Hopson dropping

orangepeopleeater

Granted these mock drafts are not worth much, but is it a sign that Hopson has dropped from the mid-40's to the Spurs at pick 60 .... the last player expected taken. Is the players in the second round even guaranteed a contract?

Scotty Dude has been too busy prepping for the pros to go to classes. Does that tell us anything? He's headed for Europe even if he gets drafted.

It's been 3 years - he obviously has some issues that aren't going to be fixed while he's here and may not ever - his draft stock - as low as it may be won't be getting any higher.. he might as well go and play in Europe so no reason to bash him.

They really don't talk that well of Scotty. His strengths are about half as long as his weaknesses.

Weaknesses: Must add bulk to his frame ... Was easily knocked off balance on drives to the hoop last season and, despite a quick first step, had difficulty shedding defenders when closely guarded ... Does not currently possess the strength to finish in traffic ... His game is marked by passivity ... Attempted under two free throw attempts per contest ... Too often stands behind the three point line, feet locked to the ground, with his hands out ... Does not make a concerted effort to move without the ball or get open ... Half of his field goal attempts came from distance ... Ball handling is quite questionable ... Very rarely attempts a drive from the three point line to the basket ... Does not create offense for others ... His offensive game lacks imagination and is very predictable and one dimensional at this stage ... His three key areas for improvement: strength, ball handling and aggression, all go hand in hand ... Has worked hard to lower the exceedingly high arch on his jumper which placed restraints on his consistency ... Needs to become more active on the glass where he averaged under 3 boards as a freshman ... Does not battle for position ... Needs to find the fire and desire to compete on defense when his energy level is too low.

Last edited:
some of those weaknesses were caused by and then exploited by the severe lack of a half-court offense under pearl. scotty has alot of upside... which might be enough for a GM to give him a shot this year. if he'd maintained that late sec stretch of consistency he'd probably be a first rounder.

i'm sure he doesn't realize what playing 36-38 minutes a game in a real half-court offense under CCM might do for his nba stock... and learning to dribble of course.

Last edited:
They really don't talk that well of Scotty. His strengths are about half as long as his weaknesses.

Weaknesses: Must add bulk to his frame ... Was easily knocked off balance on drives to the hoop last season and, despite a quick first step, had difficulty shedding defenders when closely guarded ... Does not currently possess the strength to finish in traffic ... His game is marked by passivity ... Attempted under two free throw attempts per contest ... Too often stands behind the three point line, feet locked to the ground, with his hands out ... Does not make a concerted effort to move without the ball or get open ... Half of his field goal attempts came from distance ... Ball handling is quite questionable ... Very rarely attempts a drive from the three point line to the basket ... Does not create offense for others ... His offensive game lacks imagination and is very predictable and one dimensional at this stage ... His three key areas for improvement: strength, ball handling and aggression, all go hand in hand ... Has worked hard to lower the exceedingly high arch on his jumper which placed restraints on his consistency ... Needs to become more active on the glass where he averaged under 3 boards as a freshman ... Does not battle for position ... Needs to find the fire and desire to compete on defense when his energy level is too low.

Now if I am he and am seriously considering my prospects for being a real pro now and have talked with/read comments from draft analysts; I would really think hard about playing for CCM who will get me stronger, in better shape, playing better defense and probably make me a better shooter and dribble driver. But that's just me. I have a hard time with hillbilly English, much less a foreign language. Scotty may be good at it.

Weaknesses: ... Has worked hard to lower the exceedingly high arch on his jumper which placed restraints on his consistency ...

did anyone else hear Gottfried say during one of our games that Scotty has worked to ADD arc to his shot?! :eek:k:

When i first saw the title, i thought it was talking about scotty dropping the ball while trying to dribble.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Weaknesses: Must add bulk to his frame ... Was easily knocked off balance on drives to the hoop last season and, despite a quick first step, had difficulty shedding defenders when closely guarded ... Does not currently possess the strength to finish in traffic ...His game is marked by passivity ... Attempted under two free throw attempts per contest ... Too often stands behind the three point line, feet locked to the ground, with his hands out ... Does not make a concerted effort to move without the ball or get open ... Half of his field goal attempts came from distance ... Ball handling is quite questionable ... Very rarely attempts a drive from the three point line to the basket ... Does not create offense for others ... His offensive game lacks imagination and is very predictable and one dimensional at this stage ... His three key areas for improvement: strength, ball handling and aggression, all go hand in hand ... Has worked hard to lower the exceedingly high arch on his jumper which placed restraints on his consistency ... Needs to become more active on the glass where he averaged under 3 boards as a freshman ... Does not battle for position ... Needs to find the fire and desire to compete on defense when his energy level is too low.

It's really kind of sad how much of the stuff scouts are questioning about Hopson is a function of simple effort.

It's really kind of sad how much of the stuff scouts are questioning about Hopson is a function of simple effort.

This^ is so true. Not that CCM wouldn't gladly welcome Hopson but if he had any thoughts in his mind about possibly coming back I would think he would have met in person with CCM already.

A. Scotty needs to come back
B. We need Scotty to stay

Darn...didn't make it inb4 "hope Scotty took a foreign language class" joke.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out how playing in a year of a half-court offense wouldn't be good for Scottie. Oh well.

Scotty Dude has been too busy prepping for the pros to go to classes. Does that tell us anything? He's headed for Europe even if he gets drafted.

Actually, Scotty made arrangements with his professors to be absent from class and take care of his course load. If memory serves me correctly, Scotty has been a good student since he enrolled at Tennessee.

None of the above should be taken to mean that he will be returning. Still, he does not deserve to be grouped into the players that stop caring about school, because they are going to be pros regardless(think Josh Selby). If it was guaranteed that he was going pro, why has he not hired an agent yet?

VN Store

Back