Sideline Demeanor

Carlitovol

::Straight cash homey::
I love Bruce and he clearly did an unbelievable job making UT b-ball relevant on a national scale..

That being said, I got a little tired of the way he would constantly scream, rant, rave, and go ballistic on the sidelines. It always seemed a little over-the-top to me.

In my opinion, if you're screaming and yelling and jumping up and down nearly all the time, it's likely to lose some of its desired effect on the players.

Enter Cuonzo. The guy has a calm, professional, business-like, intense demeanor on the sideline that I really like. And IMO the players reflect this to a degree - in terms of intensity, effort and the workman-like approach they seem to have. I like that old line "speak softly and carry a big stick".. (FDR?) ..and I think CCM really characterizes that. He just looks like a bada$$ and has an intense glare that seems like it could cut right thru you.

I'm not saying this is going to win us any games, but I just think that a team typically embodies the personality and attitude of its coach. And I really like what I've seen so far from CCM.

Just some random thoughts after watching this team play a handful of games...

GBO

Reactions: 3 people
Agreed. I also like that he will bench guys for playing like morons, as he did with McBee and McRae yesterday. It's hard to remember Pearl benching guys like that.

I love Bruce and he clearly did an unbelievable job making UT b-ball relevant on a national scale..

That being said, I got a little tired of the way he would constantly scream, rant, rave, and go ballistic on the sidelines. It always seemed a little over-the-top to me.

In my opinion, if you're screaming and yelling and jumping up and down nearly all the time, it's likely to lose some of its desired effect on the players.

Enter Cuonzo. The guy has a calm, professional, business-like, intense demeanor on the sideline that I really like. And IMO the players reflect this to a degree - in terms of intensity, effort and the workman-like approach they seem to have. I like that old line "speak softly and carry a big stick".. (FDR?) ..and I think CCM really characterizes that. He just looks like a bada$$ and has an intense glare that seems like it could cut right thru you.

I'm not saying this is going to win us any games, but I just think that a team typically embodies the personality and attitude of its coach. And I really like what I've seen so far from CCM.

GBO

There is no doubt its very different. We are going to constantly compare CM with BP. That's what we do when we deep down respect the guy that left. In many ways I feel sorry for CM because of this but so far so good.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

GBO

Brad Stevens at Butler has the same demeanor and he's been pretty successful last time I checked. You don't have to go ballistic for 40 minutes to be successful as a coach

Agreed. I also like that he will bench guys for playing like morons, as he did with McBee and McRae yesterday. It's hard to remember Pearl benching guys like that.

if that were true mcbee would not see the court until that god awful stach is gone

I believe coach K is pretty calm on the sideline as well.

Jury is still out whether he will be successful though. :crazy:

GBO
Agree. Spot-on. There are all different personalities that find success. His style is reflected in his team and I find it very refreshing.

Last edited:
There is cool, and there is Cuonzo Cool. Those guys play hard for the coach.

Especially liked watching Maymon today while he was resting (well deserved). Jumped up every single time UT made a play. This may be one of my all time favorite teams.

Like Bruce, like his energy, but Coach K wins a lot of games and look at his demeanor

Coach K has one of the foulest mouths in college basketball. I have heard him drop F bombs right in a refs face with no repercussions. Coach K doesn't get upset that much any more, because Duke gets most of the calls. Still bitter over the "clock malfunction" game against Clemson. As for Martin, he had the same demeanor as a player. He was a quiet killer, didn't need to scream and yell, his intensity on the court spoke for its self.

When a coach is constantly yelling and screaming, it is hard to tell when he is legitimately upset or fired up. When a coach with a usually calm demeanor yells or gets pumped up, I think it has a much stronger effect on the players, in terms of both discipline and motivation.

Reactions: 1 person
When a coach is constantly yelling and screaming, it is hard to tell when he is legitimately upset or fired up. When a coach with a usually calm demeanor yells or gets pumped up, I think it has a much stronger effect on the players, in terms of both discipline and motivation.
Agreed. I think the players, much like the fan base, was numb and tired of Pearl's "act" after a few years.

Not sure you guys should use Coach K as a calm demeanor example. He looks pretty darn excitable to me tonight. Great game BTW if you missed it.

Just let it go. Bruce was dumb and deserved to be fired but your post is ridiculous.

Then why did attendance fall his later years and the players became apathetic towards his coaching?

The first few years, everyone from players to the fans were fired up and they played with tons of energy and hustle. That mentality just couldn't hold over the years.

Not sure you guys should use Coach K as a calm demeanor example. He looks pretty darn excitable to me tonight. Great game BTW if you missed it.

He started jumping up and down after that three then realized what he did and called a timeout to make sure his team didn't lose composure. Thought that was impressive for dome reason.

Then why did attendance fall his later years and the players became apathetic towards his coaching?

The first few years, everyone from players to the fans were fired up and they played with tons of energy and hustle. That mentality just couldn't hold over the years.

You mean last year? I would hardly call going to an elite 8 as player's being apathetic. I think we all know why attendance was down a little last year and even then we still had good attendance with a lameduck coach and a very inconsistent team.

Attendance didn't fall off that much. Hell, the economy sucks balls and the team was Jekyll and Hyde so that may have had something to do with it. I think if anything, people got tired of seeing our guys in the press for all the wrong reasons (New Year's Day arrests, busted for crack cocaine, etc). I don't think anyone was pleased with that. Every coach has a honeymoon period and Pearl's lasted longer than most. He was given a lot of leeway because we had become so bad for the most part for the last 20 years.

You mean last year? I would hardly call going to an elite 8 as player's being apathetic. I think we all know why attendance was down a little last year and even then we still had good attendance with a lameduck coach and a very inconsistent team.

Didn't realize we went to the Elite 8 last year

This post is just ridiculous nonsense. The year before Bruce got fired we were one shot away from the Final Four. His last year was a wash because of all the drama surrounding the program but even in a bad year, we went to the NCAA tournament and had some really impressive wins.

The NCAA looked and looked at Pearl's program and found no evidence of cheating during his watch. The man got fired for lying about letting some juniors have some burgers at his house. He brought no sanctions of note against our university. People demonizing him like they are is ridiculous.

That being said I support Coach Martin and I like the promise he brings to the program. All these accolades people are throwing around about him needs to wait until he has won something first. Yeah we only lost to Duke by ten but Davidson was beating them in the second half and lost by just 3 points more than we did. Yes we came close to Memphis but they got stomped by Michigan and lost to Georgetown.

VN Store

Back