(ESPN) Harris expected to stay in draft; Hopson a mystery

globadoc

Professor of BBQ & Sports
More from Big Time Andy Katz (link).

"The players that NBA personnel don't expect to return to school are:
Tobias Harris, Tennessee"

"[P]layers whose decision [is] considered a bit of a mystery heading into these final few days:
Scotty Hopson, Tennessee"

"New Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin is having to start over in Knoxville, and while Hopson would help in the transition, it wouldn't come as a shock if he stayed in the draft to avoid a possible rebuilding season."

Hopson is not avoiding the rebuilding season. Its because he has believed since high school that he is a one and done.

i guess we'll know sunday. my feeling he's gone. he's a top 15 pick (projected). this one will hurt

Care a great deal about losing Harris - not so much with Hopson. We need to sign another big for next season. If we don't it may get ugly.

I've seen far worse players in the nba this season than Tobias. Let's be honest, there isn't much D played up there anyways.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Tobias has shown potential to be a good NBA player, however, he still has alot to work on to be more than a second teamer on most NBA clubs. If he is going to play the 3 His jump shot needs alot of work. If he goes in the first round, it would be based on potential only. As for Hospon, I guess it depends on which Hopson shows up. No different than Vincent Yarbrough IMO.

There's plenty of D in the NBA.
Anytime I see the "nobody plays defense in the NBA" comment, I make a mental note to ignore anything basketball related that person says going forward. If there was no defense being played, the final scores would be 171-168 every night.

Hopson is not staying.
I had this conversation with a friend, who is a player agent, the other day. When has a guy who abandoned campus to go "work out" in preparation for the draft ever returned to school?

I had this conversation with a friend, who is a player agent, the other day. When has a guy who abandoned campus to go "work out" in preparation for the draft ever returned to school?

I was actually wondering the same thing. I'm sure it has happened, but obviously not very often.

Hopson going makes the 1 year Wood presence more likely.

Wood, McRae. That could be some very strong scoring.

Golden
Wood
McRae
Woolridge
Hall.

A lean and long team. Would look a good bit like the Michigan team that just destroyed us.

I was actually wondering the same thing. I'm sure it has happened, but obviously not very often.
If a player blows off attending class for essentially an entire semester, that's a pretty good indication of where his head is.

I'm still trying to figure out how Self kept a straight face when he said Selby was keeping up with his studies while he was working out in Las Vegas. That was a good one.

If a player blows off attending class for essentially an entire semester, that's a pretty good indication of where his head is.

Exactly. Not many coaches will want to put up with someone who has that much of an ego.

Exactly. Not many coaches will want to put up with someone who has that much of an ego.
I look at it this way. Players miss an enormous amount of class the first half of the spring semester travelling to road and tournament games. If they choose to do something other than go to class once they get back on campus after the season ends, that's a clear indication they've moved on mentally.

I look at it this way. Players miss an enormous amount of class the first half of the spring semester travelling to road and tournament games. If they choose to do something other than go to class once they get back on campus after the season ends, that's a clear indication they've moved on mentally.

That is pretty much true. Maybe the brightside for the NCAA moving up the deadline will be that it will no longer prolongs the inevitable from happening for these type players and may help out coaches get in on some late signing recruits.

Anytime I see the "nobody plays defense in the NBA" comment, I make a mental note to ignore anything basketball related that person says going forward. If there was no defense being played, the final scores would be 171-168 every night.

Take notice of every other professional sport's scoring when compared to it's college counterpart. Many mirror each other, except for basketball. You can't tell me the extra 8 minutes should explain the surplus of over 30 points per team.

I'm not saying that teams just stand by ala Rock-n-Jock style and give them the basket every possession, but you can't tell me teams are focusing on Gary Payton-glove esque defensive sets.

Also, I've heard the argument, "well, players are just better"...but only offensively? Wouldn't it translate to all sides of the ball?

You're a great poster Hat, especially in basketball, and I really enjoy reading your posts, but I've seen plenty of nba games where defense only steps up in the last two minutes.

Take notice of every other professional sport's scoring when compared to it's college counterpart. Many mirror each other, except for basketball. You can't tell me the extra 8 minutes should explain the surplus of over 30 points per team.

I'm not saying that teams just stand by ala Rock-n-Jock style and give them the basket every possession, but you can't tell me teams are focusing on Gary Payton-glove esque defensive sets.

Also, I've heard the argument, "well, players are just better"...but only offensively? Wouldn't it translate to all sides of the ball?

You're a great poster Hat, especially in basketball, and I really enjoy reading your posts, but I've seen plenty of nba games where defense only steps up in the last two minutes.
8 more minutes, a shot clock that's 11 seconds shorter, the 360 best players in the world versus a game littered with the Dane Bradshaws and Sylar McBees of the world. Yeah, I can't figure where those extra points come from.

Also, compare the top offensive teams in college football average points per game versus the highest scoring teams in the NFL. It's never close.

VN Store

Back