Do you see Cuonzo's first 15 or last 25?

Incipient

First 15 minutes against Duke: Vols by 2 (31-29)
Last 25 minutes against Duke: Duke by 12 (48-36)
Duke wins 77-67

First 15 minutes against Pitt: Vols by 6 (26-20)
Last 25 minutes against Pitt: Pitt by 11 (41-30)
Pitt wins 61-56

First 15 minutes against Charleston: Vols by 13 (28-15)
Next 20 minutes against Charleston: CofC by 23 (48-25)
Charleston wins 71-65.

Just like the football team, except depth isn't the reason. If I had to make a guess, I'd say lack of mental toughness. I'm not sure if we're unable to adjust when our opponent does or whether we just get panicky really quickly when things start going against us. But we can come out of the gate and play with anybody. And we can take it to pretty much nobody for 40 minutes.

Is it a good sign for our coaching that we have a plan that can work? Or is it a bad sign for our coaching that we meltdown so epicly? Given as inexperienced as we are, I think I take any stretches of good basketball as a positive and hope the bad stretches can be fixed as time goes on. But after the last two football seasons, man am I tired of saying that.

Reactions: 1 person
Duke wins 77-67

Pitt wins 61-56

Charleston wins 71-65.

Just like the football team, except depth isn't the reason. If I had to make a guess, I'd say lack of mental toughness. I'm not sure if we're unable to adjust when our opponent does or whether we just get panicky really quickly when things start going against us. But we can come out of the gate and play with anybody. And we can take it to pretty much nobody for 40 minutes.

Is it a good sign for our coaching that we have a plan that can work? Or is it a bad sign for our coaching that we meltdown so epicly? Given as inexperienced as we are, I think I take any stretches of good basketball as a positive and hope the bad stretches can be fixed as time goes on. But after the last two football seasons, man am I tired of saying that.

Also, huge lack of experience. Tatum is the only one who has played significant minutes down the stretch of games.

Duke wins 77-67

Pitt wins 61-56

Charleston wins 71-65.

But it's Bruce Pearl's fault. Duh.

Also, huge lack of experience. Tatum is the only one who has played significant minutes down the stretch of games.

Yeah, I think it's lack of mental toughness that's caused by a huge lack of experience. We play Cuonzo's game for 15 minutes and look great. And then we get lazy and go improv, because we have a bunch of players who are young and not mentally tough. And it looks awful.

How many more sports at UT are going to be affected by the halftime curse? Will the baseball team have five or six great innings and proceed to blow a lead in the last three?

Yeah, I think it's lack of mental toughness that's caused by a huge lack of experience. We play Cuonzo's game for 15 minutes and look great. And then we get lazy and go improv, because we have a bunch of players who are young and not mentally tough. And it looks awful.

We have one senior getting minutes on this team. And he absolutely sucks.

The close games will help out in the long run.

Also, having a joke at PG doesn't help late.

in game adjustments are lacking. He also has a leadership issue on the court. He needs time to see what these sophs and fresh turn into.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of this. Although I think our one senior might be the best point guard on the roster. Despite actually being a mediocre wing.

in game adjustments are lacking. He also has a leadership issue on the court. He needs time to see what these sophs and fresh turn into.

How does he have a leadership issue on the court? Is it because he doesn't stomp his foot like Pearl?

How does he have a leadership issue on the court? Is it because he doesn't stomp his foot like Pearl?

Because Cam is his sr leader on the court and his pg is struggling. That's how he has an on the court leadership issue.

Damn dude, calm down.

Excuses, excuses, I am soooooo tired of people trying to cover up bad coaching. How many times did we go to Maymon in the post in the second half????? I think you will find the answer at zero. Peddle the kool-aide elsewhere, we are getting what we paid for in both FB and BB. Those coaches were making what they were worth before they came to UT. For Martin that was roughly 125,000 and for Dooley 400,000.

It sure would be nice for him to show some emotion, act like he cared, made adjustments, and let players know when they make a mistake. He looks like a middle school coach on the sideline

It sure would be nice for him to show some emotion, act like he cared, made adjustments, and let players know when they make a mistake. He looks like a middle school coach on the sideline

That's a completely fabricated lie.

Ask Buzz Peterson how losing close games in his first season worked out for him. Losing close games does not help in the long run--winning close games does.

Ask Buzz Peterson how losing close games in his first season worked out for him. Losing close games does not help in the long run--winning close games does.

You're right. For players that have never played before in the NCAA in close games, that doesn't help them at all.

Great logic.

When I coach middle school kids, I stomp my foot alot and broke my clipboard once hitting it so hard with the marker because we were going thru the motions with our press. They went out and kicked butt! So, guys coaching in middle school do show some emotion. Just can't do it all the time. When used correctly, it can work because it shows them you care. Gets them crazy like rabid dogs. Fire em up coach! It can't hurt!

Because Cam is his sr leader on the court and his pg is struggling. That's how he has an on the court leadership issue.

Damn dude, calm down.

Calm down? Didn't know I wasn't calm. My bad, I thought you were saying Martin had leadership issues.

Excuses, excuses, I am soooooo tired of people trying to cover up bad coaching. How many times did we go to Maymon in the post in the second half????? I think you will find the answer at zero. Peddle the kool-aide elsewhere, we are getting what we paid for in both FB and BB. Those coaches were making what they were worth before they came to UT. For Martin that was roughly 125,000 and for Dooley 400,000.

Maybe they guarded the paint better, forcing us to make shots?

I'm not saying the coaches aren't to blame at all, but this team was going to be ****ty and is.

VN Store

Back