Still doubting Cuonzo??

1985Vols

I hope tonight's game vs. Duke keeps the Cuonzo doubters quiet for a while. He took a brand new team that is picked to finish 11th in the SEC and played toe to toe with the most heralded team/coach in College Basketball on a neutral court. If we give Cuonzo time, I really think he can build something special in Knox-Vegas. And let's not be too quick to jump ship when we lose several games this year. THis team will still be fortunate to win more than it loses, but I still think they'll pull some upsets along the way. If things fall their way, an NIT or lonshot NCAA bid could be in the cards.
Cuonzo is THE MAN!!

Reactions: 2 people
We are going to surprise some people this year. This team plays tough defense and did some work on the boards tonight. We are a different team with Trae Golden on the floor and he was out a lot with foul trouble. He is a BALLER! We will pull a few upsets this year and I like the way this team plays under CCM. GBO!

Tennessee played a good game, but Belmont almost beat Duke at their place. We have Memphis tomorrow.

Saw some things i liked. Too early to say anything about anything yet.... They looked more organized than at any time last year. They weren't lazy on defense either. Free throws? They actually hit them.

We played a good game, but it is still very early in the season. Way too early to judge CCM at this point. I am cautiously optimistic

Well we don't know Bruce Pearl wouldn't have beaten Duke... but Martin is our coach and I am certainly happy to have him.

I like what I see, but want to still wait until the sec season. I support him, but not sure yet. I would like to see a few things before I call it a sure thing. Doesn't make me a hater by any means.

-how do we play once teams get some film
-can we finish better
-who really comes on and who drops off
-is Hall better at midseason, or does he sit down and never get up. This can't continue.
-Do we tire, or do we get stronger as we go with this new regime. We are in good shape, but we didn't look in any better shape than Duke.

As far as people saying that the ball would be boring, you couldn't have been more incorrect. The constant movement is welcome.

The concern I have with coach Martin is in the area of recruiting. I was impressed with his coaching ability when Missouri State came to Knoxville last season and gave us all we wanted before losing by 4.

Reactions: 1 person
The concern I have with coach Martin is in the area of recruiting. I was impressed with his coaching ability when Missouri State came to Knoxville last season and gave us all we wanted before losing by 4.

Was that bucktoothed kid with no upper lip a highly rated prospect?

Serious question. His offensive skill was better than anyone we had and I assume he was a 3 star or so.

I hope tonight's game vs. Duke keeps the Cuonzo doubters quiet for a while. He took a brand new team that is picked to finish 11th in the SEC and played toe to toe with the most heralded team/coach in College Basketball on a neutral court. If we give Cuonzo time, I really think he can build something special in Knox-Vegas. And let's not be too quick to jump ship when we lose several games this year. THis team will still be fortunate to win more than it loses, but I still think they'll pull some upsets along the way. If things fall their way, an NIT or lonshot NCAA bid could be in the cards.
Cuonzo is THE MAN!!

Anyone that can make Swiper a contributing member of the Orange society wins my support as a good coach. Swiper is boxing out, getting rebounds, blocking shots and scrapping after the ball -- in addition, a couple of the freshmen are already looking better than they did two weeks ago.

Don Devoe was also a very good coach but only a fair recruiter. It is imperative to reach the success that we need and expect here that the head coach be able to recruit as well as coach. Here the jury is still out, but as Cuonzo gains confidence with his team on the court it may carry over in recruiting. He is a great guy as was Bruce before him but he can come across a little harsh and dry. If I were a player that would not be the first two attributes I would be looking for in someone I was going to be spending 4 years with.

Please understand this is my perception. He may be a lot of fun at practice and keep everyone in stitches--but he appears very stoic in public, at least when I have seen
him.

Here's to a 20 win season, top 10 recruiting class, and a long and successful career in his future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
There are certainly things to be optimistic about...things that have been lacking over the past couple of years. I like the movement on offense, the hustle, the rebounding, the foul shooting...and I like that we seem to have a purpose/play in mind on offense. It's obvious that we are lacking in experienced talent at this point (as is obvious when McBee, Woolridge, and Hall are getting significant playing time), so it will take some recruiting and progress from the current guys to get us back to NCAA quality. At this point, it's hard to not like what you are seeing (except the blue shoes and socks).

Serious question. His offensive skill was better than anyone we had and I assume he was a 3 star or so.

He was a 5 star McDonald's All-American.

I like what I see, but want to still wait until the sec season. I support him, but not sure yet. I would like to see a few things before I call it a sure thing. Doesn't make me a hater by any means.

-how do we play once teams get some film
-can we finish better
-who really comes on and who drops off
-is Hall better at midseason, or does he sit down and never get up. This can't continue.
-Do we tire, or do we get stronger as we go with this new regime. We are in good shape, but we didn't look in any better shape than Duke.

As far as people saying that the ball would be boring, you couldn't have been more incorrect. The constant movement is welcome.

All valid points. I just think taking this team with an entire new staff and going toe to toe with Duke is pretty impressive. I said before the game that staying within 10 points would be an accomplishment. As the game played out, we actually might have had a shot to pull the upset had Golden not picked up 2 fouls and sat out most of the 1st half, had Maymon hit at least 6 point blank shots, had ANYONE hit a couple of 3 point shots. Hard to believe we had a streak going back to 1997 with at least 1- 3 point shot made that ended tonight and we still come within 10 points.

Anyone that can make Swiper a contributing member of the Orange society wins my support as a good coach. Swiper is boxing out, getting rebounds, blocking shots and scrapping after the ball -- in addition, a couple of the freshmen are already looking better than they did two weeks ago.

Don Devoe was also a very good coach but only a fair recruiter. It is imperative to reach the success that we need and expect here that the head coach be able to recruit as well as coach. Here the jury is still out, but as Cuonzo gains confidence with his team on the court it may carry over in recruiting. He is a great guy as was Bruce before him but he can come across a little harsh and dry. If I were a player that would not be the first two attributes I would be looking for in someone I was going to be spending 4 years with.

Please understand this is my perception. He may be a lot of fun at practice and keep everyone in stitches--but he appears very stoic in public, at least when I have seen
him.

Here's to a 20 win season, top 10 recruiting class, and a long and successful career in his future.

From what I hear the players are crazy about him. He is a high character individual and does not berate players. He instills confidence in them and allows them to make mistakes and learn from their mistakes. Maybe he is not the "life of the party" kind of guy, but he is a very impressive individual.

Don't know.

Recruiting to compete in the Missouri Valley Conference is not the same as the SEC. I hope he can recruit well. I have little doubt in his ability to coach.

Well we don't know Bruce Pearl wouldn't have beaten Duke... but Martin is our coach and I am certainly happy to have him.

Doubtful Pearl could have kept his delivery guys in this one. Hackney is known more for grocery warehousing than basketball.

From what I hear the players are crazy about him. He is a high character individual and does not berate players. He instills confidence in them and allows them to make mistakes and learn from their mistakes. Maybe he is not the "life of the party" kind of guy, but he is a very impressive individual.

Good to hear. I can definitely see the players all toeing the line, going to class, staying out of trouble, etc. Hopefully there is a softer side that shows up in momma's living room.

I loved CBP but honestly, after last year I'm just happy to watch a game where the commentators don't give a complete rundown of the Pearl mess every two seconds...finally talking about the play on the court. That was embarrassing and painful to watch. It was like reliving it over and over again. GBO.

We don't know he (Pearl) would have either. I think we got a gem in Martin. Like the other coaches, once he gets his guys it will be very interesting. I, too, think he will get the most out of the guys he has. VOL BB is looking up.

VN Store

Back