Coach Martin addresses recruiting critcism

Chris4Vols22

GBO or GTFO
It's clear that this quote from coach Martin needs to be posted on VN:
"It's funny, I've heard a couple of times people wonder if I can recruit big-time players,'' he said. "I recruited in the Big 10 for eight years. I've seen talent, and I know what I'm looking for.''

And it seems this can never be iterated enough:
UT is expected to be placed on probation and could lose scholarships and/or face additional sanctions as a result of NCAA recruiting violations committed by former coach Bruce Pearl and the previous coaching staff, all of whom were terminated on March 21 - six days before Martin was hired.

Granted it's from Griff, this is a quality write-up and update on coach Martin.
Cuonzo Martin is visible to recruits on AAU trail GoVolsXtra

At least we have a coach who can actually travel off campus to recruit. That's a start
Posted via VolNation Mobile

At least we have a coach who can actually travel off campus to recruit. That's a start

:lolabove: Indeed.

Btw, I'm not trying to offend any die hard Pearl-supporters, but it seems some people sincerely don't understand it.

He's looking for basketball players. I long have said BP got caught up in rankings and publicity for TN basketball recruiting recognition, otherwise known as what some of you whiners had *****ed about not having with prior staffs.
BP screwed up there, no matter how you spin it. We need ballhandlers, shooters and ball players. The lack of those disappointed me more thant the cookoutgate.

Writer32 is dumber than a hog is in the azz! IMO. I like coach Martin. Go get them coach.

I still think Martin should have pocketed 2 scholarships instead of using all 5. i felt to offset any reductions and even if none are looming the next class would be better to load up on. But I guess he felt 5 birds in the hand are better than 3 in hand and 4 in bush.

I still think Martin should have pocketed 2 scholarships instead of using all 5. i felt to offset any reductions and even if none are looming the next class would be better to load up on. But I guess he felt 5 birds in the hand are better than 3 in hand and 4 in bush.

Nothing better than having a hand in a bush.

There is a HUGE difference between recruiting someone that has talent and actually closing the deal. Coach Martin brings up players he "recruited" for PURDUE.
What about the players he "closed" at Missouri St.?
CCM better Coach and WIN. We all "recruit" when we talk how great TN is.

Pearl couldn't and didn't recruit well at all. I loved Pearl, I'm sad he's gone. I'm still bitter. Truth is he couldn't and didn't recruit well at all. He swung and missed so many times on good guard play, it's pathetic. I will say as far as hype-man game day coach, one of the best if not the best. This notion that we are doomed and lost this great recruiting genious for something lesser is just simply false. To me, although I'm no expert, I feel Martin is addressing the needed areas much better than Pearl ever did(recruiting wise). Like I said I'm no expert but have played basketball and coached it most of my life. Ask Butler how their sorry ass recruiting turned out?

There is a HUGE difference between recruiting someone that has talent and actually closing the deal. Coach Martin brings up players he "recruited" for PURDUE.
What about the players he "closed" at Missouri St.?

Considering that Missouri State got much better during his tenure there, I would imagine that Martin was very successful in closing the deal on the best players he could convince to play for him there. You're not going to get McDonald's All-Americans at Missouri State, no matter how good of a recruiter you are.

The fact he recruited well for Purdue is entirely relevant to the discussion. If he can convince good players to play at Purdue, it stands to reason that he can do the same at Tennessee.

I'm surprised that hatvol hasn't graced everyone with his "Pearls" of wisdom yet on this topic.

I'm surprised that hatvol hasn't graced everyone with his "Pearls" of wisdom yet on this topic.

I think Hat has been pretty clear that he has no problem with the new coach, even if he isn't the sort of hire he was hoping for. He has made some salient points about the limitations of the Purdue coaching tree. It's wait-and-see.

But hate on like Hat didn't basically predict Pearl's downfall.

Did Writer32 indicate if Martin has adequate leadership quality?

If you can't figure that out on yer own by researching the man you are way to busy to keep up with sports. Leadership qualities are the reason the man was choosen...do some work.

If you can't figure that out on yer own by researching the man you are way to busy to keep up with sports. Leadership qualities are the reason the man was choosen...do some work.

Lol fail. Lol "choosen."

Can't judge CCM's recruiting before the NCAA hands down punishment. No top recruits are going to consider with possibilities of lost scholarships and post season bans looming, however remote the chance.

Judge him on his 2012 class. However, regarding that class, I've seen more than one tweet stating (paraphrased): "Counzo Martin is the only high-major coach in attendance to watch recruit X".

I'd think he'd be setting his sights a bit higher.

Pearl couldn't and didn't recruit well at all. I loved Pearl, I'm sad he's gone. I'm still bitter. Truth is he couldn't and didn't recruit well at all. He swung and missed so many times on good guard play, it's pathetic. I will say as far as hype-man game day coach, one of the best if not the best. This notion that we are doomed and lost this great recruiting genious for something lesser is just simply false. To me, although I'm no expert, I feel Martin is addressing the needed areas much better than Pearl ever did(recruiting wise). Like I said I'm no expert but have played basketball and coached it most of my life. Ask Butler how their sorry ass recruiting turned out?

I have a feeling you will miss Bruce's recruiting in a couple of years.

VN Store

Back