Recruiting and the big shoe companies. . .

Mattlock

Just noticed that Josh Richardson plays for AAU team sponsored by Adidas.

I'm assuming Selby last year played for a Nike sponsored team and he eventually went to a Nike school.

Just looked up Tobias' AAU team, at looks like he was sponsored by Nike too. . .

For you guys that know way more about AAU ball than I ever will, how much sway do the shoe companies actually hold over these kids on high profile AAU teams during the recruiting process?

I dont think it is as big of a deal as most people make it. Kids will go to the best school they can where they have the best chance to win and to get playing time. The only place I think that a brand would make a difference would be Oregon, they have some pretty crazy uniforms that attract alot of recruits. JMO

I dont think it is as big of a deal as most people make it. Kids will go to the best school they can where they have the best chance to win and to get playing time. The only place I think that a brand would make a difference would be Oregon, they have some pretty crazy uniforms that attract alot of recruits. JMO

So kids follow Calipari around for coaching I guess? Shoe companies have a lot of influence and so do AAU coaches. Guess what football and these recruiting services are the next big shoe to drop. See Oregon for details.

there was some incident with players from Memphis area having to go to some Memphis junior day or something or having their invite to a nike all-star game pulled, right? They wanted to go to UT's - or maybe that was some dumb rumor by a guy who knows Easterwood or whatever his name is that everyone hates. I guess it can affect which schools they see mostly.. but probably not their final decision unless they just didn't get enough time at a school due to that.

there was some incident with players from Memphis area having to go to some Memphis junior day or something or having their invite to a nike all-star game pulled, right? They wanted to go to UT's - or maybe that was some dumb rumor by a guy who knows Easterwood or whatever his name is that everyone hates. I guess it can affect which schools they see mostly.. but probably not their final decision unless they just didn't get enough time at a school due to that.

I remember that.

I'm going to have to agree with Yankee Vol. A couple years ago, it seemed like a bigger topic, but when I go into Champs, Finish Line, FootLocker, etc. now, the only pro bball shoe models any store carries are the LeBrons, Kobes, and less frequently, the D. Rose, D. Howards, and J. Walls. The trend here is that the players who get even mildly successful show contracts are the creme of the crop - maybe one professional player every 2 years. Furthermore, more than half of the aforementioned athletes didn't even go to college. So, I would intuit that these kids are smart enough to realize that where they go to college probably won't have an impact on potential shoe contracts.

Derrick Rose is the only player I can think of at the moment who has their own shoes, in which the brand matches that of his college team.

Last edited:
If shoe companies played that big of a role than Oregon would have good players to go with that ugly court.

VN Store

Back