Inexcusable

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Quite frankly, a bad loss to what should have been the beginning of a six game win streak. You can't have that. I'm putting this one on Coach Martin.

However, unlike football, where you have 12 games, there are 30 games in a basketball season. I mean, to fire a coach over one game in football is dumb, but to fire a coach for 3.3% of the season, is asinine.

There are major issues on this team. Unlike after the first couple games, where we thought this team looked like a potential tourney team, it seems they are not. They just don't have it.

Just like our football team, Martin is trying to change a culture. It's going to take some time. Only one player has played consistent big minutes in games. I still see a lot of good things from Coach Martin. There's a pretty good chance that we are going to get a 5* recruit midseason. That will help. We lost to a D2 last year, and almost lost to UT-Martin, who is just as bad as Austin Peay. This happens in basketball.

Everyone calm down. We have a big game Wednesday against COC that would be a huge confidence booster for our team.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

This is as close to an inexcusable loss as we could possibly have. It appears that this team, like many of us on here, got to excited about close losses to ranked teams. This team has the ability to play with good teams and the ability to lose to bad teams. Unless, this team picks up the half-court defense, there are going to be many losses this year. I'm still not writing Martin off as I believe they are well coached, just not playing the way he coaches. He tried different combinations Saturday, but didn't get improved play from his bench. Interesting to see what he does as the season progresses if this team doesn't start playing defense the way he wants it played.

This is as close to an inexcusable loss as we could possibly have. It appears that this team, like many of us on here, got to excited about close losses to ranked teams. This team has the ability to play with good teams and the ability to lose to bad teams. Unless, this team picks up the half-court defense, there are going to be many losses this year. I'm still not writing Martin off as I believe they are well coached, just not playing the way he coaches. He tried different combinations Saturday, but didn't get improved play from his bench. Interesting to see what he does as the season progresses if this team doesn't start playing defense the way he wants it played.

Just like the Cincy game in football, the first two games were a complete tease. This team was more like the first preseason game.

It's going to take time. People are just looking at stars, but there is ZERO basketball IQ on this team.

Quite frankly, a bad loss to what should have been the beginning of a six game win streak. You can't have that. I'm putting this one on Coach Martin.

However, unlike football, where you have 12 games, there are 30 games in a basketball season. I mean, to fire a coach over one game in football is dumb, but to fire a coach for 3.3% of the season, is asinine.

There are major issues on this team. Unlike after the first couple games, where we thought this team looked like a potential tourney team, it seems they are not. They just don't have it.

Just like our football team, Martin is trying to change a culture. It's going to take some time. Only one player has played consistent big minutes in games. I still see a lot of good things from Coach Martin. There's a pretty good chance that we are going to get a 5* recruit midseason. That will help. We lost to a D2 last year, and almost lost to UT-Martin, who is just as bad as Austin Peay. This happens in basketball.

Everyone calm down. We have a big game Wednesday against COC that would be a huge confidence booster for our team.

Big game vs COC tells what shape our basketball program is in. I'm not a negative person, I support the team no matter what. Just saying.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree it is going to take time. CM got in late, considering the NCAA investigation, so he didn't have a chance to get top level talent for this season. He needs a full recruiting class and maybe 2 to really see whether or not he is the guy. I don't have a lot of expectations from this year's team. I have resolved to watch for entertainment value than to really believe they get to the dance. If they do, it will be a bonus for me. Just watch, have fun, be happy and better days are ahead.

Why was the start of the season such a tease?

Memphis for all intents and purposes is just not very good, they are an average basketball team in an average league.

Duke may very well end up as one of the 10 best teams in the country, but you have to remember that their backcourt is almost entirely full of players that have little experience and we were one of their first real tests

Pitt is another team that will likely get beat up in big east play and really they have failed to impress me in any game they have played this year and we couldn't beat them with their starting PG sidelined. Pitt is barely a top 25 team if they are even that

Im making the 2 1/2 drive Wednesday night. I'll be the one wearing orange. We knew this team wouldn't be great. A few close games and people's expectations went thru the roof. It'll work out in the end.

You're starting to come around I see. Would you say our team defense has had anything to do with it, or do you still think we are "an above average defensive team"?

You, I, and everyone else have seen from the start that
the man to man defense without even a whisper of zone
has been a problem for us all year. The only one who has not seen it is CCM. You coach to the players strengths, not to their weaknesses. If a person knows how to coach it shows, and if a person doesn't it shows.
Pastner ring a bell.:)

Peay was 1-9 coming into T-B Arena. Charleston is 7-1. Wednesday is going to be unproductive for our Cuon-stipated Vols.

There may be a reason why this team was picked to finish so low in the SEC East. Interesting that no one accounts for this team losing Hopson and Harris from last season. Those guys production can't be picked up by role guys. Maymon has shown improvement but has battled the injury bug, outside of that this team doesn't have a superstar guy. Tatum appears not ready for the leadership role or the go to guy, Golden can't play the defense needed at this level and McCrae is inconsistent. As for the rest it's a work in progress. I believe Coach Zo has a plan, but he is going to need real Horses in this race to compete.

There may be a reason why this team was picked to finish so low in the SEC East. Interesting that no one accounts for this team losing Hopson and Harris from last season. Those guys production can't be picked up by role guys. Maymon has shown improvement but has battled the injury bug, outside of that this team doesn't have a superstar guy. Tatum appears not ready for the leadership role or the go to guy, Golden can't play the defense needed at this level and McCrae is inconsistent. As for the rest it's a work in progress. I believe Coach Zo has a plan, but he is going to need real Horses in this race to compete.

Nope. It's all CM's fault. Pearl is the best :rock:.

Pearl is not here, but, being sarcastic doesn't change the fact that CCM hasn't a clue as to coaching this team.

I agree. When I watch him on the sidelines I am reminded of the Wade Houston years. Tennessee does not win 10 games this year. If they do not get Stokes they will not win 10 games next year either. I don't care how bad Tennessee's talent is, losing to a one and nine OVC team is due to coaching.

Yeah, you all are right. I'm the dumbass that gives up on a coach and team after 8 games. I guess now I'll just cry about how great we were when Bruce was here and ***** about the team 24/7.

Yeah, you all are right. I'm the dumbass that gives up on a coach and team after 8 games. I guess now I'll just cry about how great we were when Bruce was here and ***** about the team 24/7.

It's people like you who make prophecies and spill praise
about CCm's great defense and discipline. Just last week
you and law were giving cnchris33 down the river because he questioned CCM's defense.

You could have stopped right there and saved us all the time. Stop hitting us over the head with your quasi-agenda.

Yeah, it's just horrible that I think people who want Pearl back are dumbasses and I think that we should wait a few more games to judge CM. I'm sorry I tore you away from kissing Pearl's ass for a few minutes to have to respond to my post.

It's people like you who make prophecies and spill praise
about CCm's great defense and discipline. Just last week
you and law were giving cnchris33 down the river because he questioned CCM's defense.

When did I state that CM had a great defense or discipline? Oh wait, I didn't. Nice try. Don't worry though. You lose a lot of things as you age, like memory.

Didn't say I had give up on the team. The problem with
you Pearl haters is that you condemn lying, but, can't abstain from it yourself.

Yeah, it's just horrible that I think people who want Pearl back are dumbasses and I think that we should wait a few more games to judge CM. I'm sorry I tore you away from kissing Pearl's ass for a few minutes to have to respond to my post.

If you think I slobber over Pearls very feet, then you couldn't be more wrong. I criticize him where he deserves criticism. Same goes for Martin. I will give both credit where it is deserved as well.

They overlooked a 1-9 AP team and weren't mentally ready to play. It happens, that falls on the coaching staff, so much basketball left to play, need to wait till the end of the season to evaluate the coaching.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back