Emmanuel Negedu's basketball career is over

Shouldve never left Knoxville, but I understand he wanted to try and play
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I completely agree. Playing on a bum knee is one thing, but allowing a guy to play with a potential life threatening heart condition is reckless.

When you've got a kid who has died, that's where you draw the line. Sorry, E, but for your own good, you cannot play. That New Mexico was stupid enough to give him a shot makes me question the ethics of their doctors.

He played in only 10 games last season and led the team in rebounding three times, but at halftime of a pre-Christmas game vs. The Citadel, his internal defibrillator produced a reading that led doctors to keep him from finishing the game. He never returned to competition.

It looks like they were taking precautions and monitoring it pretty closely.

Actually I think this story broke a while back? Seems like I remember posting in that thread as well, lol.

It looks like they were taking precautions and monitoring it pretty closely.

Actually I think this story broke a while back? Seems like I remember posting in that thread as well, lol.

E was lucky it was just a bad reading that they got. For the 2nd time, he could have died.

Good luck to him in life. Life being the key point. Sorry his career is over, but glad to see UT had this one right and nothing bad happened to E.

Poor E. I understand he wanted to play but his life is way too important to take a chance like that. He will look back on this in 20years when he has a wife and kid and be thankful that he stop.

This is sad news, but the risk is greater than the reward on this one. I wish he could play.

Glad E is okay. That is what is important. Basketball should have always been secondary. Now finish your degree.

i'd rather live. besides he wasn't nba material. he had better get his degree and move on.

I still hate that any school was dumb enough to put him in danger.

I disagree.... Each person is responsible for making those choices for their own life. Im glad he is ok and able to hopefully live a full life.

I disagree.... Each person is responsible for making those choices for their own life. Im glad he is ok and able to hopefully live a full life.

Correct. If he wants to die, he should go ahead and start playing pick-up at UNM's rec center.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given to me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

The doctors that cleared him to play at UNM broke their Hippocratic Oath. Their job is to save Negedu from himself, and they failed.

Last edited:
Despite Pearl's glaring moral deficiency during his time at UT, he handled the E-man situation with a ton of class. No way any school should have let him play, especially with all the heart-related deaths we've seen lately in basketball.

Despite Pearl's glaring moral deficiency during his time at UT, he handled the E-man situation with a ton of class. No way any school should have let him play, especially with all the heart-related deaths we've seen lately in basketball.

Exactly. I was livid for E that those doctors were so stupid.

It's a shame. E-man was one of the finest athletes I'd ever seen. His size and speed was absolutely unheard of.

I still say that EMan shouldn't have pursued playing after the incident, and I'm still adamant that New Mexico made a terrible decision allowing him to play.

VN Store

Back