Martin Thus Far..

kxtop

Given the fact that he was left with marginal talent and a tough schedule, Martin has done a great job. Give him a chance to recruit for his system and he can have an impressive career at Tennessee. He is a very different personality than Pearl which was probably needed. The Vol fan base will really warm to Martin, especially when this team delivers some unexpected wins. I suspect most fans were quite depressed about this season's prospects, now it looks much better, particularly under the circumstances in which we were left.

Reactions: 7 people
I'm just ready to quit playing top 25 ranked teams for a few weeks. Hard to catch a breath when, every time you turn around, you are playing a legit tourney team. Need to get some wins, gain some confidence, and get some good practice in before we have another test like we've already had.

Agreed!, we have played very hard to highly ranked teams. I believe we will dominate the conference this season. GO VOLS!!

I'm just ready to quit playing top 25 ranked teams for a few weeks. Hard to catch a breath when, every time you turn around, you are playing a legit tourney team. Need to get some wins, gain some confidence, and get some good practice in before we have another test like we've already had.

yeah, it starts sat vs austin peay. couldhit the 100 point mark on those cruds. the next wed. though, we go to charleston. we all know what happened with them last year. i think we get them this season.

yeah, it starts sat vs austin peay. couldhit the 100 point mark on those cruds. the next wed. though, we go to charleston. we all know what happened with them last year. i think we get them this season.

Will be at the AP game :good!:

People forget this team is void of Hopson & Harris. Coach Martin is getting the best out of what he has.

Reactions: 1 person
Given the fact that he was left with marginal talent and a tough schedule, Martin has done a great job. Give him a chance to recruit for his system and he can have an impressive career at Tennessee. He is a very different personality than Pearl which was probably needed. The Vol fan base will really warm to Martin, especially when this team delivers some unexpected wins. I suspect most fans were quite depressed about this season's prospects, now it looks much better, particularly under the circumstances in which we were left.

I think he will do good at Tennessee. You have to give him 3 or 4 years to get his type of players. He will be ok. Just please no BBQs at home for players.:hi:

This thread reminds me of Dooleys first year and the post about it. Same issues depleted team, youth, taking over for a controversial coach and playing tough schedule. Records will be about the same especially against opponents. Let's see how understanding the fans are next year.

Great Job???? He has beaten three of the four teams he should have beaten and lost to the three teams he should have.....Im not saying he is doing a bad job but he has not exceeded expectations yet. I thoroughly support him and our program though. Go Vols!!!!

I know it's easy to overlook, but you have to consider that 3 of our 4 losses came against better top-20 teams. No, it's not as exciting as when we were optimistic after the first few games, but we still need to play a few more to really solidify our identity. Martin has done a good job so far, but I think it's fair to be a little worried. Personally, I think everything will work out and we'll at least get an NIT bid. However, I won't blindly defend Martin or the team if they show poor effort and get beaten by these 2nd-tier mid-majors we're about to face. I will be surprised if we lose any of the next 6 games. GO VOLS!!

I think he will do good at Tennessee. You have to give him 3 or 4 years to get his type of players. He will be ok. Just please no BBQs at home for players.:hi:

This thread reminds me of Dooleys first year and the post about it. Same issues depleted team, youth, taking over for a controversial coach and playing tough schedule. Records will be about the same especially against opponents. Let's see how understanding the fans are next year.

He want get three or four years dools just finished his second.and half these fools on volnation want to fire him.if he can finish up this recruiting class with playes that he needs.and can win nine games next year and have a fourth consecutive top 15 recruiting class.and with it being his team top to bottom vols will be in the hunt .

Agreed!, we have played very hard to highly ranked teams. I believe we will dominate the conference this season. GO VOLS!!

WOW!!!??? Really? You can not be serious. A decent basketball team beats Pitt by 10 at home. We will be luck to sniff the NIT.

Try again. Every player on the team is playing much better than they did last year.

I like the development I have seen out of the players from last year to this one. No one can question that and be thought sane. Coach is getting some good stuff out of players that many of us had questioned during the second half of last year. The players just need to do a better job of execution in the offense, not take hurried shots, and most importantly, IMO, rebound.

Ya like oakland

I like the fringes of the system that he's putting in place, and I expect it to get stronger and more intricate as the year goes on and his team gets more practice time. In the meantime, they've shown that despite a disadvantage in talent, this isn't a team that will be outworked very often.

I want to see how he improves the defense. To this point, his best defenders are probably a pair of rookies - Wes Washpun and Josh Richardson. Golden and Maymon can fill it up offensively on any given night but struggle at the other end of the court. The team doesn't seem to rotate and provide help very well at this stage. To turn some of these "We gave them a battle" games into "We pulled an upset!" games, the defense has to improve. I honestly believe that this team generates enough offense to beat good teams if they play forty minutes of sound defensive basketball - Golden, McRae and Maymon are a solid offensive trio and I think they'll get better as they learn to play with each other. I'd LOVE to have just one knockdown shooter on this team, though.

In my opinion, Martin's coaching ability looks to be there. My worry is whether he'll recruit well enough. If he bring in Jarnell Stokes, that would be huge both for him and for the program. Aside from that, since he's been here he's been at a disadvantage recruiting - he was trying to build relationships with kids in six months when other coaches had a couple of years, and that's hard to overcome. Going forward that issue will fade, and I look forward to seeing what he can really do on the recruiting trail.

You guys are acting like Bruce left him no talent, just because these guys weren't dominant last year. This is what happens in basketball. Talented players leave, and the next bunch of four star recruits fills the void.

We are playing a bit above what I expected, but we aren't exactly playing lights out. I'm impressed with Cuonzo so far, but how many guys still here are four star athletes?

A lot of Cuonzo's 3 star guys are playing very nicely, though. We will see.

You guys are acting like Bruce left him no talent, just because these guys weren't dominant last year. This is what happens in basketball. Talented players leave, and the next bunch of four star recruits fills the void.

We are playing a bit above what I expected, but we aren't exactly playing lights out. I'm impressed with Cuonzo so far, but how many guys still here are four star athletes?

A lot of Cuonzo's 3 star guys are playing very nicely, though. We will see.
We'd be hard to beat if Maymon, Hall and Tatum had double doubles on the same night and Golden and McRae also played their best games.
It's a matter of becoming consistent as individuals and as a team.
Might not come soon enough to get us to the NCAA, but maybe the NIT.

Maymon needs to play D, plus rebound! Other than that I'm happy with what Martin is doing.

I'm not at all happy with the way this team has performed. Were below 500 after playing a lot of cupcakes and 3 good teams Duke, Memphis and Pitt.

This is going to be the worst basketball season since Houston was the coach. But what the hell we have to "go through the fire". Funny how my man Pearl never talked like a loser. He talked about winning. He expected to win every game. What a difference.

VN Store

Back