My thoughts on Cuonzo Martin

Chris4Vols22

GBO or GTFO
As many of you already know, I am a fan of coach Martin. As of right now, I think he has a lot more going for him than most give him credit for. He's relatively young (for a coach) and has NCAA & NBA playing experience. I think this alone gives his players and recruits a sense of relatability, which is great for building relationships. Many players and recruits have lauded his personality and demeanor, which only strengthens his reputation. You can tell that he has clear goals and expectations for his team and an emphasis on defense. I think we will see an improvement of in-game coaching. I have faith in his recruiting since he's very experienced in the Big 10. Of course, we will need some wins to get the recruits to buy into the program. It's absurd to say that he's not going to recruit the big-time names - no reason to worry or judge at this point, but there will be a time for that in a year or two. All in all, I think one can make a better argument for Martin being successful at UT. I really think he's in a good situation here at UT ( minus Pearl's mess, of course), and it seems he has a good set up to be the coach for many years as long as he doesn't underachieve.

I'm not going to tell you what you can and cannot say, but I politely ask the hardcore Pearl fans to not mudsling in this thread. Likewise, please don't respond to any mudslinging.

*please excuse any spelling errors - no spell check for some reason.

I'll keep my "we'll see" attitude until I see him in games. I'd be lying if I told you I watched any Missouri State games (besides the PNIT game) or even knew who Martin was until he was announced. I've never liked Painter, Purdue or Big 10 basketball (minus Izzo) but all I know is they seem to be disciplined and it's extremely boring. As for Martin, he certainly has my respect and support. Taking over this, what seemed like at the time, giant mess of a program with what Pearl & Co did. I thought he jumped the gun on some of these average recruits but that's why he gets paid the big bucks and I'm just a fan.

I'm sure his style won't be nearly as excited as Pearls but I pray (and yes, God and I speak about this) that we make a couple of final fours and MAYBE even win a national championship before I die!!!! :rock:

The excitement level of his coaching style is the least of my worries. It's a great trade-off for more discipline and less mistakes.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The excitement level of his coaching style is the least of my worries. It's a great trade-off for more discipline and less mistakes.

Exactly. Anything will be better than the abortion (calling it an offense is really an insult to the game of basketball) we had last season.

Last edited:
Cuonzo may be too laid back for his own good. It takes dynamic style and recruiting ability to keep pace with the top tier of the SEC. I'm tired of reading about Crapilari raking in all the hotshot recruits.

Cuonzo may be too laid back for his own good. It takes dynamic style and recruiting ability to keep pace with the top tier of the SEC. I'm tired of reading about Crapilari raking in all the hotshot recruits.

Martin needs to land some of these guys visiting this weekend. I think Martin is a good coach, but I don't know about his recruiting. Crapilari is a used car salesman, a good one with connections.

I hate Calipari as much as any Vol fan, but it's pretty hard to say he's nothing special with the way he pumps elite college players into the NBA.

I hate Calipari as much as any Vol fan, but it's pretty hard to say he's nothing special with the way he pumps elite college players into the NBA.

Those players would go straight to the NBA, if not for the one and none rule. Not sure how much coaching they're getting. JMO

No mud slinging here, but I fear UTBB will be middle of the road for years to come. Coach Martin may be great, but is he any better than coaches at GA, ALA, MSt, USCe, Aub, Ark?
I don't know, but time will tell. I sure will be pulling for him.:clapping:

Too bad this is pure speculation.

I mean, we know we don't have the excitement. The lack of mistakes and more discipline is purely your imagination as of now.

Too bad this is pure speculation.

I mean, we know we don't have the excitement. The lack of mistakes and more discipline is purely your imagination as of now.

Exactly. It's not as if you can actually watch the teams he's previously coached to see if they were disciplined. He's just simply pulling that out of his ass.

Exactly. It's not as if you can actually watch the teams he's previously coached to see if they were disciplined. He's just simply pulling that out of his ass.

Yes, because looking at an entirely different roster of players, and how they buy into CCM coaching style, lets you know with 100% certainty whats going to happen here. Especially after they suck this year.

Having followed John for some time and spent a little time around him I have to agree with the sentiment of some....Its REALLY hard to believe he hasnt won SOMETHING with all the talent (maybe the most talent assembled on one team in the SEC) thats slipped thru his hands...

Yes, because looking at an entirely different roster of players, and how they buy into CCM coaching style, lets you know with 100% certainty whats going to happen here. Especially after they suck this year.

No, but it tells you that he stresses defense and discipline, which was exactly the OP's point. We all know you have a strange love for Pearl, but try getting a grip.

No, but it tells you that he stresses defense and discipline, which was exactly the OP's point. We all know you have a strange love for Pearl, but try getting a grip.

Yea, sure.

It's all speculation.

"I have faith in his recruiting." (This would be laughable if it wasn't so sad)

Again. It's your imagination. He hasn't coached a damn game yet.

He stresses less mistakes? Sweet, who in the hell doesn't?

Yea, sure.

It's all speculation.

"I have faith in his recruiting." (This would be laughable if it wasn't so sad)

Again. It's your imagination. He hasn't coached a damn game yet.

He stresses less mistakes? Sweet, who in the hell doesn't?

Pearl, for starters.

VN Store

Back