I Put Together a Little Preview of the Upcoming Schedule

Stacey Poole is leaving Kentucky. I guess everyone will think he is comming here now.

Agreed on your thoughts about the Maui Invitational, lawvol. I said this on another thread, but if we could get a win against a non-Chaminade team and finish sixth or higher, that would be a good attainable goal for this group, especially given we're the seventh-best team in this thing on paper. A seventh place finish and a victory over Chaminade wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would suggest that perhaps things will go a little bit slower than people have started hoping after the UNCG game. I still say this is a pretty good team by the end of the year, it just may not come together in time to save anything but an NIT berth.

Agreed on your thoughts about the Maui Invitational, lawvol. I said this on another thread, but if we could get a win against a non-Chaminade team and finish sixth or higher, that would be a good attainable goal for this group, especially given we're the seventh-best team in this thing on paper. A seventh place finish and a victory over Chaminade wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would suggest that perhaps things will go a little bit slower than people have started hoping after the UNCG game. I still say this is a pretty good team by the end of the year, it just may not come together in time to save anything but an NIT berth.

Agree 100%.

I think another realistic goal would be to win all the OOC games we SHOULD win. I doubt we'll be underdogs against Louisiana-Monroe, Oakland, CofC, APSU, Asheville, ESTU, and Citadel.

We are probably going to lose to Duke...

but you guys don't think we can beat Michigan or Memphis? Cause I think we can.

There are no words for how amazing it would be to beat Memphis twice in one year. Heck, even once is nice.

We have the talent to beat Michigan or Memphis. Maybe
Duke if we shoot 65%, but we have to man up in the paint to do this. Time will tell. GBO

I think duke has more ability to just positively fill it up. But I also haven't seen Memphis as much.

Might be ACC bias from me.

I think duke has more ability to just positively fill it up. But I also haven't seen Memphis as much.

Might be ACC bias from me.

I saw Memphis last Friday night when they played CBU. Im a student at CBU. What i can say about Memphis is that their talent is not matched by many teams. They are extremely versatile, athletic, can leap, and can kill you on the fast break. The only problem with them is that they play through many sloppy spurts and they can't do that against the big teams.

UT is a better team than UCLA and Chaminade. I've only watched the UNCG game, and frankly, you can't tell much about CCM and the Vols from that game, except he's going to grind it out and limit possessions.

I don't think UT matchs up well against the bigs of Duke. Golden may be the best back court player in that game, but someone else will have to step up the scoring or Duke can just throw a fresh Dawson, Curry or Rivers at Golden all night.

UT matches up better with Michigan. If UT can limit offensive rebounds for Michigan and capitalize on the glass at the other end, it's a winnable game. UT's defense will give the Michigan shooters fits, and most of the Vols probably have the Michigan game from March fresh in their minds. They'll know what to expect, but the same can't be said for Michigan with the coaching change at UT.

I'll save myself the grief of posting the Memphis-UT possible Maui matchup.

The SEC is going to be tough this year. A legit Final Four team in Kentucky, 3 more sweet sixteen teams in Bama, Florida and Vandy, and two or three sneaky tourney teams in Akry, Ole Miss and UGA. CCM is going to need to make hay in his OOC schedule to keep from having to sweep the SEC tourney for an appearance in March.

Nice read. If we lose to Duke, I'd be willing to bet we are playing Memphis. Beilein will eat Pastners lunch and an undisciplined team like that will get very frustrated in the 1-3-1. I didn't see that much good ball movement or set plays in the Belmont game. They relied on turning them over and scoring in fast breaks. I don't see Michigan turning it over like that and think they win this one.

UT is a better team than UCLA and Chaminade. I've only watched the UNCG game, and frankly, you can't tell much about CCM and the Vols from that game, except he's going to grind it out and limit possessions.

I don't think UT matchs up well against the bigs of Duke. Golden may be the best back court player in that game, but someone else will have to step up the scoring or Duke can just throw a fresh Dawson, Curry or Rivers at Golden all night.

UT matches up better with Michigan. If UT can limit offensive rebounds for Michigan and capitalize on the glass at the other end, it's a winnable game. UT's defense will give the Michigan shooters fits, and most of the Vols probably have the Michigan game from March fresh in their minds. They'll know what to expect, but the same can't be said for Michigan with the coaching change at UT.

I'll save myself the grief of posting the Memphis-UT possible Maui matchup.

The SEC is going to be tough this year. A legit Final Four team in Kentucky, 3 more sweet sixteen teams in Bama, Florida and Vandy, and two or three sneaky tourney teams in Akry, Ole Miss and UGA. CCM is going to need to make hay in his OOC schedule to keep from having to sweep the SEC tourney for an appearance in March.

If I was coach Martin, I'd rather play Memphis than Michigan. You all have good talent, but Michigan is extremely disciplined and well-coached and can shoot the lights out. Our matchup with you would be an easier win based on our style although neither game would be easy at all.

Nice read. If we lose to Duke, I'd be willing to bet we are playing Memphis. Beilein will eat Pastners lunch and an undisciplined team like that will get very frustrated in the 1-3-1. I didn't see that much good ball movement or set plays in the Belmont game. They relied on turning them over and scoring in fast breaks. I don't see Michigan turning it over like that and think they win this one.

I'll give the counter-point to that argument:

Michigan actually has less upperclassmen than Memphis, which not a lot of teams can claim. Memphis will actually be a more experienced team.

The 1-3-1 is not a good defense to play against the Tigers because of Joe Jackson's ability to penetrate and dish to the post or to an open shooter.

Michigan is also weak on the boards (the 1-3-1 is mostly to blame), which was the glaring hole in Memphis' game vs. Belmont. Also, Beilein (sp?) basically utilized a 6-7 man rotation last year. If Memphis starts to force TOs like they did against a very experienced and disciplined team in Belmont, Michigan will get gassed. Memphis may be the most well conditioned team in the Nation this year, and will have too many weapons for Michigan to match up with.

I'll give the counter-point to that argument:

Michigan actually has less upperclassmen than Memphis, which not a lot of teams can claim. Memphis will actually be a more experienced team.

The 1-3-1 is not a good defense to play against the Tigers because of Joe Jackson's ability to penetrate and dish to the post or to an open shooter.

Michigan is also weak on the boards (the 1-3-1 is mostly to blame), which was the glaring hole in Memphis' game vs. Belmont. Also, Beilein (sp?) basically utilized a 6-7 man rotation last year. If Memphis starts to force TOs like they did against a very experienced and disciplined team in Belmont, Michigan will get gassed. Memphis may be the most well conditioned team in the Nation this year, and will have too many weapons for Michigan to match up with.

I'd be willing to bet that Memphis would really, really struggle against the 1-3-1. Your all's beatin michigan would revolve around killing them on the offensive glass and getting out in transition. If its a halfcourt game, you all will lose.

I'd be willing to bet that Memphis would really, really struggle against the 1-3-1. Your all's beatin michigan would revolve around killing them on the offensive glass and getting out in transition. If its a halfcourt game, you all will lose.

Id be more worried about a team that plays a strict 2-3. Memphis has 6 legit threats to knock down the deep ball, and the 1-3-1 leaves holes all over the place.

Michigan's offense looks downright bad at this point, and even though they play slow down ball, they've committed an average of 12 TOs against REALLY bad teams.

In a matchup of Memphis' offense and Michigan's defense, Memphis has the edge. Michigan can minimize that edge by playing a half-court game, granted.

VN Store

Back