Get Excited About This Team

tennesseefan31

I really think we may have an outstanding year. We have the athleticism and length to be an insanely good defensive team. We have wings who look like they can fill it up on any given night.

But the biggest reason I think we may have a chance at winning 20-25 games is Trae Golden. Yes I know it was a no name opponent. But it wasn't the numbers that impressed me. It was the way he got the numbers. If he can keep playing at a high level watch out. Do not underestimate the effect a star point guard can have on a team.

It would be great if they had a good year

I think you are close in your assessment. I have felt all along that Trae Golden or the PG position would ultimately determine if the Vols would struggle or surprise. And right now Trae Golden may be the most improved player in the entire league. Go Vols!

I'll wait until Maui's done to change my .500 prediction. We haven't played a team of note yet. If we play well against Duke and Michigan/Memphis then I think I'll change it up some.

Maybe they will do as th 98 football team did. No one expected much , for sure not a n/c but look what happened.

How about waiting until we play someone before we start making national championship comparisons.

I'll wait until Maui's done to change my .500 prediction. We haven't played a team of note yet. If we play well against Duke and Michigan/Memphis then I think I'll change it up some.

If we can get play Duke close, and maybe steal a win in the second game (Michigan or Memphis, I think we can beat both), then I'll gladly take it.

I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by how well we played. I try not to pay attention to the exhibition games, as they're meaningless in almost every way from a fan's perspective, but I really didn't know what to expect going into the UNCG game. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm optimistic that we won't be a complete disaster, although all of this NCAA Tournament and 20-win season talk is waaaay premature. Our schedule is way too tough to be talking like that now.

I think a good goal would be to win a non-Chaminade game in Maui. That would mean either beating Duke or beating the Michigan-Memphis loser. We're not gonna really compete for the tournament title right now, but if we can win at least one real game there and finish sixth or better in a tournament as stacked as that (where on paper we're probably the seventh-best team), that will go a long way toward sustaining my guarded optimism.

I do think this team will actually be pretty good by the end of the year. I just fear that, given the schedule, it'll be too late to salvage anything but an NIT slot (which would be another decent achievable goal for this team BTW).

While it does appear we might have a few more pieces to the puzzle than we originally thought, I wouldn't base too much on the Greensboro game. They just lost by 40 at Georgetown. LMU is the best team we have played so far.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It's obvious these guys seem more relaxed and confident under CCM. I think lasyt year was very hard on the players, too many distractions. Wish we still had Tobias. Easily an NCAA team if we did. Still may get there if we get some improved play from Tatum and Hall to go with Golden and Maymon.

It's obvious these guys seem more relaxed and confident under CCM. I think lasyt year was very hard on the players, too many distractions. Wish we still had Tobias. Easily an NCAA team if we did. Still may get there if we get some improved play from Tatum and Hall to go with Golden and Maymon.

I agree. Hall has to step up or we'll have to hope that Miller or Makanjuola are miracle workers.

Maybe they will do as th 98 football team did. No one expected much , for sure not a n/c but look what happened.

It's true that no one expected a championship, but they were preseason top ten. A championship from this team is 100 times more unlikely.

Last edited:
It's one game people. Let's not overreact, though we seem to do that a lot around here.

I really think we may have an outstanding year. We have the athleticism and length to be an insanely good defensive team. We have wings who look like they can fill it up on any given night.

But the biggest reason I think we may have a chance at winning 20-25 games is Trae Golden. Yes I know it was a no name opponent. But it wasn't the numbers that impressed me. It was the way he got the numbers. If he can keep playing at a high level watch out. Do not underestimate the effect a star point guard can have on a team.

We had a good opening game at TBA, against UNC-G, and Trae played extremely well. I expect big things from him this season as well as McRae. I also look for some production from Kenny Hall. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Pump the brakes a little.

I am hopefull too but if we finish.500 in the SEC, that will be a very succeessful season. Let's not get starry eyed over a bashing of UNCG.

If fans continue to see the effort and hustle we've seen in the first three games (2 exhibition) then they will appreciate and support them.

As much as I loved Pearl it seemed our intensity and drive really waned after his 2nd year. It returned some after the New Years Day gun incident and Tyler being kicked off but other than that for the most part we looked sloppy, unorganized and lazy after the first two years. Even after we got to #1 after beating Memphis we didn't look like we played with the same passion we had before.

VN Store

Back