Memphis Rivals Writer on Stokes' Visit to UT

LawVol13

But perhaps the most surprising visit was to Tennessee. Stokes was very impressed with head coach Cuonzo Martin and his staff. He liked the situation so much that he feels his Tennessee visit will make it harder to make an ultimate decision about which university he will attend.

Sounds good to me.

Love Cuonzo and I hope we get Stokes, but the kid talks up every place he visits.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Whether we get this guy or not, one thing is for sure. When Martin starts to get some on-court success here, recruiting is going to be unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 person
Whether we get this guy or not, one thing is for sure. When Martin starts to get some on-court success here, recruiting is going to be unbelievable.

Nope. If you don't get in the middle of the students and shout, "WE'RE GONNA KICK (fill in opponent's name)'S ASS!!!" and paint your chest orange at Lady Vols games, you can't win at UT.

Nope. If you don't get in the middle of the students and shout, "WE'RE GONNA KICK (fill in opponent's name)'S ASS!!!" and paint your chest orange at Lady Vols games, you can't win at UT.

But you love Kiffin, who had coaches rip off their shirts and yell "Wild Boys" in front of recruits? Interesting. And what does this have to do with anything? This is Martin's team, and we will ultimately see how good of a recruiter and coach he will be. I think he is going to be very good for this university just like I thought Pearl would bring the winning to the program when he got here. Ultimately, results are the deciding factor.

Last edited:
But you love Kiffin, who had coaches rip off their shirts and yell "Wild Boys" in front of recruits? Interesting.

I don't think he was saying that it can't be effective. Just stating it isn't the only way to get things done. I think we all enjoyed Bruce's enthusiasm and Kiffin's swag. Way to miss the point.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think he was saying that it can't be effective. Just stating it isn't the only way to get things done. I think we all enjoyed Bruce's enthusiasm and Kiffin's swag. Way to miss the point.

What he stated was moronic. I challenge you to find me anyone who has ever said that Bruce won here because he did stunts like that. He won here because he had a good system (a system that fit better with players when he first got here rather than later on in his tenure) not because of publicity stunts. If Cuonzo wins here, it is because of a system not because he goes and stands up and yells in the Student Center. It's not rocket science.

And to the other point on missing the point. His boy had many fans convinced that TN couldn't recruit unless he did stunts like call out Florida, chant Wild Boys and rip shirts off, etc... So, it's the same.

Last edited:
I don't have that kind of time, but this is Volnation - everything has been said at one point.

Haha. How does a thread on Jarnell Stokes' recruiting visit turn into a Kiffin-Pearl debate less than 10 posts in? Must be the offseason.

Reactions: 3 people
My apologies for taking this off topic. Back to Stokes, kid is a baller, and I would flip out if he wears orange!

Haha. How does a thread on Jarnell Stokes' recruiting visit turn into a Kiffin-Pearl debate less than 10 posts in? Must be the offseason.

Haha. I still feel like we have a great shot with Stokes. Building a relationship with Cuonzo on top of his connections to UT.

Haha. I still feel like we have a great shot with Stokes. Building a relationship with Cuonzo on top of his connections to UT.

I initially thought there was no shot. I'm still not getting my hopes up, but you never know.

I initially thought there was no shot. I'm still not getting my hopes up, but you never know.

Pretty much my feelings. Honestly, I would put my money on him going somewhere else, but it feels like the race between us, Memphis, and Arkansas is as close as ever. Could be delusional though...

Edit: As close as it has been post-Pearl-firing.

Last edited:

Agreed - I love UT basketball, but until we see something on the court this guy is going to have a hard time getting top notch talent. I do like what I have seen from him so far but we have a long way to go.

i can honestly say i'm very excited about this season. i haven't been the excited since bruce's 3rd and 4th seasons. martin is going to be a good hire,imo.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Would love to see him in orange, but really think that this just makes it harder for him to turn us down, which he'll do anyway. I think he wants to play for an immediate winner, not have to build one from scratch. I think Memphis has this one.

but really think that this just makes it harder for him to turn us down, which he'll do anyway.

Yes, if someone says a (good) visit makes a decision harder doesn't that mean that he wasn't/isn't planning on going there?

Memphis is loaded and Arkansas won't be far from it. I could see him coming to UT because he knows he can play early, have a great following, and coach that appears to want success. The guy is good enough to be in the league and Martin comes off like a really hard worker so its a win/win situation for him.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Would love to see him in orange, but really think that this just makes it harder for him to turn us down, which he'll do anyway. I think he wants to play for an immediate winner, not have to build one from scratch. I think Memphis has this one.

This isn't football. You can go from irrelevant to contender with one class and a couple players. Immediate winner can be immediate for mercer if they get the right guys.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back