Help Defense

EricBerryistheMan

I support CCM and think he will do a great job with the program, but it seems to me that our help defense is almost non-existent. We play hard on defense and hedge screens well, but when someone gets beat, our rotation is very slow. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

all i was thinking about when i was at the game last nite. Help defensive was atrocious. Golden was getting abused by hamilton off the dribble and there was no one to step up in the lane to force a tough shot by hamilton. Instead he had easy floaters all game. That was terrible along with the boxing out, turnovers, and boneheaded plays on fast breaks as already mentioned. Petros had no right being on that court and watching him keep balls alive and pulling down all these offensive boards was inexcusable. Im not sure what was an uglier sight, walking by the oakland swim team to use the bathroom or watching that game.

all i was thinking about when i was at the game last nite. Help defensive was atrocious. Golden was getting abused by hamilton off the dribble and there was no one to step up in the lane to force a tough shot by hamilton. Instead he had easy floaters all game. That was terrible along with the boxing out, turnovers, and boneheaded plays on fast breaks as already mentioned. Petros had no right being on that court and watching him keep balls alive and pulling down all these offensive boards was inexcusable. Im not sure what was an uglier sight, walking by the oakland swim team to use the bathroom or watching that game.

The announcers loved Petros. Buti agree with u no white guy should push Hall and Mackanjoula around

I started a thread on a similar topic but I thought more of the problem was the ball pressure. Its seems to me that way too many times we are having to help stop the ball in the middle of the floor thus allowing more inside out type shots. I am far from an expert but what I see is that we are not stopping the ball without having to help with an extra guy.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm hoping it's part of a process. Maybe Cuonzo wants the guys to learn to guard their assignments first. (I'm doubting this, but ...)

the problem last night was they had shooters everywhere on the three point line... so if we rotated as hard as usual we are giving up a wide open three.

The on-ball defense could be a part of the problem, but everyone is going to get beat at one time or another. Someone has to rotate over and stop the ball. Better to give up a three than a lay up.

Last night was a big showing of laziness, for the most part. I don't know if it was fatigue from the Maui trip, or just a night where Cuonzo needs to light their tails up. I think it will be handled accordingly.

Help defense is very, very difficult when the opposing team's point guard can break down the defense from the top of the key. The problem I saw was that we did a pathetic job of controlling Hamilton off the bounce. If you let a point guard break you down from the top of the key, you're in trouble no matter how good your help defense is.

Help defense is very, very difficult when the opposing team's point guard can break down the defense from the top of the key. The problem I saw was that we did a pathetic job of controlling Hamilton off the bounce. If you let a point guard break you down from the top of the key, you're in trouble no matter how good your help defense is.

I fully agree. That's one of the reasons he had 15 for 15 at the free-throw line. If Trae didn't get close enough to foul him, the help defense did.

Have we had that problem in a majority of the 6 games to this point? I think I have seen that.

Have we had that problem in a majority of the 6 games to this point? I think I have seen that.

It was most obvious against Oakland. Joe Jackson did little to nothing against us. And, Curry from Duke is more of a shooter than a driver. Hamilton was a big test, and we failed pretty horribly. Hopefully, they'll learn from it and get better.

VN Store

Back