Could we have Brandon Wood for 1 year?

Another guard....we have about 10 now.....need a J Fields BIG not a guard..
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Thanks Calban. I am disappointed fewer insiders showed up to guarantee that we will not get a visit before you linked those articles. I had not seen either, but I knew based on the draft article that he was a likely transfer and that we are likely losing Hopson.

Sometimes 2+2 really does equal 4.

This the kind of thread I would expect from some one who claims to be a fan of Mike Hamilton. The next best day at UT will be when Hamilton is shown the door.

It seems like some people are looking for a player who is not coming in the door for 2011.

Tennessee has not had an offensively skilled big man who had lots of back to the basket moves and was guaranteed to score if you fed him in the post in a VERY long time.

Our last big man who was a #1 scoring option???

Think about Pearl's best teams. Lofton, J Smith, Hopson. We have never relied on a center. Chism was clearly the best, and he got better over 4 years but was not a dominant force as a freshman.

We will have some great big men at TN under Martin, and they will be coming in the 2012 class, not this years. There are not any left.

Wood scored 20 against Purdue in a loss,
he scored 35 in a win against the Oakland team we lost to.

He focused on assists more this last season and taking care of the ball and the only concern is his FT shooting. This is a guy who would do an incredible amount more for us next year than some of the guys who we are recruiting who are high school seniors.

SEASON TEAM MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
2007-2008 SIU 11.3 3.7 .8 .5 .8 .60 .5 .2 .8 .444 .750 .300 1.22
2008-2009 Did not play.
2009-2010 VALP 31.7 17.7 4.5 2.3 2.5 .89 1.0 .1 2.2 .464 .813 .373 1.32
2010-2011 VALP 31.9 16.7 4.3 3.1 2.2 1.43 1.7 .2 1.5 .463 .664 .363 1.23

Averaged 17-18 points a game over the last 2 seasons and a 36-37% 3point avg. I'll take him in a heart beat.

Check this out:
Hopson
From the field 44.4%
3 Point 35.4%
Free Throw 67.1%

Wood
From the field 46.2%
3 Point 36.2%
Free Throw 73.8%

In the first article he implied that izzo contacted him first and not the other way around. Is that even allowed? Sounds like a violation of some sort to me.

In the first article he implied that izzo contacted him first and not the other way around. Is that even allowed? Sounds like a violation of some sort to me.

“With me graduating and having an extra year, I want to take a look at all of my options that I have before me,” Wood said. “My family and I have met with Coach (Homer) Drew and with Coach Bryce (Drew) and we’ve gone through everything. We’ve talked about the pros and cons of everything. They ultimately want me to come back, but they’ve helped me with every option I’d like to explore.”

That help has included granting a Permission-To-Contact letter which must be given by Valparaiso in order for other Division I schools to speak with Wood. Drew has granted the letter and Wood has had multiple conversations with Michigan State and is also looking to set up a visit at Purdue.

“I talked to Coach (Tom) Izzo and Draymond Green so far,” Wood said. “It’s kind of like a flashback to high school recruiting again, but it’s also a bit different. I’m recruiting them at the same time. I would only make this decision for a perfect position and for the right graduate program. The exposure of playing in a power conference night-in and night-out and the chance to prove myself in a Power Six conference.”

“With me graduating and having an extra year, I want to take a look at all of my options that I have before me,” Wood said. “My family and I have met with Coach (Homer) Drew and with Coach Bryce (Drew) and we’ve gone through everything. We’ve talked about the pros and cons of everything. They ultimately want me to come back, but they’ve helped me with every option I’d like to explore.”

That help has included granting a Permission-To-Contact letter which must be given by Valparaiso in order for other Division I schools to speak with Wood. Drew has granted the letter and Wood has had multiple conversations with Michigan State and is also looking to set up a visit at Purdue.

“I talked to Coach (Tom) Izzo and Draymond Green so far,” Wood said. “It’s kind of like a flashback to high school recruiting again, but it’s also a bit different. I’m recruiting them at the same time. I would only make this decision for a perfect position and for the right graduate program. The exposure of playing in a power conference night-in and night-out and the chance to prove myself in a Power Six conference.”
Good stuff calban. Just seemed weird that he said it was izzo's idea not his. Dont see why valpo would have known to grant permission if it wasnt the kids idea.

No to what Bam? You haven't been reading anything I wrote for weeks right? No to asking for wilcox as dc? No to a usc d lineman will transfer here? No to this option which is a great one in terms of what Coach Martin would like to see?

No to what Bam? You haven't been reading anything I wrote for weeks right? No to asking for wilcox as dc? No to a usc d lineman will transfer here? No to this option which is a great one in terms of what Coach Martin would like to see?
Maybe he's saying no no no it ain't gonna happen.
Sadly, I would have to agree.
Wood is looking for the perfect position to showcase his talent and upgrade his 2012 draft status.
Would he do that better on a team that is going to struggle to win 19 games and get back to the NCAA tourney.
Or would he choose a team that is talking NC run?
Honestly. Which would be better for him?

Maybe he's saying no no no it ain't gonna happen.
Sadly, I would have to agree.
Wood is looking for the perfect position to showcase his talent and upgrade his 2012 draft status.
Would he do that better on a team that is going to struggle to win 19 games and get back to the NCAA tourney.
Or would he choose a team that is talking NC run?
Honestly. Which would be better for him?

I agree with what you are saying but it is possible that he is also trying to say that he can do his thing in a league with better competition. We fit that requirment and offer him more PT. Probably end up mich st like you said though.

VN Store

Back