Calm Down People

1985Vols

First, let me say I have been watching UT BB for over 40 years and I have seen some really bad teams. At the same time, I have seen some great teams going back to Ernie and Bernie. With that said, I think fans need to take a step back and just relax this year. THis team lost 75% of it's scoring and rebounding from last season, is learning how to play under a new coach, and was picked to finish 11th in the SEC. So far, I would say they are on par with realistic expectations. Remember, with Hopson and Harris, they lost by alot more points to Charleston last season (at home no doubt) and also lost to Oakland (at home). Let's give Cuonzo a chance to implement his coaching on these players before we start jumping ship. He has proven he can build a program based on his record at Mizz. St. Mizz. State was 11-20 in CCM's first year there as he had to straighten out the players from the habits of the previous regime. 24-12 his 2nd year, and 26-9 last year. GIve the man some time and in the meantime, support YOUR TEAM!

Reactions: 15 people
Well stated, and I agree, except for the 40 years part. :) At any rate, this team has lost a lot of ability, and isn't left with much. We've got a long way to go, time to just be patient and deal with it.

Sad part is, no matter how much rationality you inject into your thoughts, there will still be those who refuse to see the forest for the trees.

Reactions: 2 people
If Cuonzo can snag Jarnell Stokes in the next week or so, this becomes a completely different team by next season. Even though he would be eligible to play in January and would make an immediate impact on this years' team, I think it might take until next season for him to really start taking over and be the "go-to" player we need.

Two Stokes' would not help this team. It's our PG play that sucks and last time i checked, Stokes was a SF and we already have a decent SF in Maymon.

Reactions: 1 person
Two Stokes' would not help this team. It's our PG play that sucks and last time i checked, Stokes was a SF and we already have a decent SF in Maymon.

Agree, we need a "true" PG as GOlden is a shooting guard that is trying to play PG. I hope Washpun will develop and be the PG we need and move GOlden to SG. As far as Stokes vs. Maymon, I'll take an elite PF in Stokes any day vs. a "decent" PF in Maymon. Would like to see both of them on the court at the same time with Hall coming on in relief.

People got excited when this team kept it close with ranked opponents. This team just isn't going to be very good this year. It was picked to finish 11th in the SEC for a reason

Maymon plays PF. Tatum is our SF, which is really a glorified extra SG.

After an abomination of a football season, a lot of fans are (understandably) out of patience. As the OP pointed out CCM does need time to implement his coaching, albeit with a majority of players who are either freshmen or saw hardly any playing time this year. There is no leader on the floor (yet) and no go-to guy (yet) . We are behind 2 yrs in recruiting at least because of last year's sh*tstorm and CCM is left to mop up the mess. The BP era was a helluva ride that crashed at the end. But hoops is not like football, 1-2 special players can make all the difference, and I think CCM will get those type players.

Even including Bruce, I'm now positive that Mike Hamilton included this question in his interviews.
"Do you think you could start games with a lot of passion and fire, just to let it all deflate in the second half? That's what we're looking for at Tennessee."

First, let me say I have been watching UT BB for over 40 years and I have seen some really bad teams. At the same time, I have seen some great teams going back to Ernie and Bernie. With that said, I think fans need to take a step back and just relax this year. THis team lost 75% of it's scoring and rebounding from last season, is learning how to play under a new coach, and was picked to finish 11th in the SEC. So far, I would say they are on par with realistic expectations. Remember, with Hopson and Harris, they lost by alot more points to Charleston last season (at home no doubt) and also lost to Oakland (at home). Let's give Cuonzo a chance to implement his coaching on these players before we start jumping ship. He has proven he can build a program based on his record at Mizz. St. Mizz. State was 11-20 in CCM's first year there as he had to straighten out the players from the habits of the previous regime. 24-12 his 2nd year, and 26-9 last year. GIve the man some time and in the meantime, support YOUR TEAM!

Really don't mean to be that guy, but the "MIZ" monicker (one "Z") is not in reference to the state of missouri but to the university of missouri, specifically, also known as "mizzou."

Missouri state doesn't use any "Z's" in their names, nicknames, or abbreviations, nor does the state of missouri in general.

In sum, please only use the "Z" for talking about MU.

I watched the game from the southern concourse at TD arena last night here in CHS. The place was sold out and really loud particularly in the 2d half. The problem IMO was our on ball defense and we are going to face a lot of teams that run this type offense this season (KY, FL to name 2). CCM said in the post game this will be a focal point in upcoming practice. My positive thoughts are that Dwight Miller should be getting significant playing time, and Josh Richardson is a gamer too. One thing about these TV games is that there are LOTs of extra timeouts and with the frequent substitution pattern that we are using, hurts continuity on offense. Anyway, I hope we keep C of C on the schedule in future.

As in football, I believe we have bottomed out in basketball and will get much better. CM needs time to get some good players. He has a patchwork of pieces left over from last year's disaster and attrition. It is painful for me to watch, though.

was work on on-ball defense. That,and wear 10 pound weight vests.
The problem IMO was our on ball defense and we are going to face a lot of teams that run this type offense this season (KY, FL to name 2). CCM said in the post game this will be a focal point in upcoming practice. .

Why are some fans surprised that we are struggling.I said we would do well to win 12 or 13 games now its looking like one of the worst seasons since the Wade Houston days. I dont see how we win even 10 games this season oh well maybe baseball will be better. Go Vols.

After watching the game last night I have to agree that the point guard play has to get better. But this team overall is having too many turnovers. I believe the announcers said UT is averaging around 18 a game. That is way too high for any team. Second half last night I saw Tatum getting stripped, Golden and McBee shooting "backboard" shots, no concept of taking it inside, and allowing the other team to dictate the tempo. I do believe Coach Martin has the right concept and plan, he just needs a point guard with Bball IQ. If they can sustain their 1st half play and do that in the second half they'll win some games. This team will get better.

All I know is what I have watched so far this year.......and it looks like a beautiful perfect bubble....oh so pretty....then the wind blows during halftime and we are headed straight towards the following....

link-bubble-pops.jpg

I agree with most of what you guys are saying on this thread, but this is college basketball and there was too much "out of control" offense and sloppy play/passing that shouldn't happen at this level, even if the coach and everyone is getting used to playing with each other. Some of that last night would have frustrated High School coaches. I think we will gel a bit more as the season progresses and everyone figures out each other's strengths and weaknesses, but the coach MUST address this out of control, school yard type play we see at times during the game. How many times did we do a great job on D and then run down the court like a bunch of screaming kids and just fling it to someone in traffic or worse, yank up a quick-ill advised shot? That is POOR coaching. When we played settled, controlled O in Hawaii, look what we were able to accomplish- staying with some descent teams.

Turnovers and the lack of defense, especially in the second half of games has caused this team to be on a four game losing streak. However, if these problems can be solved, this team can win some games. With improved decision making, shots and execution of the offense without unforced turnovers, this team could have won every game this season. The fact that they are playing close and are weak in areas that can be fixed, is encouraging for the remainder of the season. I have to agree that the basketball IQ of this team is very poor at this time.

Yes, the P.G. play is lacking. That is why Pearl was going after that kid in Georgia. He lost interest in U.T. once Pearl left, but I doudt he would have qualified academically anyway. Wasn't his name Jones?
Anyway, Pearl realized that Golden wasn't going to necessarily get it done, so he was recruiting for an additional P.G.

I think what is frustrating to many fans is that even though we were predicted to be 11th in the S.E.C., at times, we have played better than that. We figure that if we can play these games close, then we should be able to win them.
C of C, Duke, Austin Peay, etc. etc. If we played horribly, then we would know that we were no where close to getting where we needed to be, but with us playing close games, it just teases us, so to speak.

VN Store

Back