GoVols2003

Solid Verbal
Shooting Guard
Memphis, TN
Booker T Washington HS
6'2
195lbs

Martavious Newby - Yahoo! Sports

3* SG on Rivals. Kid has flown under the radar to some extent. He is apparently killing it at the Peach Jam so far. Garry Parrish tweeted, "Martavious Newby the main topic of conversation among coaches". He is on the same team as Stokes

Here is a little blog entry about him from several months back.
The case for Martavious Newby - The Memphis Edge

I think TN was aware of who is was before the Peach Jam and to my understanding has at least talked with him. Not sure if he will get an offer going forward, but he reminds me a little of how Chris Crawford started to gain more and more attention at about the same time frame.

Also, he is listed anywhere from 6'2 to 6'4 and 195-210, but I believe he is somewhere in the middle of that.

Another post from Parrish on what the thought of the coaches watching were...

Physically gifted. One coach said he can be Tony Allen like. Really opened some eyes today. We'll see where it goes from here.

Newby scored 21pts in the game that was referred to. That is on a team with Jarnell Stokes and Shaq Goodwin.

I posted months ago that UT should go after Newby. He can play on both ends of the court. I agree with the Tony Allen comparison on defensive end,but not on the offensive end. He can score, point blank! Oh..he's a beast on the football field...I'm leaving that alone since this is a Bball forum. He has a NBA/NFL body. He is worth a scholly!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

His ratings are going to shoot up after this evaluation period. That whole YOMCA team is full of ballers.

He went for another 17 in the second game.

Junkie/Canes... I have seen the argument over whether or not he has character issues. Are either of you aware of anything?

Saw this posted by Easterwood, who is one of the coaches in his AAU program.

He was asked what the scoop was on Newby.

He's a freak athlete, looks like an NFL DB. He's wide open, Ole Miss, Auburn and others have offered. Was told that UT loved what they saw today. Does everything well but shoot it.

Also

Shoots better than JP. His mechanics aren't horrible. But he's no Chris Lofton.

Last edited:
If he plays defense like Tony Allen then sign him

I have never seen this young man be disrespectful nor show any character flaws. Those are assumptions made because of the BTW neighborhoods. Follow John Varlais on Twitter..he's writing a story for the CA dispelling those myths.

Glad to hear some good things about him, but I'm not sure if being a better shooter than JP is a substantial upgrade lol.

I have never seen this young man be disrespectful nor show any character flaws. Those are assumptions made because of the BTW neighborhoods. Follow John Varlais on Twitter..he's writing a story for the CA dispelling those myths.

Yeah, I follow Varlas on twitter. To be perfectly honest, my experience with Varlas leaves me questioning his judgement at times on these types of things in addition to talent evaluation.

I know Tiger fans have given Jason Smith a little bit of a hard time after his first year as the Tiger Beat guy, but I always liked him because dude will tell it like it is. He will not go out of his way to bash a kid, but if there is a glaring issue with a kid, he won't cover it up.

Just my opinion though.

I like Jason also. My evaluation of players are not based on others. I have interacted with this young man for atleast 5-6 years. He was the best 9th grader in TN and continued to get better each year. They where upset in the Sub-state game last year, he had a off night.

I've not heard of any character issues with Newby to speak of. The kid is a high-major level prospect who will be able to defend out of the gate. This guy is Martin's type player to a tee. We'll see if CCM starts to push hard for him after the July eval period.

I like Jason also. My evaluation of players are not based on others. I have interacted with this young man for atleast 5-6 years. He was the best 9th grader in TN and continued to get better each year. They where upset in the Sub-state game last year, he had a off night.

So the defending state champs upset them? at home? by 20?

So the defending state champs upset them? at home? by 20?

I say yes. No one player well for BTW that night. They thought it would be an easy win. NEWBY was hitting 30 a night at that point of the season. It was 3 sub-state games that night and everyone was shocked that they player so poorly. The defending state champs had lost their last game in the regional championship game.

The champs are always the champs until they are out of the tournament. And the fact they were hosting the game mean they were expected to win as well.

Darn near dropped a triple double earlier in the day.

Should be a good semifinal tomorrow.... Newby/Goodwin/Stokes going against Parker/Pythress.

Last edited:
Darn near dropped a triple double earlier in the day.

Should be a good semifinal tomorrow.... Newby/Goodwin/Stokes going against Parker/Pythress.

I have wondered why people weren't high on him from the jump. You could tell when he was a freshman he would be something special (see state championship game from that year). Playing in single A ball this year won't do him any favors.

I have wondered why people weren't high on him from the jump. You could tell when he was a freshman he would be something special (see state championship game from that year). Playing in single A ball this year won't do him any favors.

Not a strong shooter. Doesn't have a good handle, so he can't play the PG spot. Most high-major programs would be hesitant to offer a scholarship to a 2 guard who can't score very well. I think he's going to play his way into being a high-major recruit with his performance in the Peach Jam though. He can rebound and pass the ball, and he's the best defender there (sounds like).

VN Store

Back