If Stokes Enrolls Next Semester....

LawVol13

Memphis and UK do not have an available scholarship for him. The Commercial Appeal says he would have to try to qualify for an academic scholarship at Memphis that would cover tuition but seems to imply that it would not cover room and board. I don't know if this is an issue or not. It couldn't hurt our chances since we do have a scholarship ready and waiting on him.

Reactions: 1 person
Memphis and UK do not have an available scholarship for him. The Commercial Appeal says he would have to try to qualify for an academic scholarship at Memphis that would cover tuition but seems to imply that it would not cover room and board. I don't know if this is an issue or not. It couldn't hurt our chances since we do have a scholarship ready and waiting on him.

If he comes to Tennessee he would be the big fish. If he goes to Kentucky he would get lost among their big fishes. :loco:

Reactions: 3 people
Just a thought, but he could go for the "sure thing" with us, or try to go the academic route which is more of a gamble. (I don't know anything about his grades or anything). It would have to help our chances in my mind.

I assume he would qualify for Hope as well. Pastner will let him stay at home if need be. I do not think it is an issue.

For those sayIng it is not smart, I disagree. He is not going to be a 4 year guy. He will either play immediately and then 1 or maybe 2 full seasons. Or he will RS and be one hell of a practice player while getting in better shape than currently. Beats not playing anywhere at the moment.

I assume he would qualify for Hope as well. Pastner will let him stay at home if need be. I do not think it is an issue.

For those sayIng it is not smart, I disagree. He is not going to be a 4 year guy. He will either play immediately and then 1 or maybe 2 full seasons. Or he will RS and be one hell of a practice player while getting in better shape than currently. Beats not playing anywhere at the moment.

I thought you had to stay on campus Freshman year. That's what I always thought; I could definitely be wrong though.

If he comes to Tennessee he would be the big fish. If he goes to Kentucky he would get lost among their big fishes. :loco:

He will likely end up at Kentucky. The other programs will talk alot of trash about us, when they use negative recruiting.
We are not in too good of a position to out recruit them. Had Pearl remained, then we would have had
7 seasons with stability and in the NCAA tourney. Plus, with Harris one & done, that may have impressed Stokes.
However; as it is, our program is in a rebuilding period and the top recruits won't take us seriously.

He will likely end up at Kentucky. The other programs will talk alot of trash about us, when they use negative recruiting.
We are not in too good of a position to out recruit them. Had Pearl remained, then we would have had
7 seasons with stability and in the NCAA tourney. Plus, with Harris one & done, that may have impressed Stokes.
However; as it is, our program is in a rebuilding period and the top recruits won't take us seriously.

It's always good to see people pretend to know things when they actually have no clue what they're talking about.

Reactions: 2 people

Is Stokes not taking us seriously? IIRC, we were still in on some big names. Could be wrong though.

Moreover, if UT really competes hard this year and proves to be better than thought, some of that negative recruitment would disappear. IMO

Lastly, had Pearl been retained, we might have caught more flak for keeping him.

Last edited:
I thought you had to stay on campus Freshman year. That's what I always thought; I could definitely be wrong though.

The only reasons you don't stay on campus freshman year are if you have a medical reason to not or you are married. Other than that I believe he has to be on campus (or at least, have a room registered to him on campus).

It's always good to see people pretend to know things when they actually have no clue what they're talking about.

Stokes will not enroll at Kentucky unless he wants to spend a lot of time on the bench. He's not getting playing time at Lexington this year at all.

The only reasons you don't stay on campus freshman year are if you have a medical reason to not or you are married. Other than that I believe he has to be on campus (or at least, have a room registered to him on campus).

Not true in the case of the University of Memphis, no residency requirement.

I think the prospect of enrolling early hurts Kentucky and Ark. which would be out of state schools for Stokes and would complicate things when trying to get an academic scholarship.

I'm also still not sold on the impact he would have this season. He's still a HS'er for the most part, and hasn't practiced with the team nor started a college conditioning program.

Also, to the guy that said he's going to Kentucky, get with it. He may go to UT or Arkansas in stead of Memphis, but he's not going to UK. He's a Memphian and he wants to be able to come back and visit the city in the future. UK has also not offered, I believe.

Last edited:
Not true in the case of the University of Memphis, not residency requirement.

I think the prospect of enrolling early hurts Kentucky and Ark. which would be out of state schools for Stokes and would complicate things when trying to get an academic scholarship.

I'm also still not sold on the impact he would have this season. He's still a HS'er for the most part, and hasn't practiced with the team nor started a college conditioning program.

Also, to the guy that said he's going to Kentucky, get with it. He may go to UT or Arkansas in stead of Memphis, but he's not going to UK. He's a Memphian and he wants to be able to come back and visit the city in the future. UK has also not offered, I believe.

Arkansas has a scholarship waiting on him. It's a non-issue for them.

I have no idea if Stokes has any interest in UK or if UK still has interest in him. I do question your comment that UK has no scholarship available. We have 14 on the current roster and 3 of those are walk-ons. Not saying you're wrong but I don't see the math.

I have no idea if Stokes has any interest in UK or if UK still has interest in him. I do question your comment that UK has no scholarship available. We have 14 on the current roster and 3 of those are walk-ons. Not saying you're wrong but I don't see the math.

"I've set myself up to go to college midyear. I really don't know yet, but that's definitely an option," said Stokes, who's considering the University of Memphis along with Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Notice Kentucky is in this six.

Willie Stokes, Jarnell's father, said four of the six schools his son is considering -- Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida and Tennessee -- have athletic scholarships available for him in January.

Notice Kentucky is not in this four. Also, apparently John Clay has even said UK does not have a scholarship.

Notice Kentucky is in this six.

Notice Kentucky is not in this four. Also, apparently John Clay has even said UK does not have a scholarship.

Maybe Polson and/or Malone or Long were awarded a scholarship for the season. Who knows - but I would have thought Poole's leaving the team freed up one for next semester. Not trying to argue just confusing me a bit.

On the issue of UK and Stokes - I honestly thought we were out of the picture considering we are still in on Bennett. Never know with Calipari.

Who imposes this supposed campus residency requirement? And what difference does it make whether or not it is an in-state school?

The residency on campus issue is a school's decision. UT has that in force, while other schools do not. I really hope we can land Stokes as he would definitely be in the rotation very quickly here and could really help us in SEC play IMO. We only have one option inside IMO in Maymon as a reliable scorer and he is undersized. Stokes would immediately give us another threat and playing 15-20 mpg would eliminate his lack of a college fitness program as well. He is THE top player on my wish list and would love to see him get here early. I'd love to see him come here regardless, but he could very well impact our post season chances of getting an invite to the big dance.

Go Vols!!!

Are you guys talking about him enrolling in JAN and playing this year. Ive never heard of anyone doing that from high school what's up with that?

VN Store

Back