3 Keys to the Game

LawVol13

1) Trae Golden must decisively win the matchup with Curry. Golden's the better player and must play like it.

2) Defend the 3 point line: Dawkins absolutely lit up MSU. We must use our length to make life difficult shooting on the perimeter. We have the personnel to make this happen.

3) Keep Duke off the offensive glass: this is another huge key. The plumlee's can rebound. Our 5 men have to rebound well. It's time for Hall to either step up or sit.

1) Trae Golden must decisively win the matchup with Curry. Golden's the better player and must play like it.

2) Defend the 3 point line: Dawkins absolutely lit up MSU. We must use our length to make life difficult shooting on the perimeter. We have the personnel to make this happen.

3) Keep Duke off the offensive glass: this is another huge key. The plumlee's can rebound. Our 5 men have to rebound well. It's time for Hall to either step up or sit.

agree with the list. Can't wait to see how Golden handles the full court pressure Duke will throw at him.

Cam Tatum and Maymon both need to have career high rebound numbers for the vols to remain close.

agree with the list. Can't wait to see how Golden handles the full court pressure Duke will throw at him.

Cam Tatum and Maymon both need to have career high rebound numbers for the vols to remain close.

I doubt we'll see full court pressure, but we will see some significant halfcourt pressure.

Maymon needs to have a career day for UT to keep it competitive. He's going to have his hands full.

He doesn't have to have a career day. He's just got to play well. If he gets a double-double and golden plays well, the game will be competitive.

Duke's going to be tired. They played Davidson on Friday and just traveled from NC. I really suspect they will have a letdown in the first half, but will blow the roof off the Vols in the second, much like they did Davidson. Defending the three point line and Jordan McRae are the key to this game. I don't think McRae will come through.

Coach K will completely take McRae out of the game. They know Golden cannot beat them by himself and he needs help. McRae is not physical enough and needs another year before he can be a serious leader. His weaknesses will be exposed tonight and Tennessee will lose by 10-12.

Duke's going to be tired. They played Davidson on Friday and just traveled from NC. I really suspect they will have a letdown in the first half, but will blow the roof off the Vols in the second, much like they did Davidson. Defending the three point line and Jordan McRae are the key to this game. I don't think McRae will come through.

Coach K will completely take McRae out of the game. They know Golden cannot beat them by himself and he needs help. McRae is not physical enough and needs another year before he can be a serious leader. His weaknesses will be exposed tonight and Tennessee will lose by 10-12.

I'm not sure I buy that. First, they'll be game planning against golden not mcRae. Second, duke's perimeter players aren't exactly physical, so it's not as if it's going to take some unbelievable amount of physicality on the part of McRae. Hell, McRae's probably bigger than their guards.

I would see no reason to gameplan any harder on McRae than they do Cam Tatum. Their defensive plan will center around stopping Golden not McRae.

Rebounding is what worries me more than anything. Say what you want about the Plumlees and Ryan Kelly, they're way bigger than anyone we have.

Rebounding is what worries me more than anything. Say what you want about the Plumlees and Ryan Kelly, they're way bigger than anyone we have.

Ryan Kelly is a pussy. The plumlee's are the ones we'll have to worry about on the glass. If we can't box out Kelly, we should just bench all of our posts.

Reactions: 2 people
Ryan Kelly is a pussy. The plumlee's are the ones we'll have to worry about on the glass. If we can't box out Kelly, we should just bench all of our posts.

:lolabove: You're right about that. It'll be a great test for our post players, if they do even an average job on the boards I'll feel pretty good about this team.

I think you vastly overrate duke's frontcourt.

Duke's frontcourt is the only reason that Duke is rated as high as they are. Definitely the strength of their team.

All 6'10" or taller with at least 3 years of ACC play under their belts.

They've got a 2011 McD's All American who won't even see the court this season.

They play for Duke; they're all pussies. That doesn't mean they can't rebound and block a few shots though.

Duke's frontcourt is the only reason that Duke is rated as high as they are. Definitely the strength of their team.

All 6'10" or taller with at least 3 years of ACC play under their belts.

They've got a 2011 McD's All American who won't even see the court this season.

They are a perimeter oriented team, man. The plumlee's are average posts, granted they are significantly better than anyone we have at the 5. They win games on the perimeter. They're ranked high because they return curry and Dawkins and brought in rivers. That, coupled with the fact that Duke is written across the front of their jersies.

I must have forgotten that Ryan Kelly is the college version of dikembe mutombo.

Kelly gets overshadowed by Mason Plumlee. Kelly is good in the post, especially on the offensive end. He is a huge pussy though.

Mason averaging a double-double this season.

Kelly gets overshadowed by Mason Plumlee. Kelly is good in the post, especially on the offensive end. He is a huge pussy though.

Mason averaging a double-double this season.

Ehh. Kelly doesn't impress me. The plumlee's are good offensive rebounders. That's why masons averaging a double-double. If you limit their scoring opportunities to scoring with their back to the basket, you will eliminate their offensive game.

They are a perimeter oriented team, man. The plumlee's are average posts, granted they are significantly better than anyone we have at the 5. They win games on the perimeter. They're ranked high because they return curry and Dawkins and brought in rivers. That, coupled with the fact that Duke is written across the front of their jersies.

I see things in the opposite light. The onlt reason they're ranked so high is because of their frontcourt.

Miles Plumlee- Senior, 4 star recruit.
Ryan Kelly- Junior, 5 Star McD's AA
Mason Plumlee- Junior, 4 star McD's AA.

Josh Hairston- Soph 4 star and Marshall Plumlee- Freshman 4/5 star McD's AA will be buried on the bench.

Duke is deep, talented and experienced in the front court. They're a perimeter oriented team year in and year out, but from the games I've watched so far this season, K is more than happy to dump the ball to Plumlee or Kelly in the post and let them score.

Ehh. Kelly doesn't impress me. The plumlee's are good offensive rebounders. That's why masons averaging a double-double. If you limit their scoring opportunities to scoring with their back to the basket, you will eliminate their offensive game.

I actually had the same impression of Mason Plumlee last season, but I've noticed in the MSU and Davidson games that he's obviously worked on his back to the basket game over the summer. Got a decent drop step and right handed hook shot it seems.

VN Store

Back