What the hell happened?

I seen two things that stood out to me:
1. The gaurd play was horrible. Golden and Tatum could not throw into the ocean and Washburn forgot what color jerseys we were waering.
2. The inabilty to play defense without fouling.
3. The kid from AP got hot at the end and hit several 3's.

I did not see anything that cannot be fixed it just is going to take time.

From Strange's column:

Secondly, I imagine coach Cuonzo Martin's honeymoon is over among a fair portion of Tennessee fans.

Playing competitively but coming up short against ranked teams like Duke, Memphis and Pittsburgh was encouraging. Losing at home to a 1-9 Austin Peay team is 180 degrees from encouraging.

Austin Peay should have been the launch of a six-game winning streak to carry the Vols to Memphis on Jan. 4 with a head of steam. Scratch that idea.

Granted, this was but one afternoon in a long season. Martin hopefully suggested postgame it will be a wake-up call.

Maybe. A five-game winning streak going to Memphis is still in play. Four of the five will be in Thompson-Boling Arena.

But at this point, I wouldn't blame shell-shocked Tennessee fans for expecting the worst. They've seen their share of unhappy endings.

Well said.

Reactions: 3 people
From Strange's column:

Secondly, I imagine coach Cuonzo Martin's honeymoon is over among a fair portion of Tennessee fans.

Playing competitively but coming up short against ranked teams like Duke, Memphis and Pittsburgh was encouraging. Losing at home to a 1-9 Austin Peay team is 180 degrees from encouraging.

Austin Peay should have been the launch of a six-game winning streak to carry the Vols to Memphis on Jan. 4 with a head of steam. Scratch that idea.

Granted, this was but one afternoon in a long season. Martin hopefully suggested postgame it will be a wake-up call.

Maybe. A five-game winning streak going to Memphis is still in play. Four of the five will be in Thompson-Boling Arena.

But at this point, I wouldn't blame shell-shocked Tennessee fans for expecting the worst. They've seen their share of unhappy endings.

Well said.

Sad, but, accurate.

I seen two things that stood out to me:
1. The gaurd play was horrible. Golden and Tatum could not throw into the ocean and Washburn forgot what color jerseys we were waering.
2. The inabilty to play defense without fouling.
3. The kid from AP got hot at the end and hit several 3's.

I did not see anything that cannot be fixed it just is going to take time.

And players and coaches :eek:lol:

Reactions: 2 people
Well the whole game we were lucky to be winning

It was one of those where you can tell the other team is playing much better and executing better, but we had a very big size and strength advantage and we were able to come up with a lot of second chance points and offensive rebounds that kept us in the game. In my mind, we got dominated regardless of what the score says

A lot of things. I knew it was gonna be a bad day when I went in to work this morning at 6.

A lot of things. I knew it was gonna be a bad day when I went in to work this morning at 6.

I handled some things this morning as well and timed it to crack a beer and wings to watch the game.

I watched that 2nd half as if I already knew they lost and was watching the replay.

This quote is pretty sobering. That TTU team they lost was very good, not like this AP team.

The Vols had never lost to Austin Peay in eight previous games. They had lost only once in the prior 46 meetings with Ohio Valley
Conference teams, to Tennessee Tech in 1996.

I had to work today...what went wrong?

Did you watch the Oakland game last year? Carbon copy (but obviously by a less talented Vol team and against a less talented opponent). Dominated early and just let off the gas, let them hang in the game. Then late in the game simultaneously became bafflingly unable to get the ball inside and allowed them to get hot shooting.

It was like watching the same terrible movie over again.

line against Oakland: -11.5
line against Peay: -12.5

score at the under 16 against Oakland: 61-48 (Vols by 13)
score at the under 16 against Peay: 47-38 (Vols by 9)

score at 7:00 against Oakland: 76-68 (Vols by 8)
score at 6:30 against Peay: 64-53 (Vols by 11)

last seven minutes against Oakland: 21-6 Oakland
last 6:30 against Peay: 21-6 Peay

Tobias Harris points in the first 22 minutes against Oakland: 13
Jeronne Maymon points in the first 22 minutes against Peay: 16

Tobias Harris points in the last 18 minutes against Oakland: 3
Jeronne Maymon points in the last 18 minutes against Peay: 2

I watch or listen to EVERY game...had interview today and missed it thinking there was no way we could lose considering they have only 1 win on the year that was in OT against Arky St......just saw the outcome. FML....if Stokes wants to come in and get immediate PT and be an instant star, UT is his destination...that is all.

Did you watch the Oakland game last year? Carbon copy (but obviously by a less talented Vol team and against a less talented opponent). Dominated early and just let off the gas, let them hang in the game. Then late in the game simultaneously became bafflingly unable to get the ball inside and allowed them to get hot shooting.

It was like watching the same terrible movie over again.

You guys go to any length to make excuses.

VN Store

Back