Who actually thought we would win today?

joeydupree

Colorado bound
I haven't been on VN in a couple of days and would really like to know...

Who expected us to go there and win?

Not a shock. No surprise. I hoped they could pull it out but....

Yeah, picked 11 out of 12 in the SEC for a reason. Give Martin some time, wasn't left with a lot to work with.

Not bashing the team at all... We're just not good. College basketball fans knew better than to expect a 'W'...

I thought it'd be very close.

Didn't expect a win though.

Last season, they killed us with 3 pointers. To them, we are David, the giant, so they will come out inspired to play.
I felt that we would lose this one. I also feel that we will lose many, many more this season.
Wade Houston's last season at U.T., he amassed a grand total of 5 wins. Two S.E.C. wins against Ole Miss & Auburn and three non conference games.
I expect us to at least match that record if not be tied for the 5 win season. We will likely beat E.T.S.U. & Chattanooga, but that is all that I see us winning.
Once it gets apparent that we are not very good, I see this team playing every game uninspired, like the football team did against Ky. They will just want the season to end.
If/when they go on a 10 or 12 game losing streak, then the frustration and lack of effort will begin.
My big question is why did Coach sign 2* players, just to fill roster spots? Couldn't he play this season and use a couple of this season's unsigned roster slots to fill in next season, after he had a season to recruit effectively and build relationships?
Maybe he was concerned that we may lose scholarships due to the NCAA.

With Wade Houston Junior coaching I really do not expect to win any of the remaining games.

But Tennessee has character, they play hard, they play with heart. And that is all that matters.

Reactions: 1 person
I was pretty sure we'd lose. Not a negavol, just realistic. This is not a good Bball team. My problem with the program is that anyone with an ounce of basketball knowledge could tell it wasn't going to be a competitive team in 2011 and Coach Martin proceeded to fill the roster with more kids that have no business playing at UT. I would've preferred the program take its expected lumps this year, black curtains and all and then recruit like mad for next year. Chalk 2011 up as a lost season. It's already headed that way.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, guess I'm in the minority. Expected us to win. Expected better effort. Expected better coaching. Expected the same from the football team at Kentucky. Top 5 overall budget, top 5 recruiting budget, spend more get less. The Tennessee way.

This was not Duke, not Memphis, not Florida or Vandy.

Last season, they killed us with 3 pointers. To them, we are David, the giant, so they will come out inspired to play.
I felt that we would lose this one. I also feel that we will lose many, many more this season.
Wade Houston's last season at U.T., he amassed a grand total of 5 wins. Two S.E.C. wins against Ole Miss & Auburn and three non conference games.
I expect us to at least match that record if not be tied for the 5 win season. We will likely beat E.T.S.U. & Chattanooga, but that is all that I see us winning.
Once it gets apparent that we are not very good, I see this team playing every game uninspired, like the football team did against Ky. They will just want the season to end.
If/when they go on a 10 or 12 game losing streak, then the frustration and lack of effort will begin.
My big question is why did Coach sign 2* players, just to fill roster spots? Couldn't he play this season and use a couple of this season's unsigned roster slots to fill in next season, after he had a season to recruit effectively and build relationships?
Maybe he was concerned that we may lose scholarships due to the NCAA.

My point exactly. While watching the game it was pretty apparent that there was a bench full of kids that should never see the floor. At least 8 of them. Did the practice squad travel tonight?

My point exactly. While watching the game it was pretty apparent that there was a bench full of kids that should never see the floor. At least 8 of them. Did the practice squad travel tonight?

Yet other than Chevious, all of those signees have shown potential.

I haven't been on VN in a couple of days and would really like to know...

Who expected us to go there and win?

Not a shock. No surprise. I hoped they could pull it out but....

I was surprised we were in it as long as we were. Thought it was going to be a blow out. It was only a matter of time before Martin got out coached again bye the opposing coach... Aka the zone.

I expected a loss. Charleston is a better team than the University of Tennessee - better players, and probably a better coach.

I expected a loss. Charleston is a better team than the University of Tennessee - better players, and probably a better coach.

Isn't that sad? Better players, better coach at college of charleston. Really sad given the financial differences between the two, really, really sad, for Vol fans, who contribute so much and get so little in return.

Yet other than Chevious, all of those signees have shown potential.

I'd agree that Washpun and Yemi have shown potential.

Yet Kenny Hall and Cam Tatum start every night. McBee continues to get meaningful minutes. Golden is allowed to brain fart repeatedly with no consequence. McRae takes tons of ill-advised shots but at least he acts like he wants to win. If he could lose his Reggie Miller complex he'd be decent.

Quite honestly I'd rather watch Yemi, Miller, Washpun, Richardson, and Maymon. They at least appear coachable even if they aren't elite talents. I just don't understand how you walk into the situation at TN with an NCAA cloud over it, get automatic extentions in your contract in the event UT get's hit with major sanctions, and proceed to fill so many roster spots with marginal talent.

After this year we lose Tatum & Woolridge so had Martin not gone crazy with signing this summer he could've singed an entire basketball squad next year and almost guaranteed each of them starting minutes. Surely that would've put us in a better situation to land a few SEC level players.

I love me some Vols but quite honestly I'd be surprised if the black curtains aren't hanging by New Years and stay hanging for the next 2yrs minimum.

VN Store

Back