One and done rule to change(possibly)

Big deal. Anything like this is always gong to benefit teams like Kentucky, but if CCM turns out to be a good/great coach and recruiter that kids want to play for, then it would benefit us as well. If this rule was in place last year, we'd still have Tobias, and likely be a 1 loss team right now.

Big deal. Anything like this is always gong to benefit teams like Kentucky, but if CCM turns out to be a good/great coach and recruiter that kids want to play for, then it would benefit us as well. If this rule was in place last year, we'd still have Tobias, and likely be a 1 loss team right now.

Kind of is a big deal with the way Kentucky recruits.

Cousins and Wall went to the Elite 8.

Jones and Knight went to the Final Four.

Combined:
DeMarcus Cousin, Josh Harrelson
Terrence Jones, Daniel Orton
Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins
Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb
John Wall, Eric Bledsoe

They might not get quite all of those guys but Cousins and Wall alone probably could have won the championship in their second year. If they were able to add a second recruiting class to put around them, I'd like their chances of going undefeated. This rule would by far benefit Calipari and Kentucky more than anyone. Kentucky would be virtually impossible to beat if they're putting eight 5*'s on the floor every season.

5* John Wall
5* Demarcus Cousins
5* Eric Bledsoe
5* Daniel Orton
4* Jon Hood
4* Darnell Dodson

5* Brandon Knight
5* Terrence Jones
5* Doron Lamb
5* Enes Kanter
4* Stacy Poole
4* Eloy Vargas

5* Anthony Davis
5* Mike Gilchrist
5* Marquis Teague
5* Kyle Wiltjer

5* Alex Poythres
5* Archie Goodwin
4* Willie Cauley

They would literally have eight 5*'s on roster every year if their recruiting didn't fall off.

Marginal improvement of a rule that makes a mockery of the idea of "student athletes".

If these kids are truly good enough to go to the NBA out of high school then let them go. Otherwise, basketball needs the same rule in place for college baseball. Once you enroll you are there at least until the end of your Junior season in school.

Reactions: 1 person
Marginal improvement of a rule that makes a mockery of the idea of "student athletes".

If these kids are truly good enough to go to the NBA out of high school then let them go. Otherwise, basketball needs the same rule in place for college baseball. Once you enroll you are there at least until the end of your Junior season in school.

I believe that is actually one of the focal points of the deal. If you want to declare, you can go straight to the draft. If not, it's a 2 year stay.

I believe that is actually one of the focal points of the deal. If you want to declare, you can go straight to the draft. If not, it's a 2 year stay.

I must have missed that part. That would cut down on some of Kentucky's 5* recruits then. Some of the guys they recruit are only going there for a year because they can't go pro. Would make it less dramatic than I was making it out to be. The thought of Kentucky getting four 5* players for a second season and adding four more 5*'s was mind blowing.

I have to agree with this. I absolutely hate the One and Done Rule and I don't want anymore one and dones at Tennessee. If your good enough to go to the Pros out of HS, then go, otherwise go to college and grow up. I also think that the NBA should have a program for those young men that go to the Pros out of HS with basic money management courses, Public Speaking and such.

I have to agree with this. I absolutely hate the One and Done Rule and I don't want anymore one and dones at Tennessee. If your good enough to go to the Pros out of HS, then go, otherwise go to college and grow up. I also think that the NBA should have a program for those young men that go to the Pros out of HS with basic money management courses, Public Speaking and such.

Might want to just go ahead and make that available to everyone. Seem to be plenty of players that went to college and aren't good with managing money or public speaking.

Former Celtics star Antoine Walker is broke and in debt - Ball Don't Lie - NBABlog - Yahoo! Sports

In 12 years, Antoine Walker made more than $110 million playing professional basketball

This wouldn't benefit UK, it would benefit other programs, those guys wouldn't sit behind the Soph. stars UK has. Regardless, this isn't happening.

This wouldn't benefit UK, it would benefit other programs, those guys wouldn't sit behind the Soph. stars UK has. Regardless, this isn't happening.

Disagree.

Four 5* sophomores start. One 5* freshman starts and the other three freshman 5*'s get plenty of playing time off the bench. Then then the three sitting on the bench would start their sophomore year. They go to Kentucky because Calipari can coach them into lottery picks in the span of a season. I'd gladly come off the bench my first season and start the second season if I were guaranteed to be a lottery pick. Who cares about early playing time if it's for the wrong coach? See Scotty Hopson. Daniel Orton sat on the bench playing 13.2 minutes a game while averaging 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds. He was still a 1st round pick

Maybe this won't happen but I'm pretty sure plenty of highly rated players will be willing to come off the bench as freshman if Calipari keeps putting the people in front of them in the NBA as soon as they are eligible.

The distribution of talent would be better than you think because playing time is so important. If someone is looking to get out in 2 years, they are not going to want to spend those 2 years on the bench mired in talented depth.

I think the best thing for parity would be letting kids go straight highschool->league, but if they go to college they have to stay 2-3.

These rules are SO STUPID!! It should be either to let the HS players go straight to the NBA or make them stay in college all 4 years. There is absolutely ZERO justification for any other option.

If this rule were in place, then John Wall and Demarcus Cousins never play a single game as a wildcat.

This.

There needs to be a 2 year minimum rule or none at all. This one and done crap completely takes away from the tradition of college basketball. You are so interested and captivated by some of these freshman than all of a sudden they leave to the NBA, where many of them have unproductive careers.

I must have missed that part. That would cut down on some of Kentucky's 5* recruits then. Some of the guys they recruit are only going there for a year because they can't go pro. Would make it less dramatic than I was making it out to be. The thought of Kentucky getting four 5* players for a second season and adding four more 5*'s was mind blowing.

Personally I think it would benefit UK. Then team chemistry would be back in play and with a marginal bench coach team chemistry would only help...check the Butler's and Gonzaga's of the world....

They go to Kentucky because Calipari can coach them into lottery picks in the span of a season. I'd gladly come off the bench my first season and start the second season if I were guaranteed to be a lottery pick.

Cal doesn't make these kids lottery picks. They are lottery picks coming out of HS. He just holds gets them before the NBA does.

VN Store

Back