Maui Invitational

Gcrop

My boy Smokey...
Per Andy Katz:

The Maui Invitational bracket is being worked on this month with an expected announcement coming soon. A few things you can expect: Duke won't play Chaminade in the first round and Memphis won't play Tennessee, since the two teams have a regular series. Duke doesn't like to play non-Division I teams and makes it quite clear when it signs up for these events that it would rather not be matched in the first round with the host school.

If the tournament were seeded it would probably go: 1. Duke; 2. Memphis; 3. Michigan; 4. Kansas; 5. UCLA; 6. Georgetown; 7. Tennessee; 8. Chaminade. But the tournament won't be matched by seeds. One possible grouping that makes sense based on the parameters is: Kansas-Chaminade and UCLA-Memphis on one side of the bracket; Georgetown-Michigan and Duke-Tennessee on the other. No one would deny that a possible Duke-Kansas final helps the overall health of the tournament and would rate well. But KU would have to possibly get by Conference USA-favorite Memphis and that's with the assumption that Duke can beat Michigan if the two were to meet in the semifinals. The Blue Devils defeated the Wolverines by just two in last season's NCAA tournament.

As long as it's not Chaminade, I'll have at least a little sense of satisfaction if we win one game (excluding consolations). I'm optimistic about the team, but that's a hell of a field. Too excited for the season to start....I wish we could just skip football lol (somewhat serious).

As long as it's not Chaminade, I'll have at least a little sense of satisfaction if we win one game (excluding consolations). I'm optimistic about the team, but that's a hell of a field. Too excited for the season to start....I wish we could just skip football lol (somewhat serious).

*gasp*

Duke doesn't like playing lower division schools, but they don't hesitate to scrape the bottom of the D1 barrel for their OOC schedule.

Duke doesn't like playing lower division schools, but they don't hesitate to scrape the bottom of the D1 barrel for their OOC schedule.

Huh?

Duke's SOS the last 5 seasons:

2010-11: 24
2009-10: 8
2008-09: 1
2007-08: 5
2006-07: 3

In 2010-11, they ACC was way down and their OOC SOS was better than in conference according to this. I realize they schedule some bottom-feeders, but they always play a few elite opponents in addition to exempt tournaments such as this one.

Sucks that we won't be competitive in this field. This is the best preseason tourney we've played in a while.

F***ing right!! If people can blow their loads all year about football and not give 2 shizz about basketball, I can do the opposite.

Vol football<Vol basketball!!!!!!!

BLASPHEMOUS!!! Hurry, let's grab some logs, kerosene and burn this witch at the stake!!! LOL

the folks in Maui may be just as pissed about CBP getting fired as I am.

They went from having a top 10 caliber team in their tournament to an also ran SEC squad.

I was really excited about being part of this Maui field when it was first announced. Now, I will not care about this event at all until our first game is about to start. I will stay with this team all year if they are playing hard, but I'll turn the channel before I watch one blowout loss after another.

We're going to play 3 games in the tourney regardless. It's not double-elimination.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sick of the way our football team plays. I hope they'll be better this year, but shizzy coaching and a lack of effort have turned me off from the football team. Doesn't mean I'm not going to watch the games or not cheer for us. I just don't understand how you could resent any program within your favorite school.

Why is it OK to only support UT football, but it's not OK to only support UT basketball?

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sick of the way our football team plays. I hope they'll be better this year, but shizzy coaching and a lack of effort have turned me off from the football team. Doesn't mean I'm not going to watch the games or not cheer for us. I just don't understand how you could resent any program within your favorite school.

Why is it OK to only support UT football, but it's not OK to only support UT basketball?

What?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Implication here is absolutely silly.

The people in Maui being upset that not many UT fans will make the trip and purchase tickets to their tournament because there is next to no excitement around the program now that CBP is gone is "absolutely silly?"

You know Phil Fulmer is no longer the head coach?

the folks in Maui may be just as pissed about CBP getting fired as I am.

They went from having a top 10 caliber team in their tournament to an also ran SEC squad.

The truth of the matter is that this year's team wouldn't have looked much different even if Pearl were still around.

VN Store

Back