It's quite simple...

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
We need to improve on offense and defense, but that's not why we are 3-4. If we could actually rebound, we beat Oakland and Pitt this week.

If this team wants to be a tournament team, the posts better actually try and box somebody and rebound.

The issue goes far beyond boxing out. They actually don't box out that badly.

It starts with that, and they are poor of it. Not too mention they don't do a good job of hustling after the ball. Which is inexcuseable.

It starts with that, and they are poor of it. Not too mention they don't do a good job of hustling after the ball. Which is inexcuseable.

They're really not poor boxing out. These are the problems:

1.) Can't control dribble penetration.
2.) Lack of rotation by the backside post.
3.) Shot goes up by guard.
4.) Ball comes off the backside to a post that no one is around because our post doesn't rotate.

When a shot went up that we didn't have to rotate, we got the rebound.

Some of those rebounds there wasn't even a Tennessee defender around to box out.

4.) Ball comes off the backside to a post that no one is around because our post doesn't rotate.

That's an issue too.

They still don't show want and don't box out well.

We are just a bad rebounding team. PERIOD.

That's an issue too.

They still don't show want and don't box out well.

We are just a bad rebounding team. PERIOD.

No, we're not, zjc. Did you miss the Memphis and Duke games? We didn't rebound poorly those games. Hell, Maymon had 20 rebounds. We rebound poorly when we don't control dribble penetration. That is where the problem lies. I promise you.

Agree rebounding is a glaring weakness on this team, but point guard play doesn't trail to far behind.

Some of those rebounds there wasn't even a Tennessee defender around to box out.

That's exactly right, velo. They don't rotate to be able to box someone out. You have to rotate before boxing out becomes relevant.

No, we're not, zjc. Did you miss the Memphis and Duke games? We didn't rebound poorly those games. Hell, Maymon had 20 rebounds. We rebound poorly when we don't control dribble penetration. That is where the problem lies. I promise you.

I admit it's a problem with defensive rotation, but it's not the only issue.

Do you not remember the first game? They gave up 15 offensive rebounds. It's been an issue all year.

They don't box out hard/well, they don't have good rebounding instincts, and pl3 made a great point earlier, they don't follow the ball off the rim, they just stand there. I promise you, all of it are issues.

I admit it's a problem with defensive rotation, but it's not the only issue.

Do you not remember the first game? They gave up 15 offensive rebounds. It's been an issue all year.

They don't box out hard/well, they don't have good rebounding instincts, and pl3 made a great point earlier, they don't follow the ball off the rim, they just stand there. I promise you, all of it are issues.

By far and away, it is our defensive rotation. It's far and away the main issue. If we fix that, suddenly we would become a good rebounding team. If you haven't played a lot of basketball, you might not realize what an issue that is. It's tough for young guys to rotate well; and ours do not. But, it is an absolute killer in rebounding.

By far and away, it is our defensive rotation. It's far and away the main issue. If we fix that, suddenly we would become a good rebounding team. If you haven't played a lot of basketball, you might not realize what an issue that is. It's tough for young guys to rotate well; and ours do not. But, it is an absolute killer in rebounding.

I did play a lot of basketball. Though I'm by no means an expert on man defense (played mostly zone at my school), I know that it's an issue. We don't rotate well, and it puts us in a bad position. I've said that.

It's not the only reason however.

I did play a lot of basketball. Though I'm by no means an expert on man defense (played mostly zone at my school), I know that it's an issue. We don't rotate well, and it puts us in a bad position. I've said that.

It's not the only reason however.

Boxing out isn't even an issue until you find the correct man to box out. When they're getting easy putbacks, our posts are no where to be found. If you're a helpside post, and your man goes to the freethrow line extended, and the ballside post goes out to help on dribble penetration, you absolutely have to drop and box out the post he just left. If you don't, you end up with uncontested putbacks like we had.

Boxing out isn't even an issue until you find the correct man to box out. When they're getting easy putbacks, our posts are no where to be found. If you're a helpside post, and your man goes to the freethrow line extended, and the ballside post goes out to help on dribble penetration, you absolutely have to drop and box out the post he just left. If you don't, you end up with uncontested putbacks like we had.

I agree with all that. It's an issue.

Just like what I posted.

They are all issues that hopefully can be fixed.

We need to improve on offense and defense, but that's not why we are 3-4. If we could actually rebound, we beat Oakland and Pitt this week.

If this team wants to be a tournament team, the posts better actually try and box somebody and rebound.

Be patient! The team is young! Fulmer left "Zo" in a bad situation!
I think Martin is the guy for this job; however, he did come from a small school.
I do like Martin's orange pants though.

Be patient! The team is young! Fulmer left "Zo" in a bad situation!
I think Martin is the guy for this job; however, he did come from a small school.
I do like Martin's orange pants though.

:good!: Give CM some time. Think of where the program was early this year.

This. Boxing out is fine.

VN Store

Back