Do you think we have a shot at contending for the SEC?

THE SOZ

VFL
OK, there is no way in hell we our the 11th best team in the SEC. After seeing the way weve played in these two games I think we our in the top 5 behind Kentucky,Florida,Vandy and Bama. IMO I think we could make a run at the SEC title since we have a team who plays there ass off buzzer to buzzer. What are your expectations on this. Discuss.

Last edited:
No. 10 wins best we can do. Kentucky will win 13-15 games.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

OK, there is no way in hell we our the 11th best team in the SEC. After seeing the way weve played in these two games I think we our in the top 5 behind Kentucky,Florida,Vandy and Bama. IMO I think we could make a run at the SEC title since we have a team who plays there ass off buzzer to buzzer. What are your expectations on this. Discuss.

I agree we are a lot better than previously thought, but I don't see us winning the sec. No way for regular season and I think it's possible we make a run in the tourney though. Love the direction this team is headed and love the coach more and more.

Last edited:
I agree we are a lot better than previously thought, but we don't see us winning the sec. No way for regular season and I think it's possible we make a run in the tourney though. Love the direction this team is headed and love the coach more and more.

Yeah I agree I just think when we or if we get in the tourny we could make a little run and open some eyes. I love the effort and heart this team has.

I don't about contending if we play scrappy D and pound the boards we will shock some teams; especially if we the fans are just as roudy in TB. Go Vols!

Yeah I agree I just think when we or if we get in the tourny we could make a little run and open some eyes. I love the effort and heart this team has.

Definitely agree. This team is a team no one wants to play. Especially in a tourney situation.

Hate to be over confident, but IMO we'll be at least .500 in conference. Definitely not the second worst team.

Hate to be over confident, but IMO we'll be at least .500 in conference. Definitely not the second worst team.

With the state of the conference I would be disappointed with less than .500 However I don't think this team can win more than 10 in the league. The schedule doesn't do us any favors with Bama and Miss state, the 2 best teams in the west, on the road.

I for one am proud of teams fight. However I think Duke isnt as great as analyst made it sound and Memphis is maybe a top 25 team not top 10. I feel we will win half our games in conference play. Partially because we are middle of the road team and the teams you mentioned will be at the top and several teams in SEC are just awful. So I see us beating the have nots and the haves beating us.

No Kentucky,Florida,Vandy all way better that us in the east. Georgia. We will be better than where we are picked in the SEC.

THe SEC East is loaded this year. I can't see us finishing better than 3rd or 4th in the East, That might still be good enough to get in the NCAA Tourney though.

THe SEC East is loaded this year. I can't see us finishing better than 3rd or 4th in the East, That might still be good enough to get in the NCAA Tourney though.

Guys I think a lot rides on Trae Golden. Trae isn't a true point guard and is really struggling getting to the basket against constant pressure. His performance and decisions yesterday were simply inexcusable and flat out lost us this game, problem is we didn't have anybody else who could get the ball up the court in that type of pressure. Washpun really helps Golden out and McRae also does a good job of taking the ball up the court.

McRae is going to have to step up, he is the only way this team competes for 3rd place in the SEC, or an NCAA tourney birth. McRae will take pressure off of Golden and now Maymon. He has the ability, but Cuonzo is obviously very pissed at him or else he wouldn't have spent the vast majority of the second half or OT on the bench.

Guys I think a lot rides on Trae Golden. Trae isn't a true point guard and is really struggling getting to the basket against constant pressure. His performance and decisions yesterday were simply inexcusable and flat out lost us this game, problem is we didn't have anybody else who could get the ball up the court in that type of pressure. Washpun really helps Golden out and McRae also does a good job of taking the ball up the court.

McRae is going to have to step up, he is the only way this team competes for 3rd place in the SEC, or an NCAA tourney birth. McRae will take pressure off of Golden and now Maymon. He has the ability, but Cuonzo is obviously very pissed at him or else he wouldn't have spent the vast majority of the second half or OT on the bench.

McRae is not making good decisions, not playing smart basketball, not playing within the system, and getting beat routinely off the dribble. He needs to improve in all those areas or Richardson will take more and more minutes from him.

No, we will not contend for the SECthis year. Why set that level of expectation just to be disappointed? Almost beating two teams in Hawaii and now we are contenders? Incredible.

McRae is not making good decisions, not playing smart basketball, not playing within the system, and getting beat routinely off the dribble. He needs to improve in all those areas or Richardson will take more and more minutes from him.

I completely agree, BUT McRae has a lot more ability than Richardson. He has a much quicker first step and higher vertical. His release is nice too, he just isn't shooting the ball in good positions or taking high quality shots. I would like to see him put it together because his ceiling is much higher. The problem is McRae's game is built more for a team like Memphis and Bruce Pearl's old squads, so his game and Cuonzo's systems may never mesh.

I still stand behind my preseason predictions of being 5th or 6th best. The only thing that's thrown me off guard was that Golden and Maymon would be leading this team. I really thought McRae and Tatum would be the go-to guys and thought Hall would have progressed tremendously.

With Kentucky in the SEC there is no chance. This team is far from the 11th best team in the SEC though.

I think we can certainly win some big games in the SEC. No one knows what to expect from CCM, and our guys seem to be playing with heart. If they keep playing well in the paint, and start taking some well placed 3 pointers, we will be a hard team to win against.

You have to believe we'll have at least a shot against every team at home. I think we'll split with a few of the big dogs. We won't contend though, yet.

It's still too early to tell honestly. We'll have a much better read on what kind of team we have in January. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this team plays on the road.

It's still too early to tell honestly. We'll have a much better read on what kind of team we have in January. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this team plays on the road.

I agree. Even though we have good reason to be optimistic, we need to see this team play several more times in order to make a truly accurate assessment IMO.

Regarding the original post, this team doesn't have a prayer of contending for the SEC ! What are you even thinking to post something totally crazy like that?

This team will do well to finish with a .500 record. They will be reasonably competitive all year, but they will lose many of these competitive games. Some games against Kentucky, Vandy and Florida they won't even be competitive. It's sad, but likely true.

VN Store

Back