Talks of Golden and the NBA

way to early to start talking about trae and the nba. 2 great games against crummy teams does not make a future nba star. now, if he keeps this up for the remainder of the season, then we can talk about it. i just wonder though, will the nba ever play again ? boy, tobias blew this year.

Chad Ford, from the above link

"Golden wasn't the most highly ranked prospect coming out of high school, but one of ESPNU's analysts, Reggie Rankin, compared him to a young Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson. NBA scouts usually don't go crazy for high volume, 6-foot-1 shooting guards, but multiple scouts told me they were impressed with him after watching Tennessee play. Can't wait to see him at the Maui Invitational next week."

To Golden's credit, he looks like a different player because of his dedication and commitment to conditioning/diet during the offseason. He dropped like 15+ pounds and looks a ton quicker and more explosive than he did last season. Also, his shot looks a lot smoother and more confident - especially from 3. It's really cool to see the offseason work pay off like it is for TG..

He's got excellent passing skills and can score from pretty much anywhere.. It wouldn't surprise me if he started getting some looks from the League. You never know!

While I'm sure Golden has improved, I'm going to go ahead and say, I think the biggest difference this year is he has been given a chance. He should have seen the court a lot more last year and for whatever reason he didn't. He has better PG instincts than anyone who played point last year and he didn't just pick those up overnight. With the talent we had last year, I think we would have been impressed with his play even more last year.

College Basketball Rumors - Rumor Central - NCAA - ESPN

Trae Golden averaged just 3.0 points per game as a freshman at Tennessee last season, seemingly as far away from the NBA as one could possibly be. One game into his sophomore season, and all that has changed.

Golden's huge season-opener (29 points, 9 assists, 6 rebounds, 5-for-9 3-pointers) garnered immediate attention, leaving many wanting to know more about this rising 6-foot-1 sophomore.

Here's our own Chad Ford with more on Golden:

After the first week of the season, Tennessee's Trae Golden (Top 100 Rank: 94) sits atop John Hollinger's college PER board on Tuesday, thanks to a 29-point (5 3-pointers), nine-assist, six-rebound game in an opening win against UNC Greensboro. Golden wasn't the most highly ranked prospect coming out of high school, but one of ESPNU's analysts, Reggie Rankin, compared him to a young Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson. NBA scouts usually don't go crazy for high volume, 6-foot-1 shooting guards, but multiple scouts told me they were impressed with him after watching Tennessee play. Can't wait to see him at the Maui Invitational next week.

NBA Draft - Anthony Davis shines, while Andre Drummond struggles - ESPN

way to early to start talking about trae and the nba. 2 great games against crummy teams does not make a future nba star. now, if he keeps this up for the remainder of the season, then we can talk about it. i just wonder though, will the nba ever play again ? boy, tobias blew this year.

No, Tobias didn't blow it. Had he returned to U.T. this season and sustained a bad injury, it would have possibly hurt his draft status or NBA career.
It is "Snotty Scotty" that blew it, not Tobias.
Now, had Pearl not messed up and Tobias & Scott were on this seasons team, then we would have been a team to contend with. But it is what it is now.

Now, had Pearl not messed up and Tobias & Scott were on this seasons team, then we would have been a team to contend with. But it is what it is now.

Really? You might be right but that would be the exact same team and coach from last year and to say they didn't live up to expectations is an understatement.

Golden was a top 30 national recruit on Rivals or Scout. He was a BIGTIME recruit and GA state player of the year averaging 29-30 points a game. Just b/c ESPN didn't list him as a top recruit doesn't mean squat.

Wait! There is an NBA? I wish it would never come back.

Blake-Griffin-dunk-animated.gif

I can't wait.

Anytime Golden seen the floor he looked scared. His minutes were probably on par for last year but he sure has made a huge improvement. Nice post and I'd be thrilled to see him go to the NBA. Maybe you can credit some of that to Martin??

Trae was actually one of the top 20guys when he was a Sophomore. He blew it up in some camps and summer leagues, and started getting a lot of talk. He then got passed up by a lot more athletic guys like Selby. He was the overall Georgia player of the year. He isn't a hot shot or freak athlete, but consistently scored and got his team involved Pretty obvious that something switched on for Trae during the off-season. He probably should have gotten more playing time last year. If you look at his assist, you see that he is a true scoring PG. Not as tall as CJ Watson, but similar in that both could distribute as easily as create their own shot. I have some ties to McKeachern H.S. in Powder Springs so I've been following Trae for a while and was very excited UT got him.

Golden was a top 30 national recruit on Rivals or Scout. He was a BIGTIME recruit and GA state player of the year averaging 29-30 points a game. Just b/c ESPN didn't list him as a top recruit doesn't mean squat.

63- Rivals.
89- Scout. (3 behind Jeremy Lamb)
94- ESPN
Seems like he was severely underrated.

He was top 10 when Rivals released their initial rankings for that class. He was committed to Ohio St. Other players developed and passed him in the rankings and he slipped with every update, but he was always well-regarded.

Last edited:
He is the best player on the team at this point. He was much better in ball distribution and assists last year, but got little opportunity to display his talent.

Chad Ford, from the above link

"Golden wasn't the most highly ranked prospect coming out of high school, but one of ESPNU's analysts, Reggie Rankin, compared him to a young Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson. NBA scouts usually don't go crazy for high volume, 6-foot-1 shooting guards, but multiple scouts told me they were impressed with him after watching Tennessee play. Can't wait to see him at the Maui Invitational next week."

Not a bad comparison. Vinnie could sure heat it up quick.

The season is going to be completely cancelled. I hate David Stern more than Lane Kiffin (well, not really but still...)

Golden looks like a completely different player this season. I have been to both games and he is impressive. Not just shooting the ball but running the offense and playing defense as well. He has enoguh upper body strength and quickness to get to the goal and his jump shot has improved 100%. If we can develop some sort of inside presence, we could be a pretty good team. Also, I was very impressed with Josh Richardson and Dwight Miller Wed. night against ULM. Both these guys can play.

VN Store

Back