Coach Martin 4 games IN

BruinVol

I thought it would be fun to state a few specific impressions we all have had to this point.

1) He allows freedom. He is much more of a players coach than I expected. Kids are playing hard for him because of it.

2) He is very relaxed on the officials. This is taking some getting used to. I can remember so many times BP sending over a captain to state our case. I think I like our new approach. Next play mentality.

3) He will sit you down in a hurry. Ask Mcrae. He has missed the last 10min in 2 of our 4 games.

4) He is stubborn. I say this in a good way. So many wanted to get out of the man to man at half. He said by golly we better figure it out or we get blown out. This will pay dividends in the future.

Many, many more but I won't bore you. Share yours!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Agree 100%, OP. I will state for the record that Coach Zo is exactly what I want in a basketball coach for my Vols. It's about time.

The officials thing can be overdone early in the season and in a coach's tenure. It's wise to ignore the bias because if you show respect first you will more than likely gain respect from the officials for your team the longer you coach.

Every point you make is with a goal of long term success. All I can do is add more that say the same thing - long term success.

I think we got ourselves a good coach .it would be nice if we could get Stokes next year to go along with Maymon

I agree with all your points. ANy doubt about CCM should now be put aside. He has shown against 2 Top 10 teams that he can take this team and compete against anybody. Yeah, we'll take our bumps against KY, who I don't think will lose more than 1 or 2 games all season. Besides them, I think our VOls will be in every game with a chance to win. Depending on how we shoot the ball, we'll win more than our share or if we can't hit the three, we'll win around 15 or 16 games. If Cuonzo can recruit (Needs Jarnell Stokes really bad), he'll win big in K-town.

Let say first of all I loved Bruce. Now let me say my basketball coach is gonna be freaking awesome.

Zo has a plan and that is clear. I've watched every game this year and I'm ecstatic with the results. I would have thought after a tough loss yesterday the team may come out flat, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I expect, like the announcers stated today, for this team to well exceed our preseason expectations. CCM has glowing reviews from numerous "experts" and from what I've seen so far those appear to be accurate.

We no longer go around, or by people, this team is trying to go thru people. Enjoying the tough play.

Coach Martin has these boys working their asses off. I hope they don't get discouraged with the losses they have taken the last two games. If we see this level of play from them all year, it will translate into big wins. You have to be excited about where this team is going...GBO!

I've been surprised in a good way. I really thought this year would be a total lost cause and that CCM would need time to recruit. In other words, I expected a lot of misery. But CCM has lit a fire in his players, and win or lose, they come to play. I like that.

This team plays with the same kind of toughness that Bruce's early teams played with. I am hopeful for this season and years to come. Hope he can recruit. If he can, he can win in a large way and sustain the momentum created by Bruce Pearl for UT basketball.

Agree 100%, OP. I will state for the record that Coach Zo is exactly what I want in a basketball coach for my Vols. It's about time.

The officials thing can be overdone early in the season and in a coach's tenure. It's wise to ignore the bias because if you show respect first you will more than likely gain respect from the officials for your team the longer you coach.

Every point you make is with a goal of long term success. All I can do is add more that say the same thing - long term success.

I would say so far that he has been exactly what I expected. He beats the cupcakes and loses to the top competition. Thats what has happened so far.
Top coaches get calls because they let the officials know that they expect them to be competent and fair. You won't find coach K taking anything from the officials.
Most of the time if a guy can really coach it will show up in immediate improvement. So far CM has not shown me he is top flight coach. I don't want a "good" coach, I want an excellent coach. A coach that can match up with the Caliparis and Krzyzewskis. Does anyone else feel that way on this board. I hope Martin is the guy, but so far he has not shown it. A lot of people on here will take issue with Calipari being a top flight coach. Well coaching is also a matter of recruiting as well as coaching. Calipari has shown he is second to none in recruiting.

I agree with all your points. ANy doubt about CCM should now be put aside. He has shown against 2 Top 10 teams that he can take this team and compete against anybody. Yeah, we'll take our bumps against KY, who I don't think will lose more than 1 or 2 games all season. Besides them, I think our VOls will be in every game with a chance to win. Depending on how we shoot the ball, we'll win more than our share or if we can't hit the three, we'll win around 15 or 16 games. If Cuonzo can recruit (Needs Jarnell Stokes really bad), he'll win big in K-town.

Define win big.

I would say so far that he has been exactly what I expected. He beats the cupcakes and loses to the top competition. Thats what has happened so far.
Top coaches get calls because they let the officials know that they expect them to be competent and fair. You won't find coach K taking anything from the officials.
Most of the time if a guy can really coach it will show up in immediate improvement. So far CM has not shown me he is top flight coach. I don't want a "good" coach, I want an excellent coach. A coach that can match up with the Caliparis and Krzyzewskis. Does anyone else feel that way on this board. I hope Martin is the guy, but so far he has not shown it. A lot of people on here will take issue with Calipari being a top flight coach. Well coaching is also a matter of recruiting as well as coaching. Calipari has shown he is second to none in recruiting.

You haven't seen improvement in our players from last year or from the first exhibition game?

Let say first of all I loved Bruce. Now let me say my basketball coach is gonna be freaking awesome.

Zo has a plan and that is clear. I've watched every game this year and I'm ecstatic with the results. I would have thought after a tough loss yesterday the team may come out flat, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I expect, like the announcers stated today, for this team to well exceed our preseason expectations. CCM has glowing reviews from numerous "experts" and from what I've seen so far those appear to be accurate.

I'm sorry I just don't get it, this TN team has faced two quality opponents and lost to both. How in the world does that make him awesome? Is your goal to just be in the game and not get blown out by 40 points or something.

This team plays with the same kind of toughness that Bruce's early teams played with. I am hopeful for this season and years to come. Hope he can recruit. If he can, he can win in a large way and sustain the momentum created by Bruce Pearl for UT basketball.

By his early teams you mean his year before last team that went to the round of eight and was a point away from a final four. :>)

I'm sorry I just don't get it, this TN team has faced two quality opponents and lost to both. How in the world does that make him awesome? Is your goal to just be in the game and not get blown out by 40 points or something.

Give us specific reasons you are not happy with CM? What does he do that you think will be a reason he won't get it done? He's lost 2 games doesn't prove your point just the same as "we played hard" doesn't disprove it. Be specific

I dont think anyone is saying he is going to win 900 games, but most are pleased that his team so far is scrappy and play hard. He is doing something right because Maymon last year looked like a wasted scholarship. Go Vols!!

I feel some on this board forget that we were rated to be next to last in our division. So the fact that we competed with one top 10 and almost beat the other plus taking them to double overtime? I would say that is pretty good. These guys are still getting better and dare I say he is getting some of these guys looks from the league. Yeah, I like CM a lot.:hi:

You haven't seen improvement in our players from last year or from the first exhibition game?

Yes Maymon stepped up and played big he has really improved from last year. The announcers discussed how he really got himself in shape, lost weight, improved his strength etc. Martin deserves some credit if he motivated him to do what he did. This team has some talent. They have a lot of potential. And they took Memphis to two overtimes, but they fell apart in the last overtime and lost the game. But the bottom line is still that they lost the only two games they have played against quality opponents.
When they start winning against top opponents then we will know that Martin is the real deal. Til then the jury is out. Even though some on here have declared him to be the second coming.

Yes Maymon stepped up and played big he has really improved from last year. The announcers discussed how he really got himself in shape, lost weight, improved his strength etc. Martin deserves some credit if he motivated him to do what he did. This team has some talent. They have a lot of potential. And they took Memphis to two overtimes, but they fell apart in the last overtime and lost the game. But the bottom line is still that they lost the only two games they have played against quality opponents.
When they start winning against top opponents then we will know that Martin is the real deal. Til then the jury is out. Even though some on here have declared him to be the second coming.

I agree completely that the jury is still out but you say when he starts winning we will know he is the guy. If we get the foul call at the end of the 1st overtime and make one FT we would have won. Would that have flipped you?? That's a very fickle opinion. A little too much results oriented IMO.

Too early to know if they have improved as a team from last year. Last year TN beat some name teams and won 19 games despite all the destractions. Ark, SC, Vandy twice, Pitt, Villanova etc.

Too early to know if they have improved as a team from last year. Last year TN beat some name teams and won 19 games despite all the destractions. Ark, SC, Vandy twice, Pitt, Villanova etc.

Agreed but the question was about have the individuals gotten better from last year or over the 6 games(including 2 ex games) so far?

I agree completely that the jury is still out but you say when he starts winning we will know he is the guy. If we get the foul call at the end of the 1st overtime and make one FT we would have won. Would that have flipped you?? That's a very fickle opinion. A little too much results oriented IMO.

Yes if we had scored more points that Memphis we would have won. And that would have been a really big accomplishment for Martin. But they didn't win, they lost. If they had won, my respect for Martin would have gone up a notch, but I still would not have decided on the basis of one excellent win that Martin is going to be an excellent coach. In the two games we lost Tn played very erratic. The highlight for me was the comeback to take the game to overtime. We had ample opportunity to win the game especially when we got up by 4 or 5 points in the first overtime. Then TN really started playing wild throwing up really bad shots and let Memphis back in the game. Too me that reflects very poorly on the coaching staff.

Agreed but the question was about have the individuals gotten better from last year or over the 6 games(including 2 ex games) so far?

It would be really strange if individual players did not improve. Each year they gain more experience. Anyone who goes to practice every day and tries at all is bound to improve some under any coach.

I am very happy with Cuonzo so far as a coach. I think his courtside manner will pay dividends as the SEC season progresses unlike past years. But Bruce did not leave the cupboard bare. There is a lot of raw talent on this team and quite a few 4 star players. So I am not that surprised so far and I expect one win over Kentucky, 1 over bama, 2 over Vandy and none over gators. I expect a trip to the NCAA.

Trae has to make better decisions in big games by having more confidence in his teammates. Pistol Mcbee has to get more shots by working hard all the time. The other heavyweights have to follow Maymon's lead. The more confidence they get the better they will get.

The coolest thing so far is their never give up attitude and that they can work harder as the game goes on. Coach is not as offensively conservative as I thought he might.

I think it looks like a good year. The question is can Cuonzo reload the talent as time goes on?

VN Store

Back