Can this really happen?

THE SOZ

VFL
Ive herd that if Stokes enrols early he will be able to play for us in Jan. If thats true this would be awesome.

How wouldn't it be possible? He would be enrolled in school for the second semester and eligible to play like any other student.

Never heard of this happening, how come more players don't do it? Grades or what?

Yes it is possible.

He has completed the course work and would still need to test in.

Shouldn't be a problem. He is very smart.

Things look good for UT. Should know soon.

Not likely a 4 year player so using a year of eligibilty for approx1/3 to 1/2 a year probably not an issue. But will still be very hard for him to come in and play early on secondary to not knowing anything about the offense. Defense no problem, just play tough man to man.

Not likely a 4 year player so using a year of eligibilty for approx1/3 to 1/2 a year probably not an issue. But will still be very hard for him to come in and play early on secondary to not knowing anything about the offense. Defense no problem, just play tough man to man.

Motion offense, not much to learn. The rotations and communication on defense is what would probably take more time. Either way, he's almost instantly in the rotation.

I agree that it would be a dumb move. Unless he plans on only being here through his junior year (at the latest), why waste a year for only half a season?

Regarding Tony Delmonico, last I've heard he didn't officially graduate. He found a loophole, got his GED and enrolled. Very dumb move for that kid, but as was proven, he didn't come from a family that valued education.

I agree that it would be a dumb move. Unless he plans on only being here through his junior year (at the latest), why waste a year for only half a season?

Regarding Tony Delmonico, last I've heard he didn't officially graduate. He found a loophole, got his GED and enrolled. Very dumb move for that kid, but as was proven, he didn't come from a family that valued education.

Tony D was going to be draft eligible after 2 years of college due to his age thus getting a third year of college made him some extra money. He was good enough to do that as Stokes appears to be as well.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Pretty sure he would have to be here one more year. I think its a age thing for the NBA.

Automatic eligibility
Players whose 19th birthday falls during or before the calendar year of the draft, are at least one year removed from the graduation of their high school class, and who do not meet the criteria for "international" players are automatically eligible if they meet any of the following criteria:
They have completed 4 years of their college eligibility.
If they graduated from high school in the U.S., but did not enroll in a U.S. college or university, four years have passed since their high school class graduated.
If they did not graduate from high school in the U.S., four years have passed since their high school class graduated.
They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team outside of the NBA, anywhere in the world, and have played under that contract.
Those who have reached the minimum eligibility age of 19 and meet the criteria for "international" players are automatically eligible if they meet any of the following criteria:
They are least 22 during the calendar year of the draft.
They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team outside of the NBA within the United States, and have played under that contract.

Automatic eligibility
Players whose 19th birthday falls during or before the calendar year of the draft, are at least one year removed from the graduation of their high school class, and who do not meet the criteria for "international" players are automatically eligible if they meet any of the following criteria:
They have completed 4 years of their college eligibility.
If they graduated from high school in the U.S., but did not enroll in a U.S. college or university, four years have passed since their high school class graduated.
If they did not graduate from high school in the U.S., four years have passed since their high school class graduated.
They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team outside of the NBA, anywhere in the world, and have played under that contract.
Those who have reached the minimum eligibility age of 19 and meet the criteria for "international" players are automatically eligible if they meet any of the following criteria:
They are least 22 during the calendar year of the draft.
They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team outside of the NBA within the United States, and have played under that contract.

He may not turn 19 in 2012 and I don't think he would fit that one year removed from HS graduation criteria. Am I reading that right?

Tony D was going to be draft eligible after 2 years of college due to his age thus getting a third year of college made him some extra money. He was good enough to do that as Stokes appears to be as well.

Which is fine, more power to him for that. However, looks pretty silly if he indeed only has a GED. Especially since he's not played any higher than A ball in 4 seasons. Most players that make it to the bigs move up faster than that.

VN Store

Back