Maybe CCM can come to Bristol and...

G0V0LS33

look at some basketball talent this holiday at the 2011 Arby's Classic. We let Greenville's best player in the Classic in years score at will on us last night and looks like a pretty good field once again this year. Maybe he can try to recruit some talent and get us back to the tourney in a year or two. This years team has no leadership and shoots way too much from the outside.

Reactions: 3 people
We definitely need to get some more talent but this team will be ok as the season progresses. We are having some growing pains but we look like a team. All the pieces just haven't come together yet. I cannot believe we lost to Austin Peay and we should have beat C of C as well but I am not too sore about that loss. C of C has decent talent and people on here seem to forget the type of coach that Bobby Cremins is. C of C is being coached by a very proven and very good basketball coach.

look at some basketball talent this holiday at the 2011 Arby's Classic. We let Greenville's best player in the Classic in years score at will on us last night and looks like a pretty good field once again this year. Maybe he can try to recruit some talent and get us back to the tourney in a year or two. This years team has no leadership and shoots way too much from the outside.

Everybody knows that the state of Tennessee doesn't produce good players in any men's sport. Just ask the basketball coaches, football coaches and media. They are the self proclaimed experts. Of course UF liked them when they won 2 national championships in BB. Bama seems to like some of our football players pretty well and they seem to be doing OK. Cobb looks pretty good in the NFL playing for the world champions. But I guess all those guys and more were aberrations.

Obviously I agree with you, OP.

Everybody knows that the state of Tennessee doesn't produce good players in any men's sport. Just ask the basketball coaches, football coaches and media. They are the self proclaimed experts. Of course UF liked them when they won 2 national championships in BB. Bama seems to like some of our football players pretty well and they seem to be doing OK. Cobb looks pretty good in the NFL playing for the world champions. But I guess all those guys and more were aberrations.

Obviously I agree with you, OP.

We have passed on or not been able to keep a lot of instate talent. Like you said Florida won two national championships with Lee Humphrey bombing threes left and right. He was a maryville kid in the same class as my brother and I know for a fact Lee wanted to be a vol. We really missed out on that.

As did the kid from Greenville that tore us up last night. They all have interest, we just wait on that big fish that NEVER seems to get caught by a University of Tennessee lure. There comes a time when you have to take a shot at these kids and the tourney itself boasts a LOT of out of state talent as well.

We have passed on or not been able to keep a lot of instate talent. Like you said Florida won two national championships with Lee Humphrey bombing threes left and right. He was a maryville kid in the same class as my brother and I know for a fact Lee wanted to be a vol. We really missed out on that.

"with Lee Humphrey" is a bit strong. Yes he was on the team but was surrounded by some great talent. Makes it a little easier as a shooter

if Lee wanted to be a Vol he should have Volunteered and walked on and it would work its way out. I.e. Jajuan Smith or Brandon Lopez. It irritates me to hear people say a kid wanted to go to UT but didnt because wasnt offered. I would have crawled through glass just to sit the bench at Tennessee. I would vomit at thought of playing for a rival regardless if they payed for my tuition. Now if Skylar would have went to Marshall would have been different as thats not a chief rival. I understand that happening but if Billy Donovan, John Calipari, Kevin Stallings etc.... Came to my door recruiting me because I was capable of playing I would ask them to leave my property they will not be allowed back and if they dont comply I will file trespassing charges. Sorry to keep a long story long but if any kid loves UT enough they will come regardless if offered a scholly or not.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

"with Lee Humphrey" is a bit strong. Yes he was on the team but was surrounded by some great talent. Makes it a little easier as a shooter

I totally agree. Lee was a great three point shooter though and we love to shoot the three. I would have taken him but I also watched him in high school. The talent on those Florida teams cannot be denied at all. They had a great starting 5 and some quality depth. But Lee has the record for most 3's hit in the NCAA tournament and can flat out shoot 3's from just about anywhere on the floor. He was a bigger part of that team than he gets credit for.

if Lee wanted to be a Vol he should have Volunteered and walked on and it would work its way out. I.e. Jajuan Smith or Brandon Lopez. It irritates me to hear people say a kid wanted to go to UT but didnt because wasnt offered. I would have crawled through glass just to sit the bench at Tennessee. I would vomit at thought of playing for a rival regardless if they payed for my tuition. Now if Skylar would have went to Marshall would have been different as thats not a chief rival. I understand that happening but if Billy Donovan, John Calipari, Kevin Stallings etc.... Came to my door recruiting me because I was capable of playing I would ask them to leave my property they will not be allowed back and if they dont comply I will file trespassing charges. Sorry to keep a long story long but if any kid loves UT enough they will come regardless if offered a scholly or not.

I see where you are coming from but many high school kids have the "if you don't want me, i don't want you" attitude. They feel like they have been jilted if they aren't offered. I, for one, would love to play at UT regardless of the circumstances however I can also see how taking the guaranteed free education somewhere else over trying to earn one by walking on here is appealing to an 18 year old.

Walkon instead of taking a full ride? No way.

Its funny how much righteous indignation Vol fans show over a kid leaving the state of TN to play ball elsewhere, yet UT makes a living on the recruiting trail plucking kids out of Georgia, North Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, South Carolina, etc

Stop! this thread is pointless. Seriously think Coach Martin knows nothing about local/regional tournaments and the talent pool at them? Wow.

Stop! this thread is pointless. Seriously think Coach Martin knows nothing about local/regional tournaments and the talent pool at them? Wow.
I didn't get the impression the OP was suggesting CCM wasn't aware of the tourney. IMO, he was just stating there is always some elite talent there, and it's worth attending, and he is correct.

McRae hit 3 trey's in the closing minutes. McBee and McRae are capable shooters, but McRae is real streaky

It is simply that easy of a solution.

Just for everyone's information BVU the local cable provider in Bristol VA will be playing all games on it local channel four and will be on free VOD afterwords.

Walkon instead of taking a full ride? No way.

But if you read my post. If a kid grew up cheering for UT was offered by a rival. Spit in the rivals face. But if UT doesnt offer and is not a rival then by all means. For instance Stanford offered Devrin Young and Tennessee was late getting in on him. Had the Vols not offered and he went to Stanford but had he went to Kentucky or Vandy or any other SEC school then bump that I cant ever root for the kid.

VN Store

Back