Practice starts tomorrow...

I look forward to practice and the beginning of the season. I'm behind Coach Martin 100% and look forward to the upcoming season. Interesting, that he talks about transition basketball and wanting to be able to run his motion offense 20% of the time, rather than 80% of the time. Guess we can still look for games in the 50's with that kind of talk.

For all we know Martin just might surprise alot of us this year.Nobody thought Pearl was going to do anything his first year with less talent than Martin has.I know we had Lofton and Smith,we knew Lofton was a shooter but we had no ideal Smith was going to turn out like he did.At least I didnt.

I cannot freakin' wait! It may be a tough year as far as wins, but you better believe we'll see a tougher team to deal with it.

Looking forward to seeing a competent, disciplined half-court offense this year. Go Vols!

I've already requested off for work so I can do the ESPN 24 hour thing. Nothing better than watching two teams you never heard of at 4 o'clock in the morning, so pumped up because its the only shot they'll probably ever get to play on national tv.

I don't care about the wins and loses. I'm looking forward to seeing this new offense, how Martin coaches, and how the players respond. It's excited!

I've already requested off for work so I can do the ESPN 24 hour thing. Nothing better than watching two teams you never heard of at 4 o'clock in the morning, so pumped up because its the only shot they'll probably ever get to play on national tv.

I don't care about the wins and loses. I'm looking forward to seeing this new offense, how Martin coaches, and how the players respond. It's excited!

I can't say I don't care about the wins. I believe like
Lombardi in that "winning isn't everything, its the only thing".

I am pumped, I always love basketball season regardless of how good we are. I am excited to see all the new guys and if players like McRae and Maymon can flourish in new roles.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Did anyone get out to practice? I went to the baseball scrimmage and the pep rally, everything was scheduled for around 5 so it was tough to be everywhere. Any info would be great! GBO!

Did anyone get out to practice? I went to the baseball scrimmage and the pep rally, everything was scheduled for around 5 so it was tough to be everywhere. Any info would be great! GBO!

Good opening practice for the Vols. Lots of bodies flying, heavy emphasis on defense and very intense. Of the freshman Wes Washpun really stood out simply with his defensive pressure on the ball, impressed the staff from that perspective.

The team did a lot of scrimmage work and offensive baskets were hard to come by. Defense dominated and hat seemed to please Martin.

The players wore the 10-pound weight vests at the beginning of practice and worked in them for a good bit.

there were approximately 200-300 fans in attendance.

from Rob Lewis

And Vol Report - Tennessee Basketball - First Practice - YouTube

Golden looked much more aggressive in the practice, Woolridge practiced with the bigs in position drills. Cam Tatum and Jordan Mcrae seemed to be mroe vocal than I expected. Josh Richardson and Wes Washpun really impressed me. So did walk on Brandon Lopez. Washpun is quick, just needs to get better at finishing. He is already my favorite freshman. His defense is crazy. The team overall shot pretty well from outside, but Coach Martin had his shot falling. Made at least 5 shots from outside the arc while trying to get the team to practice rebounds.

Golden looked much more aggressive in the practice, Woolridge practiced with the bigs in position drills. Cam Tatum and Jordan Mcrae seemed to be mroe vocal than I expected. Josh Richardson and Wes Washpun really impressed me. So did walk on Brandon Lopez. Washpun is quick, just needs to get better at finishing. He is already my favorite freshman. His defense is crazy. The team overall shot pretty well from outside, but Coach Martin had his shot falling. Made at least 5 shots from outside the arc while trying to get the team to practice rebounds.

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Did you notice if Kenny had bulked up any? Looked like it watching video. Also, did you happen to notice Maymon shoot a freethrow and did it at least come close to going in lol?

"Look better" or score more points?

Last time I checked they don't award style points on the box score.

A disciplined motion offense will be much, much better than the Junior pro level half-court crap we were doing last year. Martin will control tempo and we'll be much more efficient and turn the ball over less. While that might not equal tons more points, it will keep us in a lot of games and give us a chance to win.

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Did you notice if Kenny had bulked up any? Looked like it watching video. Also, did you happen to notice Maymon shoot a freethrow and did it at least come close to going in lol?

Maymon shooting FT's makes me nauseous.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back