Quick Thoughts about the game...

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
1. Cam Tatum finally played well. That's all he needs to do. Float around the 3 point line and hit open shots. He did that.

2. Jordan McRae sucked today. But who was the first one off the bench, going bonkers to greet his teammates after Tatum hit the three to take the lead? Jordan McRae. That's a good sign.

3. Kenny Hall was very active in the first half. He played well and it help keep the game close. I wish he'd play like that all the time.

4. Trae Golden continues to absolutely suck. His shot is completely out of whack. This team won't accomplish anything if he keeps playing like that.

5. The defense was better. Not great, but better.

6. When Renaldo got into foul trouble I said "Crap, this is bad." That's how well he played tonight.

7. It's a win. It wasn't pretty, but at this point, you take the win and try to get a streak going Friday against ETSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
#2 was the most pleasing. If he keeps a good attitude I am very glad he is on our side.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
7. Woolridge seemed to actually care about the game of basketball tonight.

8. Washpun seemed to do really well and brought great energy when he came in tonight.

Sorry I forgot about Swiper, edited my post.

For what it's worth, I see nothing to encourage me that CCM knows what he is doing out there. This team has the exact same issues it did last year in terms of defense and shot selection. I see 0 improvement in that department, and if anything, it's often worse. Maymon looks like the only guy out there who has played basketball for more than a week.

7. Woolridge seemed to actually care about the game of basketball tonight.

8. Washpun seemed to do really well and brought great energy when he came in tonight.

Washpun is going to be a contributor here, and a good one. I don't know if he's a starter, but I see a guy who can give you 10-15 minutes of high energy, great defense, and can get in the lane and create something.

For what it's worth, I see nothing to encourage me that CCM knows what he is doing out there. This team has the exact same issues it did last year in terms of defense and shot selection. I see 0 improvement in that department, and if anything, it's often worse. Maymon looks like the only guy out there who has played basketball for more than a week.

That's not on Martin.

That's because these guys were overrated out of high school, and the combined basketball IQ on this team is 50.

Washpun is going to be a contributor here, and a good one. I don't know if he's a starter, but I see a guy who can give you 10-15 minutes of high energy, great defense, and can get in the lane and create something.

I agree completely. He seems like the kind of player that comes in and gets the crowd going with his energy and effort.

It's all on Martin. Don't talk that crap. He is responsible for how his team plays. They are playing exactly how they are taught to play. He must be happy with it because the same guys keep screwing up and keep playing.

That's what coaches are there for.

Maymon's improved. Hall's improved. McRae's improved. The three freshman have all contributed positively.

He doesn't have a good team. It's like 2010 UT football. No amount of coaching will fix the team's problem. Not too mention they have two starters that bring anything, and it's not Tatum/Woolridge is Lofton/J. Smith out there.

Loved the effort by Swiper tonight and Maymon and Tatum carrying us in the 2nd half. They were the difference.

Hall still stands flat flooted and watches his opponent go right by him. He's lazy as hell.

Our defense was much improved after the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half. That was the difference in the game.

We need to stop taking so many stupid 3's. We luckily got some to go down tonight, but we need to get the ball into Maymon. Golden is still learning to be a point guard.

Loved the effort by Swiper tonight and Maymon and Tatum carrying us in the 2nd half. They were the difference.

Hall still stands flat flooted and watches his opponent go right by him. He's lazy as hell.

Our defense was much improved after the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half. That was the difference in the game.

We need to stop taking so many stupid 3's. We luckily got some to go down tonight, but we need to get the ball into Maymon. Golden is still learning to be a point guard.

Maymon should be the number one option on this team. Then McRae.

I thought the defense was way better in the second half.

Hall frustrates the absolute hell out of me.

Maymon's improved. Hall's improved. McRae's improved. The three freshman have all contributed positively.

He doesn't have a good team. It's like 2010 UT football. No amount of coaching will fix the team's problem. Not too mention they have two starters that bring anything, and it's not Tatum/Woolridge is Lofton/J. Smith out there.

Maymon has improved a ton, but he is so clearly the best player on the team yet he so rarely has plays drawn up for him or gets the ball enough on offense. I contribute that to Maymon getting his act together and getting in shape more than Martin's help.

And yeah, the team isn't good, but it isn't this bad. It just isn't. There is a lot of talent on the floor. Every one of those 4 star recruits isn't that overrated. Coaches have to do their job at some point.

I don't know if anybody is watching but Golden is not a point guard. That being said CM better bench him on the next 3-point shot he puts up.

The ball should go through Maymon one way or another every single possession, without fail. Hall will give great energy and have a couple great plays, then turn around and be the laziest person on the team for several minutes. Doesn't make sense.

Maymon has improved a ton, but he is so clearly the best player on the team yet he so rarely has plays drawn up for him or gets the ball enough on offense. I contribute that to Maymon getting his act together and getting in shape more than Martin's help.

And yeah, the team isn't good, but it isn't this bad. It just isn't. There is a lot of talent on the floor. Every one of those 4 star recruits isn't that overrated. Coaches have to do their job at some point.

Other than McRae and Maymon, they are.

They have tons of physical talent, but yet they have no basketball IQ. You can't teach that. Have you seen some of the dumb plays we have made this year?

There is only one game that we have lost where we shouldn't. Austin Peay. And in basketball, that **** happens all the time.

Also, all these guys are A) Young. B) Never played significant minutes outside of Tatum. Very inexperienced team.

If we are doing this next year, then I will admit there are huge issues. Right now, we are just going through the ringer.

They have tons of physical talent, but yet they have no basketball IQ. You can't teach that. Have you seen some of the dumb plays we have made this year?

I'm sorry, but that is exactly what you teach. That is literally the point of a coach. All of these kids come out of high school and AAU ball used to playing one style and utilizing their athleticism, than they get in college and learn how to play. The good schools with good coaches get these kids and teach them how to play together. We don't.

We can agree to disagree I guess, but I'm not sure I understand what you think the point of a coach is.

These guys have the basketball IQ that their coaches give them. You're not born with IQ it is taught.

VN Store

Back