Well Boys, I Think We Have Found A Great Coach

Heath Shuler

Ex Vol QB
Cuonzo is getting the absolute best out of what he has here at UT. All I wanted to see our team do was to be competitve this year and they already have, nearly beating Memphis in 2OT and possibly upsetting Duke last night. Given the fact we lost our 2 best players this offseason in Harris and Hopson, Cuonzo has already proved to me he belongs in the SEC. Just wait until we get a few more talented recruits in here. Go Vols, Go Coach Cuonzo :yes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 people
Conzo is getting the absolute best out of what he has here at UT. All I wanted to see our team do was to be competitve this year and that they alreday have, nearly beating Memphis in 2OT and possibly upsetting Duke last night. Given the fact we lost our 2 best players this offseason in Harris and Hopson, Conzo has already proved to me he belongs in the SEC. Just wait until we get a few more talented recruits in here. Go Vols, Go Coach Conzo :yes:

My goodness if Harris and Hopson had stayed........

Reactions: 7 people
Who was it that said this team would be boring to watch?
This game gave me ulcers.
Great things coming.

I think we're a top 15 team if only Harris stayed. Hopson's style doesn't mesh with the tough style Martin has implemented.

could be true. Harris would be an absolute beast in this style.

Cuonzo could've honed Scotty's game in some, and gotten more out of the potential that was there.

Reactions: 2 people
I tend to agree with you but we have only played 4 games, a little to soon to blankedly endorse but his halftime adjustments made this a great game. He clearly will react to what he sees on the court unlike some coaches.

I think we're a top 15 team if only Harris stayed. Hopson's style doesn't mesh with the tough style Martin has implemented.

That's a nice way of putting it.

No question after this game that we have a great coach. I'll take Martin over Pastner any day.

He hasn't proven anything yet in recruiting. That will be the real test of whether or not he is even a good coach, much less great.

So far, I'm extremely underwhelmed with his recruiting.

I'm am soo pumped about how Cuonzo's true freshmen are contributing, thats what great coaches have happen. Their younguns play well early in the SEC. Makanjuola, and Richardson are playing very well. Washpun will get better he just needs maturity in his decision making. :good!:

He hasn't proven anything yet in recruiting. That will be the real test of whether or not he is even a good coach, much less great.

I was on paper. However, Miller, Richardson, Waspun, and Yemi certainly don't look like bad players. Those appear to all be excellent evaluations by Martin.

Reactions: 1 person

Richardson is his recruit, and he may be playing as well as any fresh in the SEC. Makanjuola was a relative unknown find yet hustles down court and plays good D. Thats a good recruiter if you ask me. :ermm:

I honestly think that Cuonzo could've got through to Scotty. With Bruce, you had a "player's buddy" kinda guy, and that is no slight to Bruce because that works with a lot of players. But Scotty needed someone on him from the time he stepped foot on campus because he thought he was going to be here for a year and then go to the NBA and make millions.

It takes time to develop relationships with recruits. Unless you coach at UK, UNC, Duke, KU, etc. you aren't going to just walk right in and have elite players beating down your door to sign with you.

I was on paper. However, Miller, Richardson, Waspun, and Yemi certainly don't look like bad players. Those appear to all be excellent evaluations by Martin.

I am starting to think that Richardson should be considered for a starting job. Seems to provide more support than McRae or Tatum (even if he doesn't touch the ball as much as those two).

Richardson, wash, and yemi all played well for freshmen.

Time will tell. Way to early to know at this point. I hope they turn out much better than they were rated coming out of high school. I was getting quite used to the talent that Pearl was able to bring in.

VN Store

Back