twice in a row now. Woolridge has as well.

It's nice to see us come from behind again after trailing at the half. Two games in a row. It is concerning however, that we have been down in the second half to teams like UNCA and ETSU at home. That does not bode well for the future against better teams. We need to play better for 40 minutes.

Reactions: 1 person
Golden looks like he has already been put through a time machine. He looks like a growned up man.

Defense was better for the most part. Rebounding was atrocious, especially defensively. We still don't cause enough TO's and continue to turn it over too often ourselves. Kenny Hall has played well twice in a row now. Woolridge has as well.

It's nice to see us come from behind again after trailing at the half. Two games in a row. It is concerning however, that we have been down in the second half to teams like UNCA and ETSU at home. That does not bode well for the future against better teams. We need to play better for 40 minutes.

To this point, it might be time for McBee to start and McRae to come off the bench. McRae is forcing things right now and his lack of success on offense is affecting his defense. McBee is playing the crunch time minutes now anyway, might as well see if starting him, can keep us out of early deficits.

To this point, it might be time for McBee to start and McRae to come off the bench. McRae is forcing things right now and his lack of success on offense is affecting his defense. McBee is playing the crunch time minutes now anyway, might as well see if starting him, can keep us out of early deficits.

I wouldn't mind seeing McBee start. I have always thought we should separate McRae and Tatum's playing time because they are virtually the same player. Right now, Tatum is playing well and McBee is as well. McRae could provide a spark off the bench.

I disagree on McRae forcing the issue right now though. He has stopped putting up bad shots and is playing more under control by contributing in other ways aside from scoring. He has only taken six shots in the past two games. Earlier in the year, he was forcing up shots trying to find his rhythm, but now it seems like he recognizes good shots and passes up bad ones. When he is not feeling it, he hasn't forced up some errant, ill-advised shot.

Golden has almost no experience? He's had enough to play a lot smarter than he's been playing...

Golden has almost no experience? He's had enough to play a lot smarter than he's been playing...

I agree, wholeheartedly, but he has already shown that he can play extremely well at this level. I look forward to seeing how he does in late January and early February, having an extremely talented player like Stokes to pass the ball to, and a few games of SEC play under his belt.

I'm looking forward to the Georgia game on January, 18. That could be a turning point-type game after several tough losses.

If the Vols can somehow find a way to win 9 or 10 of their last 15, and at least one in the SEC Tourney, we could be looking at a possible NIT bid....

I agree, wholeheartedly, but he has already shown that he can play extremely well at this level. I look forward to seeing how he does in late January and early February, having an extremely talented player like Stokes to pass the ball to, and a few games of SEC play under his belt.

I'm looking forward to the Georgia game on January, 18. That could be a turning point-type game after several tough losses.

If the Vols can somehow find a way to win 9 or 10 of their last 15, and at least one in the SEC Tourney, we could be looking at a possible NIT bid....

Win Wednesday and let's get back to .500. The SEC is down, and we are slowly getting better. Still think we can get 15 wins.

Win Wednesday and let's get back to .500. The SEC is down, and we are slowly getting better. Still think we can get 15 wins.

I've been poring over the schedule all night doing best case/ worst case scenarios, and I truly think 16 wins is a strong possibility. We could also get about 11-12, as well, though....

I agree, you go with the hot hand.

1. Renaldo Woolridge, just keep doing what you're doing. That's exactly what we need from you.

2. Cam Tatum, thank you for figuring out your strength on offense. Also, pretty good defense.

5. I don't get Kenny Hall. Get that man a sports psychologist. But man did he change the game tonight.

7. This is the worst passing team I've seen. Maymon was open 15 times tonight and they continually didn't look at him. Hell, he stomped his foot at one point.

9. This team needs to learn to penetrate a zone. Seriously. Nobody took the ball to the hole.

10. Two game winning streak. With this team, you take any win. You win Wednesday, you're back at .500...this is why you don't panic in basketball.
Really, what I think you are saying, in a different way, is that this team has absolutely no basketball savvy.

An old nickname sums it up. These are latest incarnation of the Cardiac Kids! At 66 I better give up smoking, drinking or this team.

I didn't watch the game only listened so this might be a stretch or being extremely optimistic.

It seemed to me that CM really showed the last 5minutes of the game that he is starting to really understand what buttons to push and acquiring a comfort zone. The kids played extremely smart down the stretch and that is a very encouraging sign in close games going forward. Those that watched is that close to being accurate?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't think ETSU is a barometer of anything. Memphis and UF coming soon.

This team seems to be based upon Maymon. If his energy is high and he is getting after everything then this team plays well. Skylar does not need to start. Not quick enough to guard most players. Let him be the 6th man which is suiting him right now.

VN Store

Back