Memphis scared of TN

MY3*VOLS

Chillaxing, brahs!!!!!!
I thought this was a sissy thing for a coach to say. I know Memphis has taken a hit after losing Calamari but it can't be that bad. He should show a lot more confidence in his recruiting and team.

Arkansas | MrSEC.com

I hope Coach Martin would never say anything like that.

Last edited:
Memphis’ Pastner Doesn’t Want To Give Arkansas (Or Tennessee) A Foothold
Why would he?

I thought this was a sissy thing for a coach to say. I know Memphis has taken a hit after losing Calamari but it can't be that bad. He should show a lot more confidence in his recruiting and team.

Arkansas | MrSEC.com

I hope Coach Martin would never say anything like that.

If we were judgement day honest, playing a home and home doesn't help Tennessee that much...Knoxville is just a long way away for the Memphis kids...I can understand that....of course the whipping Memphis has taken, especially in recent years, might increase the desire to drop the series...personally I wish we would drop it and pick up a high level ACC or another Big East series...While UM can put a good product on the floor, I just feel the national scene would play better for us in the long run....Recruiting is about relationships...always has been, always will be...but distant is a factor as well...With the talent in Memphis (even though qualifying and keeping them is school can be a challenge as a rule) NO coach at UM should EVER win less than 20 games a season what with the schedule they play and the amount of recruits that literally fall in your back door...of course you have to do what they did this year often to make the big dance with the RPI being what it is....win the conference tourney..and the football series DEFINITELY needs to be dropped in my opinion....I would prefer a home and home with a Big Ten school anyway...

Seems like sound logic. Teams want to establish themselves in Memphis for recruiting purposes. Beating the local school would go a long way to do that. Don't give them the chance. Not sure whats the positive for Memphis.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Seems like sound logic. Teams want to establish themselves in Memphis for recruiting purposes. Beating the local school would go a long way to do that. Don't give them the chance. Not sure whats the positive for Memphis.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Strength of Schedule. Nothing more.

I don't think the article says what you think it says.

We play Tennessee, but if it was up to me I’d like to get rid of that series,” Pastner said.

I know he is talking about recruiting but shying away from a series pretty much says you can't recruit over them. I wouldn't like one our coaches saying we would want to give up a series of an in-state rival because we would lose recruits. It just doesn't sound right especially from a C-USA coach who need all the non-conference games to help their pathetic rpi.

If we were judgement day honest, playing a home and home doesn't help Tennessee that much...Knoxville is just a long way away for the Memphis kids...I can understand that....of course the whipping Memphis has taken, especially in recent years, might increase the desire to drop the series...personally I wish we would drop it and pick up a high level ACC or another Big East series...While UM can put a good product on the floor, I just feel the national scene would play better for us in the long run....Recruiting is about relationships...always has been, always will be...but distant is a factor as well...With the talent in Memphis (even though qualifying and keeping them is school can be a challenge as a rule) NO coach at UM should EVER win less than 20 games a season what with the schedule they play and the amount of recruits that literally fall in your back door...of course you have to do what they did this year often to make the big dance with the RPI being what it is....win the conference tourney..and the football series DEFINITELY needs to be dropped in my opinion....I would prefer a home and home with a Big Ten school anyway...

This is the first year in as many as I can remember that we don't have a premier college football program (whether currently or historically) on the schedule. Asking to drop Memphis for another high-profile team is suicide. We can't handle it.

He is just protecting his home turf. Nothing wrong with that.

I am just saying that he shouldn't of stated it like he did. How many players do you sign a year in basketball? Not many unless you are sending players to the league. As another poster said it is all about relationships. He already has the inside track on relationships with local AAU and high school coaches to sway the kids to Tiger High. I just thought publicly saying he didn't want to play Arkansas or Tennessee in rebuilding mode would look bad. Maybe I am wrong but the biggest thing that Pearl and Summit(Pat does everything right)did to elevate our programs was to play the best non conference schedule.

I am just saying that he shouldn't of stated it like he did. How many players do you sign a year in basketball? Not many unless you are sending players to the league. As another poster said it is all about relationships. He already has the inside track on relationships with local AAU and high school coaches to sway the kids to Tiger High. I just thought publicly saying he didn't want to play Arkansas or Tennessee in rebuilding mode would look bad. Maybe I am wrong but the biggest thing that Pearl and Summit(Pat does everything right)did to elevate our programs was to play the best non conference schedule.

Correct. They do that. Knoxville also isn't a hotbed. The less city of Memphis recruits see of Tennessee, the better it is for Memphis. He's only looking out for the good of his team.

I see Pastner's point, but it still sounds weak that he wants to end the UT series. I bet if he were beating the big state school every year, he'd want to keep playing. But, he's 0-2.

I see Pastner's point, but it still sounds weak that he wants to end the UT series. I bet if he were beating the big state school every year, he'd want to keep playing. But, he's 0-2.

Calipari didn't want the series, either. It has nothing to do with Pastner and everything to do with sheltering the local kids.

Calipari didn't want the series, either. It has nothing to do with Pastner and everything to do with sheltering the local kids.

I see the point. Hypothetically, suppose Knoxville was a hotbed of Bronx -like or whatever talent and we had a long Non-conference rivalry with UNC. UT Coach Martin after losing games said to the public media that he wished he could cancel the series so they don't steal our recruits.:cray: It sounds bad on the program too me. IMO
It also looked bad on UT to cancel the UNCseries in football because we are rebuilding. We saw how evenly matched we were and should never shy away from competition but thats just me.

I see the point. Hypothetically, suppose Knoxville was a hotbed of Bronx -like or whatever talent and we had a long Non-conference rivalry with UNC. UT Coach Martin after losing games said to the public media that he wished he could cancel the series so they don't steal our recruits.:cray: It sounds bad on the program too me. IMO
It also looked bad on UT to cancel the UNCseries in football because we are rebuilding. We saw how evenly matched we were and should never shy away from competition but thats just me.

That's not an equivalent comparison.

These are the circumstances that have to be met in order for the comparison to tread water

1. Knoxville is a hotbed for recruiting
2. UT is historically decent in basketball, to the point local kids have no problem choosing to go there
3. There isn't a legitimate team nearby to compete for the talent in Knoxville
4. A relatively close (bad) team you've been playing for years, out of conference, gets a new coach
5. That coach turns around the previously poor competitor, and draws national attention
6. That team turns a one-time cakewalk into a legitimate series

Now you've got what has happened between Tennessee and Memphis.

All in all, the choice to stop playing Tennessee is ultimately the choice to shield local recruits from other teams that you don't necessarily have to play, and by doing so, can put up a wall around your city.

That's not an equivalent comparison.

These are the circumstances that have to be met in order for the comparison to tread water

1. Knoxville is a hotbed for recruiting
2. UT is historically decent in basketball, to the point local kids have no problem choosing to go there
3. There isn't a legitimate team nearby to compete for the talent in Knoxville
4. A relatively close (bad) team you've been playing for years, out of conference, gets a new coach
5. That coach turns around the previously poor competitor, and draws national attention
6. That team turns a one-time cakewalk into a legitimate series

Now you've got what has happened between Tennessee and Memphis.

All in all, the choice to stop playing Tennessee is ultimately the choice to shield local recruits from other teams that you don't necessarily have to play, and by doing so, can put up a wall around your city.

I know it was a big hypothetical and didn't want to go into all the factors especially with all that has happened but thanks for making that list. My only point is it sounds bad to say it out loud to the media. If I was a recruit deciding to attend UT or Memphis. After hearing a coach say that it would lead me reevaluate my decision why he would say that.(scared of programs like UT and Arky is pathetic) especially now. Memphis is a basketball school and the kids know that. Tennessee is a hopefully going to be a basketball and football school again.

I know it was a big hypothetical and didn't want to go into all the factors especially with all that has happened but thanks for making that list. My only point is it sounds bad to say it out loud to the media. If I was a recruit deciding to attend UT or Memphis. After hearing a coach say that it would lead me reevaluate my decision why he would say that.(scared of programs like UT and Arky is pathetic) especially now. Memphis is a basketball school and the kids know that. Tennessee is a hopefully going to be a basketball and football school again.

Again? When were we ever both?

We were never both. We are trying to be a football school again, but basketball we will see. I try to dream of the best possible future.:)

We were never both? Never? (I know you didn't make the statement...but why agree to it?) Unless a person is 11 years old, Tennessee is a basketball and football school historically. UT is competitive in both and can beat anybody in either...and has. Any given year or even a long period any school can suck at one or the other or even both...but Alabama, UT, Florida, Auburn, Georgia (and others) are both basketball and football schools. Look at the facilities and attendance. Vandy is not. KY is not. Memphis is not. Regardless of what calamari or anyone else says....Conference titles mean something to schools and players. UT may never win a NCAA title in BB....neither will 200 other teams and some are huge BB schools. Well, consider it anyway. :)

VN Store

Back