Jarnell is making a "business decision" on Thursday

Rorban

I'm sure you've heard the quote he made:
"I don't want to turn my back on my city, but it's a business decision."

I know a lot of you guys would love to have him, but I'm completely turned off by any prospect choosing a school based on exposure for the NBA rather than wanting to be apart of winning on the collegiate level. I much rather prefer basketball players who work themselves into NBA prospects rather than guys who think from Day 1 everything revolves around the NBA.

Compare/Contrast what we witnessed with Scotty Hopson as a freshman in comparison to what we witnessed with Tobias Harris as a freshman.

As a top recruit, Hopson was terribly selfish & made stupid plays in his quest to impress NBA scouts as a freshman. Pearl had to make some promises to talk him out of Mississippi State and that caused a disconnect between Scotty & the team as a freshman. Problem is it never changed, and then it became Scotty's disconnect with reality as he kept returning hoping it would raise his draft stock. Hes now currently playing in Greece.

Tobias Harris on the other hand came in without his mindset focused on getting to the NBA as a freshman. He picked Tennessee because he loved the program, style of play, & Coach Pearl. He played hard and he worked himself onto the NBA Draft radar by the middle of his freshman season, and by the end of the season he was being projected as a borderline 1st rounder. He only left because with many of the top prospects returning, his stock was boosted into the Top 20 picks.

If Jarnell does pick UT, we'll see where he falls on that line. I just dont like seeing a kid viewing his college choice as a "business decision" towards the NBA. He has a bunch of idiot advisers around him who influenced his bad decision to transfer schools. I just hate seeing HS athletes in general be influenced by family/friends/advisors around them creating a fantasy of how things should go in college. I've seen this story play out far too many times in football & basketball and often it doesn't end well.

Maybe his "business decision" is about being able to start school on scholarship in January and start playing, instead of sitting out the semester, with no team to play on and work out with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Tobias Harris absolutely came here with a mindset toward the NBA. His father was very clear about that.

Reactions: 6 people
Not every recruit we get is going to end up with this "storybook, I love UT til I die" attitude. If he wants to go to the NBA, good for him, he'll have to play well to get a good draft slot. It's a win/win.

Reactions: 2 people
Most people, athletes or not, make a business decision about college. College is about putting yourself in the best position to succeed in your career, whatever that may be (NBA, NFL, businessman, engineer, etc).

Reactions: 4 people
For us to assume these top flight recruits view college as anything but a quick pitstop on their way to millions is painfully naive.

I don't blame the kids. They have world class talent and need to capitalize on it as quickly as they can.

Whether or not they pull an Antoine Walker and go bankrupt after making hundreds of millions is inconsequential to me.

Reactions: 3 people

I know a lot of you guys would love to have him, but I'm completely turned off by any prospect choosing a school based on exposure for the NBA rather than wanting to be apart of winning on the collegiate level. I much rather prefer basketball players who work themselves into NBA prospects rather than guys who think from Day 1 everything revolves around the NBA.

Compare/Contrast what we witnessed with Scotty Hopson as a freshman in comparison to what we witnessed with Tobias Harris as a freshman.

As a top recruit, Hopson was terribly selfish & made stupid plays in his quest to impress NBA scouts as a freshman. Pearl had to make some promises to talk him out of Mississippi State and that caused a disconnect between Scotty & the team as a freshman. Problem is it never changed, and then it became Scotty's disconnect with reality as he kept returning hoping it would raise his draft stock. Hes now currently playing in Greece.

Tobias Harris on the other hand came in without his mindset focused on getting to the NBA as a freshman. He picked Tennessee because he loved the program, style of play, & Coach Pearl. He played hard and he worked himself onto the NBA Draft radar by the middle of his freshman season, and by the end of the season he was being projected as a borderline 1st rounder. He only left because with many of the top prospects returning, his stock was boosted into the Top 20 picks.

If Jarnell does pick UT, we'll see where he falls on that line. I just dont like seeing a kid viewing his college choice as a "business decision" towards the NBA. He has a bunch of idiot advisers around him who influenced his bad decision to transfer schools. I just hate seeing HS athletes in general be influenced by family/friends/advisors around them creating a fantasy of how things should go in college. I've seen this story play out far too many times in football & basketball and often it doesn't end well.

And how is that NBA gig working out for Scotty now?

lol - such a contradiction - like BPV said - its the exact same mindset Tobias came in with. All business.

U should stop watching d1 basketball and football then, because that's what it's about for almost all d1 athletes...u need to wake up.. I think u might be a little naive

Business decision or not, he comes in and we instantly have a better team and will win more games and just maybe have a chance to go to the dance. If he leaves after this season, we get another one and the cycle repeats.

If it is a business decision, then he goes to Ky. and goes pro early.

viewed college as a business decision, because it is. I don't know what else you call the potential investment of $100K to $200K over a 4 year period. Not looking at it as a "business" decision is one of the reasons we have so many kids $100K in debt with nothing to show for it but a "studies" degree. An athlete has the same decisions to make. If his career goal is NBA, then he'd better take the school's ability to train for the NBA into consideration.

And before the "but he's on scholarship" counter comes back, a college athlete earns every penny of that scholarship money and what they do with it is most certainly an investment of their money.
Most people, athletes or not, make a business decision about college. College is about putting yourself in the best position to succeed in your career, whatever that may be (NBA, NFL, businessman, engineer, etc).

This thread is pretty stupid. Of course it's a business decision, he'd be stupid to not view it as one.

Some of you guys need to wake up to the reality of major college sports.

Reactions: 1 person
It's a high school student. Who knows what he means? Why waste time trying to figure out?

Please remove your head from that large pile of sand it's currently buried under. If you were in his shoes you'd have the same mentality with a shot at multiple millions on the line. You need to grow up just a little

Reactions: 1 person
Can someone clear this up for me? So if he chooses UK or Memphis, can he play this year or not because he will have to walk-on?

Can someone clear this up for me? So if he chooses UK or Memphis, can he play this year or not because he will have to walk-on?

No he cannot play this year at UK or Memphis because he officially visited both schools and you can't officially visit and walk on at the school and play.

Now that doesn't mean he wont still go to Memphis or UK, he just won't see the floor there this year unlike he would at UT, Arkansas, or FLA

No he cannot play this year at UK or Memphis because he officially visited both schools and you can't officially visit and walk on at the school and play.

He can only not play if he receives institutional funds from either school. Paying his own way (unlikely) or receiving a scholarship like the HOPE would mean he could play in the Spring.

Get over it....It is what it is....We whore the kids out and they whore us out....It is a buisness decision for everybody when speaking of this caliber of player...

He comes and plays which generates team buzz and money....

Kids dream of going to the NBA and only a few make it, so why not....make it a buisness....It will always be one for all concerned.....

Nobody plays for free.....If KY were not loaded as usual I would think that he would be headed there.....Its all a con....and everybody has their own agenda.....College sports is turning into what can you do for me versus being a die hard lifelong dream being fullfilled....

If he comes here, welcome and know that he is the norm when it comes to buisness decisions.....At least he admitted it openly.....

VN Store

Back