Former Pearl Assistants struggling (split)

The most telling part of that article:

When an NCAA investigator pulled the picture from a file and laid it in front of Forbes, he couldn't sacrifice himself for the greater good because it wasn't him, his recruit or his home in the picture. It was Pearl, Pearl's recruit and Pearl's home. So Forbes had two options -- one of which was to identify the people in the picture and mention the cookout at Pearl's home. But everybody knows what happens to men who roll on their bosses like that.

"You do that in this business and you're done," Forbes said. "Blackballed. You're not loyal."

"You're selling cars," Shay added.

And you wonder why people lie in every single business? That's usually why. Because they know they'll be fried if they don't.

And that goes to show you how ethical Pearl really is. Nothing that I learned about the details of the situation have changed my opinion that Pearl is slime; and, if anyone had lingering doubts to his being slime, that article should answer them.

How does that change anything? Poor Jana Shay is mad because Bruce is taking more vacations than her and her husband? Good Lord. He made just a tad bit more honey. He was the head coach. Your husband was the asst coach. Of course there are going to be hard feelings.

The Shays and Forbes probably bought houses that they couldn't afford if one spouse lost their job like most people and now can't get rid of them in this economy. Welcome to the real world where millions of people are in the same boat. I can understand their bitterness, but did they actually think Pearl would give them a handout? Everyone's stupidity caused this. Ultimately, Pearl could've stepped in and set the record straight, but then Jones, Forbes or Shay would've still lost their job or all three of them would have lost their job and been the fall guys. Either way, they were screwed.

Split this off into its own topic. The article linked in the OP is particularly poignant and I didn't want it to get buried.

And that goes to show you how ethical Pearl really is. Nothing that I learned about the details of the situation have changed my opinion that Pearl is slime; and, if anyone had lingering doubts to his being slime, that article should answer them.

I agree that Pearl's not the best moral guy out there, but in this situation what was he supposed to do after they all got fired?? It sounds like he wasn't helping them out much, but I'm not sure if he could have, unless he could have found them some better jobs.........

I agree that Pearl's not the best moral guy out there, but in this situation what was he supposed to do after they all got fired?? It sounds like he wasn't helping them out much, but I'm not sure if he could have, unless he could have found them some better jobs.........

Possibly help them a little bit financially instead of going on 6 vacations? Just a thought.

Maybe they were hinting for him to take them on vacation with him next time?

I'd say they were hinting at him possibly helping them out, so they're not living in shacks. That would seem like the least Pearl could do.

I swear I just saw Forbes starring in a Sally Strothers infommercial. Times are tough on $.70 a day!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'd say they were hinting at him possibly helping them out, so they're not living in shacks. That would seem like the least Pearl could do.

I don't think they're living in shacks. Are they living in something that they never thought they would be just a year ago? Sure. I can understand their bitterness. They were living a great life and it got turned upside down. However, there are countless others in America in that same situation. What they do have is their health. What they do with the rest of their life is up to them and their desire.

What is not reported is that they were probably living beyond their means too. Any coach in their right mind knows that their job is very temporary. I would've been banking money in case I got fired and that gravy train came to a screeching halt.

I don't think they're living in shacks. Are they living in something that they never thought they would be just a year ago? Sure. I can understand their bitterness. They were living a great life and it got turned upside down. However, there are countless others in America in that same situation. What they do have is their health. What they do with the rest of their life is up to them and their desire.

What is not reported is that they were probably living beyond their means too. Any coach in their right mind knows that their job is very temporary. I would've been banking money in case I got fired and that gravy train came to a screeching halt.

Going from $150,000 to $20,000 is a huge, huge hit. Also, considering his wife is a teacher, the Shays are barely scraping by. I don't blame them at all for hating Pearl.

Going from $150,000 to $20,000 is a huge, huge hit. Also, considering his wife is a teacher, the Shays are barely scraping by. I don't blame them at all for hating Pearl.

Sure it's a huge hit, but if you're a coach, and you know that a coach's job is a rollercoaster, you bank a lot of your money. It appears that the Shays and the Forbes didn't. Again, people tend to live beyond their means. That is why this country is in the shape it is in now.

Assuming Shay's wife is making at least 25-30K, they are making what a number of American couples are making. Again, they have their health so it could be a helluva lot worse. Once they get over their pity party and the one year show cause then maybe he can find a better job.

No, but Shay also should have known who he was dealing with. Obviously a job is a job, but working for someone like Pearl can lead to what Jason is going through. That being said, I have about 6,000 times more respect for Shay than Jones or Forbes. I hope he lands back on his feet.

Moral of the story is... Make a nest egg, don't live beyond your means, don't trust Pearl, and don't depend on a higher level coaching job...

If I didn't have kids, the wife and me could live on 20K a year, 30K no problem.

Sensationalism and hyperbole at it's finest. Living in shacks? Please. Welcome to the world 99% of Americans live in today; the world where financial struggle is a part of life.

Sensationalism and hyperbole at it's finest. Living in shacks? Please. Welcome to the world 99% of Americans live in today; the world where financial struggle is a part of life.

Shay's really struggling. Forbes' making it. But, I feel really sorry for Shay. And Shay's living in an 800 square foot apartment. Not exactly a mansion.

Maybe they should have thought about those ramifications when those recruits and their families showed up at the cookout. Speak up instead of being a "yes man". They were there. They saw what went on. They are as much to blame from the very beginning as Pearl. Speak up then and maybe two years later, you aren't left with the decision to lie to the NCAA or throw your boss to the wolves.

Shay's really struggling. Forbes' making it. But, I feel really sorry for Shay. And Shay's living in an 800 square foot apartment. Not exactly a mansion.

Well perhaps he should parlay that college education into a job that pays more than $20,000 a year. Managers at Wal-mart make twice that. Put your pride away and make a better life if that's what it takes. I know too many people with tougher choices in life and far fewer options than these guys. If he is dead set on coaching, then he will have to start over and he is as much to blame for that as anyone. If its about money and surviving, then do what you have to do, which might mean giving up his dream of coaching. People's dreams are dashed everyday at the expense of doing what it takes to make ends meet.

*Cuon-zo-Mar-tin clap-clap-clapclapclap.

Not trying to detract from the debates, but I just wanted to voice my support for UT basketball. The season is starting to get close!

VN Store

Back