Beside Tobias and Chism, would you say any other Pearl recruit lived up to their hype

VolsFan4Ever-11

I mean I see a lot of the Pearl supporters/lovers talking about how bad a job Martin has done, or is going to do in recruiting. But besides Tobias and Chism, really none of Pearl's other recruits really panned out the way everybody thought they would!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I mean I see a lot of the Pearl supporters/lovers talking about how bad a job Martin has done, or is going to do in recruiting. But besides Tobias and Chism, really none of Pearl's other recruits really panned out the way everybody thought they would!

Another rational thinker trying to post on this board. It won't work. People don't want to hear that. You are correct. Bruce was a better coach when his team used the "us against the world" mentality. i.e, year one or "gun gate". I never saw players develop under Pearl.

Goins and Maze were decent. Maymon one good game then nothing, so its yet to be seen. Now McRae does have the potential to be great!

Hopson was extremely overrated and didn't come close to living up to his potential, so I wouldn't say that he did.

Chism
Tobias
T. Smith
Hopson
Maze
Prince
Negedu
Maymon
McCrae

Some pretty good players there. Even Brian William exceeded my expectations when he came in here as a freshman.

Not really sure you can count transfer - the non-JUCO ones - and Negedu? Really?

Did the transfers not play here?

I enjoyed watching Negedu play the short time he was here. He was easily a fan favorite. Would have been a star. At the time it was a huge get for Pearl.

Who cares if the players developed... Bruce gets deep into the tournament with mediocre talent. Counzo will be lucky to win 10 games with a team Bruce would have probably been able to make the NIT with.

Reactions: 2 people
Who cares if the players developed... Bruce gets deep into the tournament with mediocre talent. Counzo will be lucky to win 10 games with a team Bruce would have probably been able to make the NIT with.
Hahaha what are you talking about he wouldn't have lost a game and won the NCAA

Chism
Tobias
T. Smith
Hopson
Maze
Prince
Negedu
Maymon
McCrae

Some pretty good players there. Even Brian William exceeded my expectations when he came in here as a freshman.

Tobias was a stud. No question. Not here long enough to say what effect Pearl had on him.

Tyler Smith - over rated imo, team played better w/o him

Hopson - over rated, superstar in his own mind

Maze - no thanks

Prince - glue guy, nothing more

Negedu - will never know

Maymon - Couldn't beat out Steven. Going to be a player, so I would say Pearl could not develop him.

Mcrae - to be determined.

edit- forgot Chism. Most wins as a vol, enough said. I will say he had less talent than some of the others, but he played with heart and desire

Reactions: 1 person
Tyler Smith got himself kicked off the team, so no.

So he didn't live up to your expectations then. Doesn't mean he's not a great basketball player and won a lot of games for us.

Hell Brandon Davies got kicked off BYU's team also for having sex.

OK, you make a point, but you also have to factor in what he did with smaller recruits/transfers. Lofton, Jujuan Smith, Prince, etc. Not to mention beating Kansas with Woolridge and McBee. At the end of the day, Coach Pearl was a winner and took Tennessee places it had never been before. That trumps all, whether or not his big recruits "panned out."

Bruce sure handled Michigan last year with this team plus 2 all americans..... Oh wait

You are an arse!!! Yeah after Hamilton said the day before that he was going to be fired. Why do you keep bringing this up in ever single thread. We can't even discuss recruits without you bringing the same statement up time and time again. No need to comment any further.

Tobias was a stud. No question. Not here long enough to say what effect Pearl had on him.

Tyler Smith - over rated imo, team played better w/o him

Hopson - over rated, superstar in his own mind

Maze - no thanks

Prince - glue guy, nothing more

Negedu - will never know

Maymon - Couldn't beat out Steven. Going to be a player, so I would say Pearl could not develop him.

Mcrae - to be determined.

edit- forgot Chism. Most wins as a vol, enough said. I will say he had less talent than some of the others, but he played with heart and desire

Wow, four of those players started for us and were 1 point away from making the final four. I'd take them in a heartbeat.

I was making a point to the poster who talked about what Bruce would do with this team, so it was relevant. Yes it's not really about the recruits, but bring it up with the poster who brought in what would Bruce do.

Wow, four of those players started for us and were 1 point away from making the final four. I'd take them in a heartbeat.

I will take Chism and Prince every day. No question asked. Maybe my glue guy statement was misinterpreted. He did everything well, but he was not going to carry a team all by himself. That being said I will take a JP on every team. Still didn't like Maze and we would have made the final four if Scotty could shoot a free throw.

VN Store

Back