Game Summary

LawVol13

1.) There were really no positives the first half. Dreadful performance. I think it can be attributed to heading to Maui tomorrow.

2.) Trae Golden continues to be phenomenal. 17 pts 11 assists. He's off to a great start.

3.) The second half defense was excellent and our overall play was really good.

4.) Jeronne Maymon also continues to play well. 11 pts 11 rebounds. He continues to show that he's going to be a key cog in our team this year.

5.) Skylar McBee played an excellent game tonight. He finished with 15 points on 5 threes, and he is noticeably better guarding the perimeter this year.

6.) Kenny Hall continues to really disappoint. I think he relegated himself to a bench role with his play. Taking weak shots, being weak with the ball, and committing numerous turnovers will do that to you every time.

7.) Josh Richardson looks like he can help us. He's athletic; he defends well, and he shows that he's got a little range on his jumper. He's solidly in the rotation.

8.) Dwight Miller, as I noted in my thread to ZJC, showed that he belongs in the rotation. He looked like Hakeem Olajuwon compared to Kenny Hall; granted, that says a lot more about Hall than Miller, but Miller played a very solid game.

9.) Solid second half adjustments by Coach Martin. More ball pressure and more defending the three point line helped us thoroughly dominate the second half.

10.) Now, we get to see what this team is made of. Here's to a safe trip to Maui and lots of good luck when they arrive.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 8 people
Miller played face up to the basket

Miller was aggressive

Miller made moves that took advantage of his height/weight advantage, Hall took low percentage fade aways

I am rooting for Kenny, but damn he is making it hard to believe in him right now

Miller was aggressive

Miller made moves that took advantage of his height/weight advantage, Hall took low percentage fade aways

I am rooting for Kenny, but damn he is making it hard to believe in him right now

He's gotta sit, hulk. Miller is better right now for whatever reason.

Thanks for the summary. I only caught parts of the 2nd half but Miller and Richardson are what stood out to me. We are going to be deeper than I thought with this team.

Biggest disappointment so far is Hall. Ultimately, we're going to need him at some point and he continues to frustrate. He's not playing with a lot of confidence right now. It's almost like he's playing half baked out there.

When CCM took over and said they would be well conditioned and play good D, i thought it was politician speak. We clearly were the better conditioned team tonight. Also, due to our conditioning, in the second half they made lazy passes and such that led to turnovers, which in turn led to points. Im starting to be a believer in CCM.....i know i know, we havent played anyone, and alot of people are going to ***** when we lose to the likes of Duke, Michigan, or Memphis, but face it, those teams are better than 90% of our conference opponents(or higher). Maui will show how well we do in adversity, but i wont 100% judge our team from it.

McRae will be this year's Hopson. Good some nights and frustrating as hell on others.

I am a little worried about McRae and CM clashing. I hope McRae will respond to the coaching he is going to get in a favorable way. From what I could tell he got benched tonight and our play immediately picked up. Let's hope that's a teachable moment.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I can totally see McRae dropping 25 on Duke in a loss.

Does the team look like they're coached any better? Not a bad version of And 1 or whatever they call that trash now a days?

Does the team look like they're coached any better? Not a bad version of And 1 or whatever they call that trash now a days?

Spacing is better and pg knows what he is doing. There wasn't a bunch of And1 type stuff.
Big men need a lot of help. Skylar and trae are the only guys who know how to make an entry pass and make it easier on the big man.
I also don't notice golden looking at coach for a play, and a good pg shouldn't have to. Watch coach K. They practice so the players know what to do during the game. I hope cm is similar. Pg was looking to the bench too much in last couple of years.

Spacing is better and pg knows what he is doing. There wasn't a bunch of And1 type stuff.
Big men need a lot of help. Skylar and trae are the only guys who know how to make an entry pass and make it easier on the big man.

Good point. Passing could use a little help.

Got to set in Section 105 tonight with my son. Great seats! I though Richardson had a great game! He played lights out in the Second half. McRae is going to have some good nights and some bad nights, this year. Golden was Golden again, and so was Maymon!

Did Washpun get in tonight? I didn't see him and I haven't looked at the box score. Looks like CCM has resurrected the McBee at Point experiment again. I thought it went much better tonight than it did last year. He did a good job at taking care of the ball and setting up the play. It wasn't a bad experiment at all. I think he will be the backup to Golden.

I think the first half was bad partly because CCM was looking at different rotations of players. At one point I think he had in McBee, Tatum, Richardson, Woolridge and Miller (who had a good game, btw). Seems like at another point he had in McBee and McRae Richardson, Woolridge and Miller. Those were to the two funky rotations I saw. In the second half, he mixed it up a little better between starters and Freshman. I think he is starting to pare down his 8 or 9 man rotation. Odd man out in my opinion is going to be Hall.

McBee had a good game, except he could not cover Brown (No. 55). Brown beat him on the drive whenever he wanted. He also had a really nice fade away jumper too! He was impressive, except for the 4 fouls he had in the first half. I noticed that when McBee and Brown matched up, it wasn't too long before CMM put Golden back in. Golden could keep up with him.

Last edited:
I also don't notice golden looking at coach for a play, and a good pg shouldn't have to. Watch coach K. They practice so the players know what to do during the game. I hope cm is similar. Pg was looking to the bench too much in last couple of years.

It was just the system, pl3. There was a playcall every time down the floor, so the PG had to look at the bench.

Here, they're just running a motion offense that is an actual continuous offense; thus, barring a set play being called, there is no reason to look to the coach for a play.

Will be interesting to see how Golden handles the full court pressure from Duke. Vols have to get easy buckets early.

Miller was aggressive

Kenny has not progressed one inch. I have not seen one athletic move out of him this year. I can't figure out if its mental or physical, he is a long way from getting minutes in this group, IMO.

1.) There were really no positives the first half. Dreadful performance. I think it can be attributed to heading to Maui tomorrow.

2.) Trae Golden continues to be phenomenal. 17 pts 11 assists. He's off to a great start.

3.) The second half defense was excellent and our overall play was really good.

4.) Jeronne Maymon also continues to play well. 11 pts 11 rebounds. He continues to show that he's going to be a key cog in our team this year.

5.) Skylar McBee played an excellent game tonight. He finished with 15 points on 5 threes, and he is noticeably better guarding the perimeter this year.

6.) Kenny Hall continues to really disappoint. I think he relegated himself to a bench role with his play. Taking weak shots, being weak with the ball, and committing numerous turnovers will do that to you every time.

7.) Josh Richardson looks like he can help us. He's athletic; he defends well, and he shows that he's got a little range on his jumper. He's solidly in the rotation.

8.) Dwight Miller, as I noted in my thread to ZJC, showed that he belongs in the rotation. He looked like Hakeem Olajuwon compared to Kenny Hall; granted, that says a lot more about Hall than Miller, but Miller played a very solid game.

9.) Solid second half adjustments by Coach Martin. More ball pressure and more defending the three point line helped us thoroughly dominate the second half.

10.) Now, we get to see what this team is made of. Here's to a safe trip to Maui and lots of good luck when they arrive.

Go Vols!

To add to point #4, I think this team's success will mirror the success of Jeronne Maymon. When he plays well, this team should play well barring unforeseen circumstances.

Miller played like we need Hall to play. Whomever decides they want the minutes at the 5 is who should play. Right now, that appears to be Miller. Not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water re: Hall, but maybe he needs to come off the bench for awhile and see if that change gets hum going.

McBee looks like he has finally turned the corner as a player. Defends better, shoots with more confidence, makes smarter plays with the ball, etc. The light just might have come on for him with the structure of CCM's offenseive scheme.

Josh Richardson is really athletic and will obviously help us. He can make plays offensively and had a decent stroke on his 3 he hit.

Golden is playing really at a whole different level and its exciting to see.

Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, I did not mean to give off the impression that I'm going. I wish I was, but I'm not. I just now read this thread, so it took a while to figure out why people were telling me to have a good time. I certainly wasn't trying to insinuate I was going although I definitely wish I was rather than studying for finals.

VN Store

Back