If Chris Jones does not qualify...

volwarrior33

He'll in all likelihood end up at Northwest Florida State College, where Steve Forbes is the new head coach.

I heard this last night and did some digging. Easterwood on the Memphis boards believes the same thing.

Not sure how that would work, but Easterwood said he believes Jones will eventually end up in Knoxville, even if it isn't this summer or fall.

Will definitely be interesting to follow.

I don't know why (and I'm probably ignorant) some of these kids have such a hard time qualifying academically in school. To me, with the limited knowledge I have about high school athletes, I feel like the coaches aren't prepping these star athletes with the foreknowledge of the importance of maintaining a strong GPA to be set for college. Like I said, I'm probably ignorant, but that's just my superficial opinion.

Oh to know the inside of a highly recruited 18 year old brain. How soon we forget those golden years!!!

Hope he makes it but, probably why we loaded up with guys that can play the point.
Just in case?

I have never seen anything from a credible source showing that he needs anything outside of improving his ACT by 1 pt. I don't know why so many people feel he won't qualify unless there are other issues I don't know about.

I have never seen anything from a credible source showing that he needs anything outside of improving his ACT by 1 pt. I don't know why so many people feel he won't qualify unless there are other issues I don't know about.

Clearinghouse will be the problem.

And 3 high schools in one semester doesn't look great at all.

I don't know why (and I'm probably ignorant) some of these kids have such a hard time qualifying academically in school. To me, with the limited knowledge I have about high school athletes, I feel like the coaches aren't prepping these star athletes with the foreknowledge of the importance of maintaining a strong GPA to be set for college. Like I said, I'm probably ignorant, but that's just my superficial opinion.

I am baffled by this as well. Most of these kids know their freshman year in HS if not before that they are a D1 prospect. IMO, you have to blame the parents as much..in not more than the coaches. Maybe it is different now a days..but when I played ball in HS..if my grades were not up to par(anything below a C) meant I was not playing ball. This was my parents rule and I knew to follow it. Parents who allow their child to bring home D's and F's and or Incompletes while still playing sports....are setting them up to fail.

:confused: Post fails for me on a couple of levels.

What he's saying is that the chances are always 50/50. Mathematically there is no 70/30 (or any other percentage) when there are only 2 outcomes. Either he makes it in or he doesn't, thus the probability is 50/50.

If he makes it in, we will be fine and if he doesn't, we'll still be fine. Not going to stress over it.

I have to agree with the other poster about parents being responsible for the kids grades. The coaches and faculty are usually on these kids about their grades, but the coaches aren't going to kick the kid off their teams when they have a chance to go D1. They are just going to stay on them. The parents have to be the hammers. My daughter isn't a D1 prospect, but she plays 2 HS sports and the rule in my house is anything less than a B and your not playing. My son's in Middle School and he plays soccer and the same rule applies. Parents need to be the ones demanding excellence and they need to be backing it up. If they aren't then they are very poor parents and probably ignorant themselves.

And I'm not saying Jones falls into this category. The above was a general statement.

I am baffled by this as well. Most of these kids know their freshman year in HS if not before that they are a D1 prospect. IMO, you have to blame the parents as much..in not more than the coaches. Maybe it is different now a days..but when I played ball in HS..if my grades were not up to par(anything below a C) meant I was not playing ball. This was my parents rule and I knew to follow it. Parents who allow their child to bring home D's and F's and or Incompletes while still playing sports....are setting them up to fail.

i agree with you when i played if you got a d you could not dress out ,and as one of the starters coach expected us to be smarter ,if we got a c we would have to sit out a quarter or a half of a game.i was a freshman at lmu when i got my first bad grade i missed a final because the week before we weren,t required to come to class if we didnt ,so i didnt,and by my horror the whole class voted to take exam a say early and i lived off campus and no one could contact me,i had a 3.8 gpa seventh in class.and a 30 on act and i never studid .but i know several people personally that faild 2 years and only got a b or above in phys ed .and one played at lee collage,another played at carson newman and one ran track at uga
Posted via VolNation Mobile

So is Martin making a mistake by pursuing this kid?

So is Martin making a mistake by pursuing this kid?

I am of the opinion that if a kid has not taken his HS work seriously and put in the effort to keep his grades in order, then I would rather we did not spend the time recruiting them. I have read alot on here about how Jones has grade issues. I also read where his only issue is switching schools 3 times. If it is just an issue of switching schools, I am all for recruiting him.

If a kid feels going to class and making the grade to play is not worth the time.....then that young man is not worth our time. The whole idea of spending thousands of dollars visiting these kids, having them on campus, and trying to sweet talk them into being a VOL seems silly to me when they are known to be a sign and place. Sure...maybe 2-3 years down the road they qualify and could get into school....but then we spend thousands of dollars more re-recruiting them when that money and time would be better spent on kids who are a little more responsible.

Go Vols!

To be honest, most of these kids were born with two strikes, depending on where they were born.

VN Store

Back