Details on Pearl Saga

LawVol13

From people close to the NCAA investigation, there were a few surprising revelations that I heard. I'll summarize for you guys:

1) NCAA had no idea that the infamous picture was taken at Pearl's house until Pearl himself informed them of his lie about it.

2) Pearl lied after being approached by his assistants, who both shared their testimony with Pearl.

3) Based on that information, Pearl lied to corroborate their stories.

4) Had Pearl not gone to the NCAA, he would still have his job, and there would have been no investigation.

As an outspoken critic of Pearl, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong on my assumptions of what went down. I feel somewhat sorry for Pearl because of the position he was put in, but the moral of the story is: don't lie to the NCAA.

Then, how did they get the picture? I figured whoever sent the picture told them where it was taken.

This actually makes a lot more sense as far as Jones being so mad at UT. Jones said UT reps told him to answer questions only if 100% sure, which he said he did.

Jones probably when asked if he knew where this picture was taken said "No I'm not sure where that picture was taken, sir." (so maybe he didn't recognize Pearl's kitchen, haha)

Then Pearl lied and said the same thing. Then Pearl got nervous, bc/ he told the kids and parents to lie, and they probably brushed him off, so Pearl thought they would rat him out. (which they might have done if questioned)

So, Pearl spilled the beans to the NCAA, and they basically said "thank you, sir." and then canned his azz....

All Pearl had to do was to say "it was in my kitchen, sir", and then UT gets a secondary or 2, and Jonesy gets a slap on the wrist, for not recognizing Pearl's kitchen......:eek:lol:

From people close to the NCAA investigation, there were a few surprising revelations that I heard. I'll summarize for you guys:

1) NCAA had no idea that the infamous picture was taken at Pearl's house until Pearl himself informed them of his lie about it.

2) Pearl lied after being approached by his assistants, who both shared their testimony with Pearl.

4) Had Pearl not gone to the NCAA, he would still have his job, and there would have been no investigation.

As an outspoken critic of Pearl, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong on my assumptions of what went down. I feel somewhat sorry for Pearl because of the position he was put in, but the moral of the story is: don't lie to the NCAA.

If true, it paints Pearl's character in a different light.

Your most impressive post. Respect.

I still don't feel sorry for Pearl. He had a past history of infractions and unethical recruiting troubles.

I still don't feel sorry for Pearl. He had a past history of infractions and unethical recruiting troubles.

I don't think he's a good guy or anything, but it was a tough position he was put in. And it would have been tough for an ethical person. With that said, his being unethical made it a much easier decision just to lie.

Lying to the ncaa is like lying to La Cosa Nostra. Bruce is no more unethical than the typical ncaa coach. We all know the usual suspects who continue to lie or cheat, yet never get punished for it. It was just Bruce's misfortune that Mark Emmert chose him to be his whipping boy, more because Bruce was a convenient target than because of any gross violation. But, on the bright side, Bruce will back. And he'll be back with a vengeance.

Tough spot, but still. You can't lie under that situation.

As an outspoken critic of Pearl, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong on my assumptions of what went down. I feel somewhat sorry for Pearl because of the position he was put in, but the moral of the story is: don't lie to the NCAA.[/QUOTE]

This information came out weeks ago and as someone who bantered with you and others who were bashing Pearl, it's nice to see that you have repented somewhat. Make no mistake, Pearl caused this and could have easily remied the situation and probably still be the coach at UT. It was dissapointing and frustrating when everyone just started piling on Coach Pearl without knowing the details of what went down.

This won’t be a popular but we all ‘lie’….often….to our boss, mate, kids, customers, strangers, sometimes it has no real significance and sometimes at critical moments, sometimes without even thinking about it…I don’t know the accepted definition (didn’t Google it) but to me there’s lots of nuance; leaving out parts of a story, avoidance, little ‘white lies’, etc…..sometimes its even expected… all lies

To illustrate I think it’s fair to say that Pat Summitt is someone we all admire and consider to be a moral and highly ethical person…..do you think she told the truth when providing an explanation as to why she dropped UCCON from the schedule….

after all the remarks you made about him, and the constant attacks against any poster that gave Pearl the benefit of the doubt...... THIS STATEMENT ALONE is AMAZING :spank:

I was a huge Pearl fan, but it still may have only been a matter of time. He seemed to be walking that fine line and eventually would have stepped over. Best break my heart now before I got even more attached.

unfortunate it had to go down like that, but it's over now. hopefully it works out for everyone in the end

So everyone was wrong about Pearl going back to the NCAA only because he was busted? Color me shocked.

Thanks for the tidbits LawVol. That all makes sense. Sucks it all had to go down in the first place.

So everyone was wrong about Pearl going back to the NCAA only because he was busted? Color me shocked.

It may or may not have been official at the time, but Pearl was already busted when he went back to the NCAA. You don't think that Craft, Selby, and their families would have told the NCAA exactly where the picture was taken? They had no reason to lie.

That's like saying you are confessing to rape on your own volition, but you already know they have your DNA everywhere.

It may or may not have been official at the time, but Pearl was already busted when he went back to the NCAA. You don't think that Craft, Selby, and their families would have told the NCAA exactly where the picture was taken? They had no reason to lie.

According to this person, the NCAA did not think the picture was an issue until Pearl admitted his wrongdoing. Therefore, they wouldn't have even asked Craft, Selby, etc. about the picture because they didn't consider it an issue.

VN Store

Back