2013 F Austin Nichols (Memphis Briarcrest)

Gcrop

My boy Smokey...
Evidently on an unofficial to UT.

Austin Nichols - Yahoo! Sports

MemphisRoar MemphisRoar
Don't know if this is out there yet, but 2013 F Austin Nichols (Briarcrest HS) is currently on an unofficial visit to Tennessee right now.

Per ESPN Recruiting:

Austin Nichols #15 SF 4* Grade-92

6'8'', 200 lbs. | Class of 2013

Strengths:
Fundamentally sound big man who keeps the ball high on the block and off the boards, he can score with his back to the basket, runs the floor very well and can knock down a short jumper.

Weaknesses:
Seems to be a trend of thin post/wing players in the Memphis area. Nichols is sound fundamentally but he has narrow shoulders and needs upper body strength badly to compete on the interior on the next level.

Bottom Line:
Nichols is a hard worker who has excellent footwork and passing skills out of the post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
He's rising fast. Still thin as a rail but he is very skilled and is improving.

I'll probably catch a few games this season, since my two younger siblings attend Bcrest. I understand that there's around 3-4 D1 players on the team (the other ones are lower-D1 level, though).

There's actually some highlight videos on youtube, looks good, no homo.

Getting this kid would be huuuuuuge! He could start at the 3 until he bulked and then hold down the power forward spot for 3 years.

Austin can be very good! I don't see him playing the 3 position though. Reminds me of a young Pau Gasol the way he use both hands. He will gain weight, he's 15-16.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Austin can be very good! I don't see him playing the 3 position though. Reminds me of a young Pau Gasol the way he use both hands. He will gain weight, he's 15-16.

Yeah, I immediately noticed we were recruiting the Davis kid from GA. to play the 3. Austin just needs some pounds and it sounds like his H.S. coaches know what's up.

There's three elite forwards in the city next year - JW3, King, and Nichols. I'd like to get at least one of them, but not holding my breath.

Evidently on an unofficial to UT.

Austin Nichols - Yahoo! Sports

He is really young, but have either of you seen the 6'6 8th grader that MUS has? Heard he is projected to be at least 7' tall. Solid skill for his age and very athletic and agile for his size.

He is really young, but have either of you seen the 6'6 8th grader that MUS has? Heard he is projected to be at least 7' tall. Solid skill for his age and very athletic and agile for his size.

Haven't seen him but I heard about him.

Haven't seen him but I heard about him.

With Peters retiring after this season, I see them getting a new style of play and becoming a power house. JMO.

That kid will be a big presence in the middle for a while to come.

Big Mike has the potential to be very good. He will dominate the private schools starting his junior year. 2 years ago he couldn't do 1/4 of the things he does now. There's also a 7 footer at Oakhaven picking up major interest,Big Sam is a 2013. 2013 - 2016 classes in Memphis are very good, did very good on the AAU circuits.

Big Mike has the potential to be very good. He will dominate the private schools starting his junior year. 2 years ago he couldn't do 1/4 of the things he does now. There's also a 7 footer at Oakhaven picking up major interest,Big Sam is a 2013. 2013 - 2016 classes in Memphis are very good, did very good on the AAU circuits.

John Martin (Scout.com) tweeted about this kid:
JohnMartinScout John Martin
Skal Labissiere is a name to watch in next few years. 6-foot-9 freshman at ECS.

This kid is named David.

Like an earlier poster said, Nichols is part of the trifecta of post players that are coming out of Memphis in 2013. Although he may have slightly less upside than JW3 or Nick King, he's still going to be a borderline top 50 players. Good get for any program in the area.

Sounds like he's enamored with Duke. They haven't offered yet, but they will and it already seems like they're in front now.

VN Store

Back