Game Summary

LawVol13

1) Trae Golden was simply dominated tonight. Reggie Hamilton utterly destroyed him. He played selfish, lazy, and nonchalant. It's time for Martin to put a foot in his ass.

2.) The perimeter defense was pretty piss poor the entire night. This team can't allow anyone to score 89 points and expect to win.

3.) Jordan McRae played a fantastic game. Hopefully, he'll continue to play at a high level.

4.) Cam Tatum shot the ball well. Yet, he misses shots he simply should not miss.

5.) Jeronne Maymon was a no show. He didn't build on the Memphis performance. I'm curious if the achilles is still bothering him.

6.) This team is tired, I'm sure. It's not an excuse for their play, but it is most likely a fact.

7.) Tonight, the bench did little to nothing; not a good game on either end.

8.) Oakland has an impressive team for a mid major. Reggie Hamilton looks like he could play for just about anyone.

9.) This team had better get the game Monday night against Pittsburgh if we're serious about being a bubble team this year.

10.) All in all, this was a step back from our progress we made in Maui. Not a lot of positives to take from this one.

1) Trae Golden was simply dominated tonight. Reggie Hamilton utterly destroyed him. He played selfish, lazy, and nonchalant. It's time for Martin to put a foot in his ass.

2.) The perimeter defense was pretty piss poor the entire night. This team can't allow anyone to score 89 points and expect to win.

3.) Jordan McRae played a fantastic game. Hopefully, he'll continue to play at a high level.

4.) Cam Tatum shot the ball well. Yet, he misses shots he simply should not miss.

5.) Jeronne Maymon was a no show. He didn't build on the Memphis performance. I'm curious if the achilles is still bothering him.

6.) This team is tired, I'm sure. It's not an excuse for their play, but it is most likely a fact.

8.) Oakland has an impressive team for a mid major. Reggie Hamilton looks like he could play for just about anyone.

9.) This team had better get the game Monday night against Pittsburgh if we're serious about being a bubble team this year.

10.) All in all, this was a step back from our progress we made in Maui. Not a lot of positives to take from this one.

Trae Golden is just neither fast enough or has good enough footwork to guard guys like Hamilton. I think Martin is going to do very good things for us, but he baffled me when he didn't send a double or drop back in a zone (even though he doesn't like to) to cut off the penetration by Hamilton. I don't like that he was so stubborn to stay in man that he put McRae on him for a possession. Made no sense to me.

Trae Golden is just neither fast enough or has good enough footwork to guard guys like Hamilton. I think Martin is going to do very good things for us, but he baffled me when he didn't send a double or drop back in a zone (even though he doesn't like to) to cut off the penetration by Hamilton. I don't like that he was so stubborn to stay in man that he put McRae on him for a possession. Made no sense to me.

I would have gone four guard, one post against them late and put Washpun on Hamilton, who was doing a good job.

Don't think you could zone Oakland with the way they were shooting from the perimeter. I would have doubled Hamilton off the high ball screen and made him give up the ball. As to Trae, it appears to me he simply doesn't put the effort in on defense. That seems to be the problem. He wasn't too slow to drive by Hamilton on the other end of the floor.

Now we get some much needed rest. Hopefully Maymon is able to heal up. Our perimeter D needs work. Our shot selection needs work. Now's the time. This one shouldn't be that hard to put behind them.

Bring on Pitt. I'm expecting a war.

-Oakland is a good team with a potential NBA player that played well, aggressive and hit a ton of shots.
-Tracy Chapman lit up golden as well
-Golden can't go to his left and will become easier to guard
-CM needs to open his mind, adapt, and play a little zone. You have to be able to change it up. People will be dribbling around us the whole year.

Don't think you could zone Oakland with the way they were shooting from the perimeter. I would have doubled Hamilton off the high ball screen and made him give up the ball. As to Trae, it appears to me he simply doesn't put the effort in on defense. That see to be the problem. He wasn't too slow to drive by Hamilton on the other end of the floor.

Outside of #23, most of the 3's came off dribble penetration. They had little inside presence. I think a 3/2 with length and quickness could have been effective. Maybe not for long, but for 8-10 possessions.

Reactions: 1 person

Can't disagree. I will expound though.

-- I'm tired of Golden's selfishness on offense and laziness on defense. I hope Martin kicks his ass. We go as he goes.

-- I've given up on Hall. He might have a decent night at times, but he is a marginal player at best. He's lazy as hell and can't finish and fouls way too damn much. His scholarship is a waste in my opinion.

-- Maymon only got 5 shots. I think his heel is bothering him too, but he should've gotten more shots than that. I think Martin can do better than that or at least tell Golden what the hell to do.

-- Martin left me with some not so good feelings after this game. We didn't defend worth a damn. We let Hamilton get 35 points. The slow, white guy, Petros, had 12 boards at one point. I can't remember what he finished with. I hope it was the long trip to Maui, but we seemed disinterested in the 1st half and turned it up in the 2nd only to do stupid things to keep us from getting back into the game. Worst game of the Martin era so far.

-- This team is a .500 team at best like most of us figured. If we come to play, we can play with almost anybody. If we play lazy like we did tonight, we can lose to almost anybody.

>Team came out lethargic
> UT didn't feed the post
>Oakland shot better than they will 95% of the time
>UT didn't rebound well (lack of effort)
> Hopefully we can drum this up to jet lag from Maui
>Big game against Pitt on Sunday at TBA

Outside of #23, most of the 3's came off dribble penetration. They had little inside presence. I think a 3/2 with length and quickness could have been effective. Maybe not for long, but for 8-10 possessions.

I don't. You simply adjust your man to man defense to control the dribble drive. There's no reason to randomly go to a defense that you never play when you can tweak the defense that you do play.

This was a trap game. I'm more concerned about how we play against Pitt.

Gotta give credit to Oakland. They played very well and seem to be very disciplined and well coached.

Outside of McRae on offense, and maybe Washpun on D, everybody played poorly. Lack of focus and generally soft all around. Hopefully CCM will address these issues... he has 4 full days.

The guy we thought was our best outside player was dominated, and the guy we thought was our best inside player was a no show. The fact that we were even close says that the rest of the team is starting to come around.

But we just have to have solid performances from both Golden and Maymon every night if we want to win. Just the way it is right now.

Lot of things went wrong in this game, and in isolation, it's not the worst loss in the world. But with the schedule this year, we can't afford much in the way of any losses to non-top ten teams.

28/31 from the line. Damnit.

The guy we thought was our best outside player was dominated, and the guy we thought was our best inside player was a no show. The fact that we were even close says that the rest of the team is starting to come around.

But we just have to have solid performances from both Golden and Maymon every night if we want to win. Just the way it is right now.

Lot of things went wrong in this game, and in isolation, it's not the worst loss in the world. But with the schedule this year, we can't afford much in the way of any losses to non-top ten teams.

28/31 from the line. Damnit.

Apparently, Maymon is still battling the achilles per the Vol Network. He gets a pass. Golden doesn't. I'd start Washpun against Pitt and send a message that defense gets you on the floor if I was Martin.

So I take it Martin coached a flawless game? You're summaries are quick to criticize the players but nothing on the coaching. Seems fair.

I don't. You simply adjust your man to man defense to control the dribble drive. There's no reason to randomly go to a defense that you never play when you can tweak the defense that you do play.

Dude. I'm not saying to play it without practicing. I'm saying he needs to put a couple options in the book for nights like this. When you can play man and keep up, do it. When you can't and the other team has good handlers and shooters, a switch in D can help. Our strenth is length. Get mcrae, cam, and somebody else up top and on the wings.
Games come down to possessions and if you can steal a couple or get a stop its worth the shot.

9.) This team had better get the game Saturday @ 5:15 against Pittsburgh if we're serious about being a bubble team this year.

fyp

Apparently, Maymon is still battling the achilles per the Vol Network. He gets a pass. Golden doesn't. I'd start Washpun against Pitt and send a message that defense gets you on the floor if I was Martin.

Yeah, I didn't mean to blame both Golden and Maymon (just Golden), just point out that we're at a point as a team where we need both those guys to be strong or one of those guys to be ridiculous. I hope that Achilles doesn't nag Jeronne all year.

Washpun has improved by leaps and bounds though since the scrimmages, except on his dunking. It's definitely time to up his minutes until Trae gets his focus back.

Can CM figure out a way to get Richardson and Mcrae on the floor at the same time? I am really excited about what Richardson can become but if he and JM play the same position he can't play much of a role.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back