Wake Forest series possible?

Fingers

Tennessee is in discussions with Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wake Forest, Virginia and North Carolina State for future home-and-home men's basketball series.

UT coach Cuonzo Martin said Thursday negotiations are in the early stages, with the Demon Deacons possibly coming to Knoxville next season and the Vols looking to travel to play the Cavaliers.

UT talking with ACC schools for basketball series GoVolsXtra

I'd be ok with that. The ACC isn't what it used to be but still decent.

nm.

I like it
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Wake, VA, and UNC State: the also-rans of the ACC. If Bruce were still on campus, we'd probably be negotiating with Duke and North Carolina rather than the little sisters of the ACC. This is underwhelming news.

Last edited:
Wake, VA, and UNC State: the also-rans of the ACC. If Bruce were still on campus, we'd probably be negotiating with Duke and North Carolina rather than the little sisters of the ACC. This is underwhelming news.

We need wins where we can get them.

Yep, these would be good series, it will be nice to get recruiting exposure in North Carolina because they produce solid b-ball talent and some of it goes to South Carolina because Duke and UNC recruit nationally and can't always take the top in-state recruits. NC State is a decent program and it would be nice to get exposure in Raleigh. UNC won't be scheduling us in any sport anytime soon due to the football debacle and it's very hard to get a series with Duke. Coach K usually doesn't play schools with ethical problems or recent ethical problems.

This. I miss Bruce.

Bruce had 6 yerars to schedule the ACC. He never did. So dont blame coach Martin for not playing Duke or NC.

Bruce had 6 yerars to schedule the ACC. He never did. So dont blame coach Martin for not playing Duke or NC.

This. I'm excited for basketball season so we can see who the real fans are. Hint: they're not the idiots who say Pearl is the greatest coach ever.

Then go work for Hackney. What a joke.

This. I'm excited for basketball season so we can see who the real fans are. Hint: they're not the idiots who say Pearl is the greatest coach ever.

Oh god, the "real fan" argument. OK, I will bite. I have been going to games for over twenty-five years. I never missed a home game during the Wade Houston era. I think Bruce Pearl is the greatest UT mens basketball coach of all time. I guess I am not a real fan.

Not a bad series. Who else do you schedule besides Duke or UNC? Duke wouldn't come to Knoxville. We'd play in Atlanta or Nashville. I've always wanted a series with UNC but we need a couple of years for that.

Oh god, the "real fan" argument. OK, I will bite. I have been going to games for over twenty-five years. I never missed a home game during the Wade Houston era. I think Bruce Pearl is the greatest UT mens basketball coach of all time. I guess I am not a real fan.

I'm not talking about people like you who sat through the Houston era/error and other glorious mishaps in Tennessee basketball. I'm talking about the groups who started showing up at TBA when the team began to have success and didn't care about Tennessee basketball beforehand and likely don't care about it right now.

True fan argument doesn't concern you.

This is wrong. Who does Duke schedule out of conference other than home games? Besides, I'm pretty sure K and Roy wouldn't want to deal with scheduling Tennessee to a series. What do those two programs have to gain by traveling to Knoxville to play a game?

IMO, these are the kinds of teams we should be scheduling at this point - major conferences, middle of the class. Better chance of winning against better competition as opposed to a bunch of mid-majors. I'm sure we'll still have our 1 or 2 big games per season. I approve of these discussions as of right now.

Reactions: 1 person

Yeah in Bruce's 6 years here, he sure did a lot of games with Duke and North Carolina, didn't he.. No wonder you are special ed.

Ummm..no. Even if Bruce were here, we'd probably suck anyway this coming season.

And remind me how many times he tried to schedule Duke and North Carolina while he was here.

Ummm..no. Even if Bruce were here, we'd probably suck anyway this coming season.

And remind me how many times he tried to schedule Duke and North Carolina while he was here.

If I'm not mistaken, I heard Tony Jones, or someone speaking on his behalf on the radio, talk about trying to schedule a home-and-home with Duke and that Coach K expressed no interest. Makes sense as they stand to gain nothing from it, but I do think they tried with at least Duke.

If I'm not mistaken, I heard Tony Jones, or someone speaking on his behalf on the radio, talk about trying to schedule a home-and-home with Duke and that Coach K expressed no interest. Makes sense as they stand to gain nothing from it, but I do think they tried with at least Duke.

I'd rather hear it from a reputable source myself.

Predictable reply from you.

Should be the reply of most. Forgive me for not believing anything from the previous staff.

Do you need to be reminded of their track record?

VN Store

Back