Dooley or Martin

omghulkhands

Who came in under a worse Situation in terms of talent left on the table in your opinion, Dooley or Martin? The Kiffin disaster was unreal and hard to recoup from recruiting wise while Martin is coming in with only one returning starter in Cam and he struggled mightly last year.

I'd have to say Dooley only because it takes a lot longer to rebuild a football roster. Both were horrible though.

Reactions: 1 person
IMO it's hard to compare, because a b'ball program can be rebuilt much more quickly than a football program.

(It can be destroyed more quickly, too.)

Are we talking about the first-year teams for both, or the prospects for the programs?

Dooley. Besides, it was just the Kiffin disaster that CDD is having to recoup from. The relative talent pools in basketball are also much more widely spread than they are in football, so I'd say it'll be much easier for Martin to recover than Dooley.

Kiffin then DOOLEY because it goes back to FULMER LAST 3 YEARS of lost recruiting…1 ¼ yrs. of Kiffin turn over…then DOOLEY coming in 2 weeks before signing deadline…we should be happy with where DOOLEY is with the recruiting…having to recruit 33 good players to start 33 good Backups…compared to 7 good players…4 good backups for basketball

Dooley only because of the time it takes to build a football roster and the parity of SEC football.

Martin, because he's replacing Bruce Pearl.

Derek Dooley had to replace Lane Kiffin. Not that hard.

Martin, primarily because Pearl was a bad recruiter anyway.

Which also hurts Martin, because Pearl took those kids to some pretty damn good places.

I hate to say it, but if the basketball program starts heading south in a hurry, people will be much less patient.

Kiffin then DOOLEY because it goes back to FULMER LAST 3 YEARS of lost recruiting…1 ¼ yrs. of Kiffin turn over…then DOOLEY coming in 2 weeks before signing deadline…we should be happy with where DOOLEY is with the recruiting…having to recruit 33 good players to start 33 good Backups…compared to 7 good players…4 good backups for basketball
no.. just no. Why is it people hate someone so much they want to blame everything on them and shoehorn them out of context into conversations?

Yes Phil had us in not so good shape but Kiffin Left CDD in a way worse situation than CPF left him in. UT had 2 of the top 10 worst recruiting classes of the last decade (actually number 1 and number 4) Kiffins class was rated number 1 worst class and he directly contributed to Fulmers bad class by booting/chasing off players from that class.

History will show the Kiffin was probably the worst hire in UT history. His antics and actions brought a lot of unwanted scrutiny from the AA and not sure about timelines but who knows if the Pearl Debacle even happens without ole loudmouth getting their hackles up.

Talent wise it has to be Dooley IMO. But situation as a whole I tend to feel more sympathy for CCM. Not only has he had to deal with the talent but his predecessor is still in town and a fan favorite still. I just hope if he hits some hard times people don't sending out APB's for Pearl again.

I think Martin's motion offense will take a year or two to get going. It needs a point guard with a high IQ. If he can show the fans he can recruit on a major D1 level then he'll get this thing turned around within two years. Dooley came into a situation much different, but fans look back at last season with two losses that should have been wins (LSU & UNC). This year the team has been snake bit by key injuries and JJ's dismissal. Progress thus far has seemed to have gone the other direction. A more interesting question would be the percentage of the fan's confidence in Dooley to turn this around.

Martin, primarily because Pearl was a bad recruiter anyway.

Pearl was a bad recruiter, Pearl couldn't in game coach,
Pearl had displine problems, Pearl broke the rules, Pearl
couldn't do anything. Oh wait? The only thing he could do was win.

Pearl was a bad recruiter, Pearl couldn't in game coach,
Pearl had displine problems, Pearl broke the rules, Pearl
couldn't do anything. Oh wait? The only thing he could do was win.

And get removed from his profession for three years and put our basketball program in the limelight all last season due to his unethical behavior. Great example of a great coach who represented our university so well and got us lots of national attention. Unfortunately, it was negative and remains negative. I clearly understand how you Pearl lovers dismiss all the negatives he brought because he is obviously the only coach in america that can win.

Reactions: 1 person
And get removed from his profession for three years and put our basketball program in the limelight all last season due to his unethical behavior. Great example of a great coach who represented our university so well and got us lots of national attention. Unfortunately, it was negative and remains negative. I clearly understand how you Pearl lovers dismiss all the negatives he brought because he is obviously the only coach in america that can win.

Thats not true and if you would put away your hatred for
just a minute you would see that most fans care little
about the man on a personal level. He made us realize
that Tennessee can compete in basketball on a national
level and if you are a follower of Tennessee basketball you will know that we haven't done that in the past. We
started to knock off the Big Boys and were ranked #1 for the first time in our history. If Martin can win you will
see attitudes change toward him. I hope with all my heart that CCM makes us all forget about Pearl except to remember that he got us started. We just don't know
right now. GBO

When I saw the title I thought it might be asking which was more qualified to coach in the SEC.

Do you know we are the only SEC school with head coaches who have never won a bowl or an NCAA tournament game?

Awesome.

When I saw the title I thought it might be asking which was more qualified to coach in the SEC.

Do you know we are the only SEC school with head coaches who have never won a bowl or an NCAA tournament game?

Awesome.

Sad, but, lets see.

Awesome.

Not that it matters much, but Dooley has an Independence Bowl win... :)

VN Store

Back