Cuonzo Martin Passes His First Test.

hatvol96

It's obvious, in light of today's New York Times article, that passing on dealing with the Ken Caldwells of the world in an attempt to retain Kevin Ware was a great decision.

It's obvious, in light of today's New York Times article, that passing on dealing with the Ken Caldwells of the world in an attempt to retain Kevin Ware was a great decision.

I'm out of the loop on this. Can you give me a link so I can catch up, or explain the situation? Thanks.

Makes you wonder how much of this stuff is flying under the NCAA radar while UT's basketball program burns on the BBQ grill.

Makes you wonder how much of this stuff is flying under the NCAA radar while UT's basketball program burns on the BBQ grill.
It's not under their radar. They know about plenty of Ken Caldwells. They simply know they can't effectively police them. If something like this breaks, the 'AA acts. If not, they just pretend it's not happening and go on about their business.

Nice insight into the darker side of college sports recruitment and the sleazy characters, like Kenneth Caldwell, who manipulate the athletes, their families, and the coaching staffs to the detriment of everyone. THIS is what the ncaa should be cracking down on.

If CCM steered clear because of Caldwell and the moral implications suggested in this article, then kudos to him. Regardless, it appears he indeed side-stepped a live landmine in Ware.

"Caldwell, based on interviews and a review of records, appears to fit the profile of a runner. He denies being a runner, but said if he were he would be 'the best in the country, and you could not stop me.' "

Wow... just wow.. As if all the indicators aren't already there for a serious investigation by the NCAA and possibly even the FBI; you don't taunt the people who could be looking to nab you at the slightest mistake. How brash and delusional does this guy think he is? Seriously.. This is the type of stuff that is commonplace in college athletics and is not limited to the major sports either. Anyone that a dime can potentially be made off of is at the least getting feelers or minute overtures to test the water at the least.

I don't see how you fault Ware for this. At 17 years old, people are easily influenced by people who are great con-artists. There HAS to be a paper trail somewhere, and wherever that route leads, bad things will follow.

Maybe this whole experience will affect Ware in a positive way and he might show some interest in us now that CCM appears to be the shining moral light in a dark tunnel. We could end up benefiting from Ware's dealings with te shadier aspects of his recruitment.

I am still in shock that someone could be so brash as to say that he is not something, but if he was, he would be untouchable. That catch me if you can attitude WILL catch up to him if not today or tomorrow, sometime in the near future it will and that is for sure.

The odd recruitment of Terrence Jones is coming to mind and hard not to see the similarities in his surprise change of heart from WA to UK. I wonder how many of these runners Cal has in his pocket. I am sure more than most coaches who practice these habits, or at least more efficient, less visibly characters. No one can recruit as well as he has without some help. Lets be honest, he is pulling better classes than Pat or Geno in a sport with MUCH more parity. Runners, by personality traits and shadiness, are psychologically are going to be more prone to rat to save self due to their nature. All it takes is hemming one or two up and the dominos will fall accordingly. If I were a fan of UK, UCONN, UCF, Baylor, or several other schools with shady coaches... I'd be hoping and praying that this stays underground and light isn't shed on what goes on behind the scenes in implicating detail...

Softball needs to take notes as this is grade-A journalism.

I'd venture to say that Bruce had some dealings with these characters as well, so I am not just bashing UK or the other schools I mentioned.

I'm not trying to know or throw names out as the last thing we need are the folks over at the NCAA digging any deeper before the current situation is done and over and behind us.

I'm quite sure the Pump bros have quite a few runners that MH and BP and Kiffin all have met and had dealings with. The whole recruitment of Bryce Brown is another situation that comes to mind. The Brian Butler situation is beyond me on how nothing ever came to light on it. Maybe once (if) Bryce does make it to the NFL, and Butler's pockets run deeper something may come out.

The "mentors" with a public image and name recognition are probably the minority in this type of situation as well.

seems to me Bruce was 0 for 2 in recruiting. . .

These clowns are everywhere. Question is, as a parent, wth is Ware's family doing in letting him meet with, speak to, or even arrange meetings with manipulators like this guy? Where was Ware's hs coach in all this?

The good ones aren't.
Actually, they almost all are. It doesn't matter if they are good, bad, or indifferent. It's systemic. As long as the vast majority of evaluation is done in the spring and summer, the coaches handling kids at that point will run the show. Who's a kid going to listen to? The guy flying him to Vegas to play in front of Bill Self and Bob Huggins or the guy driving him in a 1986 model van with bench seats to play Hillbilly High? The high school and prep coaches who actually hold sway with elite players are few and far between. The Hurleys, Boyles, and Smiths of the world are the exceptions that prove the rule. For every top level kid who turns to their high school coach for advice, there are 20 who seek counsel from their AAU/Summer coach.

This happens ALL THE TIME...one coaching member of the SEC has done it for years....and WE ALL KNOW WHO THAT IS...Tho some will defend him, he is too sharp to get caught...Very unfortunate and of course the AAUers of the world dance right up to the line and occasionally slid over the line....the city of Memphis and probably Atlanta are full of them....I have a good friend who had a son play in the SEC and now is an assistant coach in the SEC....His stories are sometimes just like this thing....But what do you do? Nothing....and life goes on....

Actually, they almost all are. It doesn't matter if they are good, bad, or indifferent. It's systemic. As long as the vast majority of evaluation is done in the spring and summer, the coaches handling kids at that point will run the show. Who's a kid going to listen to? The guy flying him to Vegas to play in front of Bill Self and Bob Huggins or the guy driving him in a 1986 model van with bench seats to play Hillbilly High? The high school and prep coaches who actually hold sway with elite players are few and far between. The Hurleys, Boyles, and Smiths of the world are the exceptions that prove the rule. For every top level kid who turns to their high school coach for advice, there are 20 who seek counsel from their AAU/Summer coach.

Valid points. Parents can have more control, but they just pawn them off many times. There are a lot of kids that have better trust and relationships with their hs coaches, but the top 150 or so are in a free for all.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back