Reason for McRae not redshirting?

Fingers

Saw where Pearl wanted to redshirt him, but McRae declined. In a situation like his, what's the motivation to pass on the redshirt?

Pearl was lying. McRae actually wanted to redshirt, but Pearl was out to take a year of eligibility away.

I'm assuming Pearl told him he wasn't going to see the floor much, if at all. At that point, do you believe McRae really thought he could crack the rotation?

Watching Cam and McBee suck, he had to assume he could help.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Watching Cam and McBee suck, he had to assume he could help.

Solid point.

I think McRae has a lot of talent and it still amazes me that he didn't play more. I watched McRae and Golden compete at the Derby Classic last year, and between the two, I figured McRae would have a bigger impact. I guess if you believe the Pearl quotes, maturity was a huge issue.

Mcrae will tell you himself that he needed to mature and grow up.

You are right Big Papa. That's why the season went the way it did. There was consistency in the message from Pearl. It was all about showcasing the stars last season. The problem was he had a star that only played offense, and then only when he wasn't pouting. His other star was an 18 year old freshman that tried to let the upper classmen lead the team, which they couldn't do because they were so immature on the court and in their personal lives.

C'mon folks - Pearl was not the end all be all of college coaches. He used his position to let his son grab minutes in a program that would not have had him be a bench warmer if he had not been his son. He had McBee out there clanking threes and getting blown by on defense. Do you not think Jordy knew that and resented it? Jordy and Trae are going to be a great combination given time to play together more minutes in the motion offense. That could have already worked itself out if Pearl had seen fit to get them ready last year.

Trae and Jordan need to play up to their talent levels if this team wants to make the tourney next year. I was honestly surprised how little we got out of them last year.

Pearl talked about redshirting Jordan and then he went out and gave him the start the very next game against Belmont. After that, Jordan pretty much never played again. That said, I wouldn't put it past him to average 15 a game this season.

The guy was to small to play an SEC schedule last season, simple as that. He would have been on the injury list before the 1st half of the season was over. From the recent pictures he does not look to have gained much weight.

The guy was to small to play an SEC schedule last season, simple as that. He would have been on the injury list before the 1st half of the season was over. From the recent pictures he does not look to have gained much weight.

Please. McBee and Cam Tatum aren't exactly Arnold Schwarzeneggers.

So? Did he apply that standard to Ramar, Crews, Cam or Chism?

Apples and oranges IMO. I didn't make my comment as a Pearl apologist, but rather as a matter of fact. Mcrae needed to mature physically, emotionally, attitude-wise. In hindsight, he has publicly admitted as much. Furthermore, there was the belief that he would not need to play a large role as a freshman, unlike the players you mentioned.

The players you mentioned were present in the infancy stage of Pearls tenure and were relied upon heavily to contribute immediately, with the exception of Tatum. I'm not really sure why you included him in your argument, especially since he did redshirt.

hey you ever heard of kevin durant,look at his massive size,ha ha and he led nba in scoring and he wasnt on ir in the nba a more phyical league than the sec.and he has been an all star and led usa national team and he is a bean poll,so know what you are saying before you say it.

Durant couldn't even bench the bar when he left TX. McRae was just buried behind Scotty, Cam, Bone, and Mcbee who were all better defenders. Heading into last season, pt production wasn't supposed to be an issue. In hindsight, McRae may have been able to be that spark. I just hope he has pulled it all together for his Soph campaign.

Go VOLS!!!

I think McRae will impress this year....at least I hope so

Had a friend on the staff last year...said that mcrae had one of the worst attitudes he's ever seen at any level of ball. Yes, worse than scotty or cam. Plain and simple reason right there. He also said that if he gets that in check, which looks like it might happen with a new staff, that he would be a very good player. Time will tell

hey you ever heard of kevin durant,look at his massive size,ha ha and he led nba in scoring and he wasnt on ir in the nba a more phyical league than the sec.and he has been an all star and led usa national team and he is a bean poll,so know what you are saying before you say it.

Kevin Durant is 6'9" 230lbs with a 7'5" wingspan Jordan is 6'6" and listed at 180 but more like 170. Take your own advice.

Kevin Durant is 6'9" 230lbs with a 7'5" wingspan Jordan is 6'6" and listed at 180 but more like 170. Take your own advice.

If you believe Durant weighed 230 at any point ever, you're lost.

Straight from ESPN

Kevin Durant Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - Oklahoma City Thunder - ESPN

of course you know better I would imagine?

but you probably believe Jordan weights 180 as listed on the roster.

Well hell, it must be true and had to be true wen he was winning the Naismith as a freshman.

I wonder what Iverson weighed as a frosh. How Bol play years in the league? Mourning was a giant as a frosh at G'Town.

Nevermind, list of skinny collegiate swingmen could go all day, but why bother to make your point look stupid, when you've done the heavy lifting?

VN Store

Back