Reality Check

2ironVol

We all need to face the facts about this team. We are going to have some tough road losses this year. Among our starting group, Tatum is the only player with any experience at all. Oakland is a pretty good team and will challenge for a tournament spot. There's no doubt we are going to be better than the prognosticators have said, but we still lack veteran leadership among our players that is so needed in tough road games. All these threads about how good we are and how we are going to the tournament are silly. Yeah, we made good showing at Maui and look like a POSSIBLE NCAA team, but there are going to be tough losses. An 8-8 SEC record will be very good for this team. Martin definitely knows what he is doing and has us on the right track. Lets not get our hopes too high for this season though.

All that being said, we have a very good chance of beating Pitt Saturday at TBA. Everone get out and support this team. Exciting things are to come.

Losing to Oakland is still embarrassing. They are decent but no where near as good as last year. I agree we got a rough road ahead and it's painful watching the Vols no matter what sport it is :unsure: Better days are ahead gentlemen

I have never seen a big time athletic program get so excited over losses before. It was pathetic.

Based on the reaction here, one would have thought that we almost beat the Memphis team that went to the Final Four a few years ago rather than 2011 Memphis.

Based on the reaction here, one would have thought that we almost beat the Memphis team that went to the Final Four a few years ago rather than 2011 Memphis.

I agree. All the minions could talk about was how CCM had coached up Trae and Maymon.

I agree. All the minions could talk about was how CCM had coached up Trae and Maymon.

You people would rather see the program decline and lose games in order to prove your point that Bruce > anything and everything at Tennessee. It's disgusting.

You people would rather see the program decline and lose games in order to prove your point that Bruce > anything and everything at Tennessee. It's disgusting.

No, we would rather win. You would rather blow sunshine towards a 2-3 team. Now that's disgusting.

Yeah, it was Bruce's worst year here. And he made the tourney, which Martin will not do this year.

Bruce made sure of that

also is a 30pt ass-kicking in the 1st round really something to brag about?

No, we would rather win.

Yet you would rather speculate how Bruce would have won these games. Here's my speculation: We win both the Memphis and Oakland games, yet you'd still be here spewing your usual crap.

You would rather blow sunshine towards a 2-3 team. Now that's disgusting.

Really? Please show me these "sunshine blowing" posts of mine.

You think. I have never seen a big time athletic program get so excited over losses before. It was pathetic.

I know what you're saying, but when you consider the expectations entering the season for this particular team, I was excited myself about the losses. It's not just about wins or losses - it's about the long run of a season, and doing well in those close losses hinted strongly at the team being much stronger than we had anticipated this year.

When the difference in a game is so small (double overtime, two points), it showed me that our team strength was right there with those teams. Had we scored one more point than Memphis in regulation, we would have won but I'm not sure that would have meant much different other than that the team would have had the mental and emotional positiveness and momentum that goes with winning.

Of course, losing to Oakland changes that thinking a little, but at the time of the Maui tournament, I was with everybody else, being a lot more confident about this team than I had been before the season. Even with the Oakland loss, I'm with others that think we will go around 8-8 in the SEC and be on the NCAA bubble this year.

I know what you're saying, but when you consider the expectations entering the season for this particular team, I was excited myself about the losses. It's not just about wins or losses - it's about the long run of a season, and doing well in those close losses hinted strongly at the team being much stronger than we had anticipated this year.

When the difference in a game is so small (double overtime, two points), it showed me that our team strength was right there with those teams. Had we scored one more point than Memphis in regulation, we would have won but I'm not sure that would have meant much different other than that the team would have had the mental and emotional positiveness and momentum that goes with winning.

Of course, losing to Oakland changes that thinking a little, but at the time of the Maui tournament, I was with everybody else, being a lot more confident about this team than I had been before the season. Even with the Oakland loss, I'm with others that think we will go around 8-8 in the SEC and be on the NCAA bubble this year.

Well Vol37, I'm with you. I much prefer to look for the positive, rather than constantly focusing on the negative. However, you will soon be advised that this team can't possibly go to the tournament simply because Bruce Pearl is no longer the coach.

Guilty here. I thought we were going to be a pretty good team based on our two losses in Maui. Now it appears we are right where we thought we were coming into the season. I am just so frustrated. I tried to prepare myself for this potential loss to Oakland, but when I saw that we lost (I missed the whole game, fortunately) I was still legitimately surprised and pretty angry. We should beat that team. It is that simple. And if we truly were better and a tournament contender, we would have. That is how I feel. My hopes are officially down now.

That said, if we beat Pittsburgh this weekend, then I will just be straight up confused. Haha.

VN Store

Back